2003 2.0 'Chugging' noise on start up - AndrewMarc
Hi All

Thanks for all your advice in the past and unsurprisingly I have a further question.

On just starting my 53 reg Mondeo I occasionally have a chugging noise which happens for a couple of minutes and then settles down. Performance seems fine and there doesnt seem to be a specific reason but with the current weather conditions it could be the cold.

NB: My car does have A/C but I dont tend to use it .

If you have any questions feel free to ask and thanks in advance

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/01/2009 at 12:30

2003 2.0 'Chugging' noise on start up - AndrewMarc
I forgot to say before that the chugging noise appears to not be coming from the engine which is why i thought it may be due to the A/C

please help!
2003 2.0 'Chugging' noise on start up - Rich53
I get this once in a while - perhaps once in six weeks. I start the engine, and for about 5-10 seconds it sounds really rough and vibrates. Then it seems to clear, and all is normal. I suspect that it is starting on one or two cylinders only, and as soon as the rest chime in, all is well. Possibly glowplugs?
2003 2.0 'Chugging' noise on start up - skreech
is it worse if the car has been standing for a longer period of time. does anyone know if these cars have hydraulic tappets.
2003 2.0 'Chugging' noise on start up - Rich53
It has happened to me on restarting after stopping at Mway services, so I don't think it's related to length of time the car has stood idle. Actually, that also rules out temperature-related issues too, which sort of deals with my idea about glowplugs :(