07 1.4 Gearbox oil change - James_Jameson
I have had a Yaris 1.4D4D from new (11,000 miles now) and would like to change the gearbox oil but, because it's still under warranty would prefer to get the main dealer do do the work. However, they insist the latest Yaris does not ever need a gearbox oil change. I said, I would still prefer it done, but they say "no need, it's got special oil that doesn't break down" etc etc. They claim even not to know the specification of the oil (as I said I still want it changed, saying the oil may not break down but it can still get "swarf" from a new gearbox.).
So, does anyone know the correct oil type to use? (I'll do the work myself, assuming Toyota provide drain and refill plug holes in the gearbox casing!)
07 1.4 Gearbox oil change - Dynamic Dave
If it were me then I wouldn't bother getting the gearbox oil changed. If it was such an issue then this (and other forums) would be full of people posting with gearbox related faults. You *could* actually induce a problem by not using the correct oil; under or overfilling; or risk a foreign body entering the box while trying to change the oil.

In its current state the box was most probably filled with oil in a clean environment. Something that can never be 100% achieved on your drive or your own garage floor.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/01/2009 at 18:49

07 1.4 Gearbox oil change - Woodspeed
Many manufacturers do not even put a drain plug on gearboxes or back axles and it is considered unnecessary to change gear oil. Most factory fills are now done with a special MTF (manual transmission fluid) oil and it can be difficult to buy it in change amounts rather than just top up. Honda for 1999 said top up with engine oil was OK, but 2.5 litres of their MTF is £45 and it is known peope who change the oil to engine oil then complain of "more effort in shift required".
Follow the advice of Toyota and dealer and leave it alone. However if you must DIY, then Castrol suggest Castrol Syntrax Universal 75w-90 semi-synthetic gear oil.
07 1.4 Gearbox oil change - MadVlad
I'd wait until the warranty runs out before any attempt to D.I.Y. - with your mileage it's not that big a deal though. Try another Toyota dealer or a reputable independent if its really bothering you.
07 1.4 Gearbox oil change - James_Jameson
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the gearbox is very likely to have been filled in clean conditions with high-quality oil, but I can't help thinking a new gearbox will leave some "running in" junk in the oil. In fact, I recall even HJ himself recommended a gearbox oil change at least once in a vehicle's life, early on but not so early so initial running in is out of the way. (Maybe it's such an old memory and not relevant information for today's cars.)
07 1.4 Gearbox oil change - doctorchris
Modern gearboxes are built to much better tolerances and are better engineered so that swarf from running in is a thing of the past.
Like the other contributors to this post suggest, leave the original oil in the box.
I have found, after several years and a high mileage, that changing gear can stiffen up and a change of gearbox oil helps. This is in Fiats, however and I suspect would not be an issue with a Toyota.
07 1.4 Gearbox oil change - Fullchat
My Sorento is coming up 4 years old in May with 32 K on the clock. Collecting 3rd gear downwards 5th to 3rd was getting 'sticky'.
I had the gearbox oil changed and its smmoth as silk now.
SWMBO's 05 Focus, 38K, has similar issues and a gearbox oil change is on the cards. I'm hoping for similar results.