Clio 172 or Focus ST170? - cally77
hi, in the market for a car for a bit of weekend fun due to running diesel during week to work.. must be 4 seater.. got it down to the above? any advice on which one or something different. have upto 4k, cheers

Edited by Pugugly on 19/01/2009 at 18:50

clio 172 or focus st170? - MikeTorque
Take some advice, get some training first on how to safely drive a performance car on the public road first, otherwise you risk ending up like the bloke down the road did the other week in a head-on crash and in fighting for his life in hospital.
clio 172 or focus st170? - cally77
don't worry, i aint no boy racer i'm 32 with 12 years no claims, no accidents, zero points on my licence, (touch wood) and had all sorts of sports cars including impreza's.. its not for a drive fast purpose, its just that i like the hot hatch thing..
clio 172 or focus st170? - Alanovich
A Citroen 2CV6 is tremendous fun as a weekend runabout. Soft top, too. And 4/5 seats.
clio 172 or focus st170? - Altea Ego
The St170 is the one to go for.
clio 172 or focus st170? - DP
As a big fan of the Focus 1, I'd normally say the Ford, and if you needed a daily driver, I almost certainly would, but the Clio 172 is an absolutely cracking little car. If you're looking for a pure fun machine, I suspect when you drive both you'll make your own mind up pretty quickly. The Clio is by far the better hot hatch of the two. Not much in it handling wise, but the Clio is far quicker, and just has that "thrash me" feel that a good hot hatch should. The ST should have been far, far better than it was given what it's based on.
clio 172 or focus st170? - cally77
cheers for reply, i thought clio would feel faster due to it being smaller.. just have to go and get a test drive!!
clio 172 or focus st170? - nick1975
many say the clio is a bit flimsy, trim a bit loose etc so you might struggle to find a tidy one

the st170 was generally considered to be more of a cruiser

the other option would be the leon cupra, but watch the insurance on that one, grp17 or so

the real canny choice would be a xsara vts, very cheap, very good
clio 172 or focus st170? - woodster
CLIO! Hot Hatch. Focus - warmish...like my slippers!
clio 172 or focus st170? - MikeTorque
cally77, the bloke down the road was driving an Impreza when he crashed head-on, take it easy out there, stuff happens.
clio 172 or focus st170? - grumpyscot
Clio - electrical problems likely Focus - mundane, but safe and probably more relilable

Skoda Fabia VRS Diesel - now that WOULD be a fun car!
clio 172 or focus st170? - DP
Skoda Fabia VRS Diesel - now that WOULD be a fun car!

A friend has one of these, and they are amazingly good fun, but you'd be looking at a fairly rough one for £4k, and the handling isn't in the same league as the Renault or Ford. Too much weight up front.

My money would still be on the Clio. Had the Volvo not come up when it did for the price it did, I would have probably bought one myself last year. The spec is fairly basic so not too much to go wrong, and both Renaults I've had long term experience with have been good cars in any case.