1994 1.8d diesel addicted to "Easy Start" - humph
Hi,
As subject says just got a cheap car for my daughter.Needed a couple bits sorting but very solid body wise only rust is on front valence.
Anyway one of the problems is starting it in the morning it cranks like a good un but wont fire up,someone suggested trying easy start which i have done and true enough it starts first go with a squirt of easy start.
As im not exactly car or engine savvy i could do with a few pointers if possible as im told its bad to use easy start to much.Once its started in the morning it starts normally all day.
regards Ian.

Edited by Pugugly on 15/01/2009 at 22:43

1994 1.8d diesel addicted to easy start - injection doc
get the glow plugs & relay checked out first. Make sure the glow plugs heat up on the tips & very quickly.3-5 seconds.
1994 1.8d diesel addicted to easy start - humph
Hi thanks for quick reply,I should have mentioned that the glow plugs had just been replaced.I was given some history with the car and a bill for the glow plugs was included,fitted around a month ago.Could you advise where the relay is fixed and what it looks like. I cant find a haynes book for it in any local car shops even halfords have not got one.
thanks Ian
1994 1.8d diesel addicted to easy start - k9dan
Humph,
I had the same with a 97 diesel Mondeo, changed the glow plugs for cheap patterns which failed in a miserably short time, changed them for Bosch and no probs, make sure the replacement glow plugs are decent quality, don't go by date of change.
1994 1.8d diesel addicted to easy start - jayeastanglia
check you have got power at the glow plugs as well..
ok thanks guys will see what glow plugs have been fitted, I tried to check power to them with a small meter that a neighbour lent me and was getting 1.26 to 1.23 ohms.Dont know if that helps lol I am going to buy a proper auto voltage tester tommorrow whilst out working and check them again saturday when i get home.
thanks for the replies.
regards Ian
1994 1.8d diesel addicted to easy start - mfarrow
You're neighbours cheap meter will be good enough, unless it only reads reistance, but I'd be surprised if it did.

To check the voltage, put the meter on voltage setting, scale 20. Connect the red lead into the glow plug wire connector and the black lead to the battery negative (-) terminal. Should read 12V for a few seconds when someone puts the ignition on.

To check the glow plugs, put the meter on resistance setting, scale 20. Connect the red wire to the terminal on top of the glow plug, and the black lead to the battery negative (-) terminal. Should read only a few ohms at all times.
1994 1.8d diesel addicted to easy start - Peter D
To check the glow plugs you will have to disconnect them and test each one seperately. A glow plug is usually 1 to 1.5 ohms each. Regards Peter
ther are glow plugs & ther are glow plugs, the cheap ones can cost you a fortune in the long run when you look everywhere else for a problem than can result all along from poor plugs.
Remove & test. Check that just the tips heat up & very quickly. Ensure the relay is working & staying on longenough. Check the valve clearences as these may have closed up causing low compression at starting. If i starts & runs rough with whitish blueish smoke you could have the system airating over nite. Does it have the plunger on top of the diesel filter?
You could try putting a heavy duty cable from the battery to the glow plugs & if it starts you know the relay control is the issue.
1994 1.8d diesel addicted to easy start - Peter.N.
If all the gow plugs are working you will probably only have 10-11 volts across them. 12 volts would indicate that they are drawing little or no current.
If i starts & runs rough with whitish
blueish smoke you could have the system airating over nite. Does it have the plunger
on top of the diesel filter?
You could try putting a heavy duty cable from the battery to the glow plugs
& if it starts you know the relay control is the issue.

It does have the smoke you describe when it first starts,so the airating sounds like it could be the problem. Is there an easy way to bleed the system ? sorry if thats a stupid question as Im a real novice with cars.
I will also try the heavy duty jump lead idea in the morning to see if that makes any difference.
thanks Ian.
ok just been out and after standing all day it didnt start again so perfect time to get jump lead and connect +from battery to the top of the glow plug furthest from battery(last one in series).Hey presto started first go. So do i assume that the small squarish black plastic box thats fitted onto end of block is the relay ? it has 2 fuel pipes to it and a small connector plug on the bottom does that sound right ?.
Test will be 2morro morning after its stood all night and see if it works again with the jump lead.
Thanks to all that helped.
"just the droning noise now" lol.
Regards Ian
1994 1.8d diesel addicted to easy start - Peter D
No. The glow plug relay is on the end of the glow plud feed cables. Regards peter
1994 1.8d diesel addicted to easy start - DP
Good thinking. I wouldn't have thought of the jump lead idea.

Edited by DP on 17/01/2009 at 19:12

injection doc..
When you say relay control do you mean the relay itself or is there something else that controls it ?
Also could anyone tell me where the relay is on my 94 1.8d or what number it is please.Just ordered a workshop manual but wont be here for a few days.
thanks.
1994 1.8d diesel addicted to easy start - Number_Cruncher
Just follow the heavy gauge wire back from the glow plugs - the glow plug relay won't be too far away.
I think its mounted on the inner n/s wing on the chassis if I remeber but as NC say's follow the wire.
Now the relay can be controlled by temp sensor & some were ECU controlled but I think its a later model
Ok problem sorted,whilst tracing back the wires from the relay I found a break in one.After fixing and waiting overnight the car started first time.
Thanks to all who helped,really appreciate all the advice and I now have a little more
knowledge which is priceless.