99 2.0 HDI front suspension ride height problem - stewil007
Hi,

my 2.0 HDi SX started bouncing recently, so checking the forums it appeared the first port of call was to change the spheres.

The rear suspension seems fine but its the front which appears to have the problem.

I've changed the 2 wheel spheres as directed, performed the 'citrerobics' - up and down 5 times.

The problem now is that the front suspension doesn't raise or lower to the normal ride height.
If i select Max height - the car will rise to the full height
If i select Min height - the car will fall to the lowest level.

The rear suspension moves back to the normal ride height when i select it, but the front won't go. IF I am at Max the front will stay at Max, if I am Min, the front will stay at Max

The LHM level (from what I can tell) is high - at the Max height the indicator is above the higher of the two red rings.

From the myriad of posts and problems, I'm getting a bit bogged down in what i should do next.

Can anybody advise what is best to do next?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Pugugly on 19/01/2009 at 22:37

99 2.0 HDI Front Suspension Ride Height Problem - rip
you may like to post your message on the site below- a site dedicated to citroen and the xantia in particular

www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

99 2.0 HDI Front Suspension Ride Height Problem - stewil007
Well i would ask that site if they ever activated my account...i am still waiting for the validation email from their mods!!

Obviously, if anybody can advise in the meantime, it would be appreciated!
99 2.0 HDI Front Suspension Ride Height Problem - mjm
Your next port of call is to check the front height corrector. This is fixed to the front subframe with a link to the anti-roll bar. There is a plastic link in the mechanism which can break/fall off. The linkage can also sieze up.

Not wishing to teach grandma to suck eggs but

Make sure that the car is well supported on axle stands before going under it. Don't rely on the hydraulics to hold it up.

Please try again with the frenchcarforum, the experts there are a good bunch. I think they had a few computer/server problems a while ago and may have lost some data.
Cheers MJM,

thanks for the safety advise, i've read it a million times on the forums but it never hurts to hear one more time....better that than a squashed head!!

I'll check the plastic link tonight see if i have any joy!

Cheers

Steve
99 2.0 HDI Front Suspension Ride Height Problem - Peter.N.
If your car is hydractive you need to change the centre sphere as well, that is the one mainly responsible for the soft ride. The 'bouncing' would indicate that is flat as well.
99 2.0 HDI Front Suspension Ride Height Problem - glowplug
Sounds like the linkage has become stiff and popped off the 'dogbone' as suggested by MJM. Ideally they need lubricating several times per year.

Only Hydractive on VSX and Exclusive model Xantias.

Steve.
Thanks for the advise all, in the end it was the plastic link - £2.40 from the citroen garage!!

If anybody else is new to this and would like some advice - be prepared for the fiddliest little job you'll ever probably do....lol.

Access to the where the clip goes is ridiculous in the extreme (IMO)

Make sure you lube up the 2 coils with plenty of WD40/grease first before attaching the new clip and try and free the coils up a bit first....trust me, it'll save you some time.

Finally, do this job on ramps. You need to have the body weight on the wheels/suspension. The clip wasn't lined up with the metal clip on the roll bar so by using a hydraulic jack, we where able to raise/lower the front end accordingly to make sure the clip was in the right place to attach to the metal clip

And the advice about the French Car forum guys was spot on - they are a knowledgable bunch and quick to get back to you!!!

regards

Steve