1998 2.0 headlight bulb - meltonlad
ive got a 1998 vectra. the other day a had to replace the n/s headlight bulb but in the last 4 days its blowen 3 bulbs all the same (n/s headlight) all the wires look fine and ive not messed with any wires. any help would be good as its costing me loads to keep replacing them.
1998 2.0 headlight bulb - Woodspeed
If it is only the one bulb blowing, I suppose you could rule out over voltage from the alternator. Presume the bulb has a known make on it, as is not a box of 10 for £10 off eBay or a boot sale? Some of the really cheap Easy Euro rubbish will not focus, and will blow with a white tinge to the bulb (air entering).
the bulbs are costing me £10 a time from halfords. so im not happy with it keep blowing....
1998 2.0 headlight bulb - Peter D
Check the reflector is secure on it's adjustable ball joins as it could be vibration killing the bulbs or you travel on roads with some wicked speed bumps. Regards Peter
1998 2.0 headlight bulb - elekie&a/c doctor
Why don't you try a genuine bulb from Vauxhall;they are cheaper.
1998 2.0 headlight bulb - Dynamic Dave
Presumably you're not touching the glass part of the bulb with your bare hands? (Sorry if thats teaching grandma to suck eggs.)

Also, have you tried measuring the voltage going to the bulb?
£10 each? Assuming this is a H4, that is a lot of money each. Wonder whether it is one of the superbright designs, which are over run and do have a shorter life (but months rather than days).
Assuming the old bulb had been in for a while, I would still guess (which is all we can all do) that you have been unlucky with a bad batch. The voltage may be high (but that would probably kill the others too). Vibration also kills bulbs if it the connections or holder is loose. May be worth squirting some switch cleaner in the holder (not WD40) and make sure the holder goes on tight. Can you see if the filament on a blown bulb has split, (vibration) or come off the filament holder at the ends of the wires (manufacturing fault). Is the inside of the bulb white or smoky grey (faulty seal) when it blows?
1998 2.0 headlight bulb - Dynamic Dave
£10 each? Assuming this is a H4

More likely a H7. I've just bought a pair of Osram nightbreakers for £14.99 from ebay. To be honest I can't see any difference to the old bulbs. The H1's for the main beam however are a vast improvement over the old bulbs.
Nightbreaker is one of the new types of higher output bulb for the same wattage. The manufacturers claim it is made with a more accurately placed filament for better focus, of a thinner and improved filament alloy which burns hotter (and brighter). A higher pressure inert gas is used in the bulb to prevent the hotter filament depositing black onto the glass. However, their own claims on average life is lower than a conventional bulb. I have used them in H4 and H7 sizes, and indeed there is a noticeable improvement in range and brightness. But they do not last as long. However, I am talking months and not days.
rite i replaced the bulb AGAIN the other day and it was a cheap one from me local garage and it aint blowen yet so all i can think is that halfords must of have a crap batch in ! do you think i should take them back and see if they refund me ?
1998 2.0 headlight bulb - gordonbennet
I have used them in H4 and H7 sizes and indeed there is a noticeable
improvement in range

I bought some H4 Philips 'extreme' bulbs last week for my old MB with square headlamps.
I took the blurb with a pinch of salt, but Autoexpress did some tests and these and the Osrams came out top.
Anyway, i can't believe just how good and white the dipped beam is, don't mind if the life is shorter, it only takes 2 minutes to fit them anyway.
Don't know if its me, but i'm sure the dipped beam pattern is better defined now with less scatter, so probably less blinding to oncomers too.
The main beam is superb.

Put a set in the pick up now so hopefully that will be better too.

£18 a pair incl post off a particularly useful flea bay seller, well worth the cost.