Fuel Card - cax05
I use fleet vehicles and I have to pay for my own fuel, am I entitled to a fuel card?
Fuel Card - rtj70
Are you referring to personal or company miles. If personal miles, then unless you are given a fuel benefit (and therefore a fuel card) then no. Why would you think you're entitled?

If you pay for fuel and claim back business miles, then that is how a lot of companies operate?

And if you got personal mileage paid for, this benefit is taxable at source. So you pay something but depending on mileage maybe not as much as the fuel itself.

Edited by rtj70 on 19/01/2009 at 21:47

Fuel Card - smokie
Not sure I understand the question - you mean one provided by your employer? If so, it's usually part of your terms and conditions if you are. There aren't any legal requirements around provision of fuel cards - but there is a clear tax position.
Fuel Card - v8man
Do you "own" a company car as part of your remuneration? Do you drive more business miles than private? Or do you simply use pool cars if you need to go out?

Edited by v8man on 19/01/2009 at 23:00

Fuel Card - astrabob
I have a company car, which is required for my job. My company has issued me with a fuel card.

All business miles have to be accounted for. (I personally record them in a spreadsheet, with the places visited). Any extra miles are private miles.

Every month, I submit the total number of business and private miles to the fuel card company. The fuel cost of the private miles is deducted directly from my pay. My fuel card is specific both to my car and to me. The car mileage is recorded every time I fill up.

If you fill up the company vehicle which is for company business, there needs to be a way to reimburse you for the cost. Fuel cards are generally convenient for both company and employee. The other way I suppose would be via an expense claim.

Fuel Card - Pugugly
We used to keep log books (old fashioned pen and paper) worked like a dream.
Fuel Card - rtj70
Our system for fuel card holders (assuming you're not more senior and get fuel but pay tax) works like this:

- You guess annual mileage
- You guess monthly fuel cost
- Monthly fuel cost is deducted monthly from salary automatically

Then:

- Submit expenses - even if no business mileage done
- Pro-rata business/personal mileage worked out
- Pro-rata cost of fuel calculated
- If the pro-rata fuel cost is below the previous monthly charge you are credited the difference. If more then you will pay the difference (more).

Somehow I keep getting money back most months. When I paid for fuel and claimed back I seemed to be worse off. I estimated when diesel high in cost but personal miles low(ish).

The advantage to the company is obvious. But there are advantages to me too. I am sure you can work it out if business miles (high MPG low cost) and personal miles (low MPG and higher cost) is involved.

Fuel Card - v8man
astrabob that is exactly my position.
Fuel Card - R75
a fair while ago a company I worked for changed their system. It went from a fuel card which I paid the company for my private mileage at 8ppm to me having to put the fuel in the car and then I had a choice, I could either claim the mileage from the company, or claim the full cost of the fuel and then deduct 8ppm for private mileage.

At the time I was putting in at least £150 a week of fuel, so ended up getting an advance off of the company for 6 weeks worth of running and then putting that into a completely separate bank account!!!

It was all just hassle but there was no way I was going to fund the company for minimum of 4 weeks worth of fuel per month!!!

Other companies I have had fuel cards and then just submitted private mileage. This seems to be by far the best way to me, can't understand companies who won't use fuel cards, at the end of the day they can normally get a much better ppl rate from a fuel card then they can get at the pump!!!
Fuel Card - smokie
Well here's my flavour. I have my own car but a company fuel card. All fuel is paid-for by the company, and the perk for me is that I don't have to pay them back for private mileage. So I declare full petrol cost to the taxman, which means it is all taxed, but then I claim the 40/25p a mile for business miles (which I record on a spreadsheet. Don't remember how pencil and paper works...)
Fuel Card - rtj70
If you get private miles on a fuel card, you'll be paying tax on that benefit though as well aren't you smokie?
Fuel Card - smokie
Yep. But it means my private fuel only costs me whatever the income tax comes to on the pump price. Hence the 3.2 :-) (Used to tow a caravan as well!!)
Fuel Card - cax05
I can use a different vehicle each time I go away and sometimes that can be £70 about 3 times a week and my allowance bearly covers that.
Fuel Card - rtj70
Are you saying you pay for fuel for the car and get an allowance for fuel which does not cover that cost? Can you provide more details?
Fuel Card - Wildie
Sorry, no free advertising. smokie

Edited by smokie on 15/04/2009 at 13:12

Fuel Card - Hamsafar
Insufficient information to formulate a meaningful reply.