Pug 406 Excessive Rear Tyre Wear? - Rich Mixture
My 1999 2.0 406 Estate gets through a set of tyres every 24000 miles (I'm now about to purchase the third set). Whilst I consider this to be perfectly acceptable for the front pair, I would expect the rears to last considerably longer. The two sets I've used to date are Continental Eco Contacts, I'm going to change to Goodyear NCT5 all round to see if that improves the rears life.

Anybody else on the forum with a 406 Estate and if so, how long do your rear tyres last?

Rich
Pug 406 Excessive Rear Tyre Wear? - blank
A colleague with a 406 estate surprised me by telling me that he'd just had all 4 tyres on his 406 estate changed. The mileage? 14500 miles!
The fronts were no surprise given his driving style and routes, but the rears seem to have worn unusually fast to me.

Don't know what the tyres were, but they were whatever the 8 month old car came with.

Hope this is some comfort!

Andy
Pug 406 Excessive Rear Tyre Wear? - svpworld
I wouldnt worry, my mates got an M5 and goes thru a set of bridgestones about every 2000 miles! (and they cost over a grand a set!)

S.

They must have changed something drastic from the 405 then. My last 405 went with 90k on the clock.

One OEM rear tyre was changed at ~ 75k (pirelli) due to pothole damage causing the carcass to go out of shape. The other was changed one month before the car went, puncture and not worth repairing though still legal.

What is the wear pattern? One edge, both edges, centre?
Pug 406 Excessive Rear Tyre Wear? - Rich Mixture
FIF,

The wear pattern tends to be more on the outer shoulder than the inner and I would say that the nearside pair (front & back) have worn marginally more than the offside. This has been consistent between the two sets of Contis I've got though so far. At the last change (tyres provided at a surprisingly competitive price by a main dealer) I got them to check the alignment and tracking - they slightly adjusted the rears (apparently there is scope for small adjustments on the rear wheels - toein?). I'm still a bit miffed about having to fork out for a complete set of four every 24k though!

Rich
Pug 406 Excessive Rear Tyre Wear? - Flat in Fifth
The wear pattern tends to be more on the outer shoulder
than the inner

so that would be either toe in or positive camber possibly ?
and I would say that the nearside pair
(front & back) have worn marginally more than the offside.

I guess thats the same for every car I've ever had too.

It amazes me that rears can wear out on a fwd drive car so fast.

I assume the dealer checked the dinky suspension bushes and multi link settings that give the car the roll steer and progressive toe in under load? Or this the car always carrying the kitchen sink? Just a thought.

This is what peugeot in Oz say about the 406.

The front set up consists of MacPherson type struts with wishbones and a de-coupled anti-roll bar, and at the rear a multi-link system affords rigorous control of the wheel plane under all conditions thanks to four links on each half axle.

The rear multi-link system was chosen to allow the separation of applied forces for continuous and accurate adjustment in response to road surface changes and g-loadings.

The transverse and longitudinal elements compensate for cornering loads, acceleration, braking and surface irregularities and in cornering passive rear steering enhances stability and steering accuracy.

The design allows individual adjustment of each link relative to its purpose with total freedom of toe-in and camber settings. This rear-steer effect is generated by carefully varied stiffnesses of the connections between the suspension's arms and bars.

The final result is an automatic and progressive toe-in under load that increases as suspension height decreases.

As well as outstanding cornering balance this effect produces excellent cross-wind stability and improved tyre wear.

Hmmmmmm.
Pug 406 Excessive Rear Tyre Wear? - taff1789
I have a 1999 HDi saloon and I've got 21000miles out of a front set which were fitted when I received teh car
The back set were already fitted so I don't know the actual mileage on the rear
The tyres were Pirelli 6000 all round
Pug 406 Excessive Rear Tyre Wear? - Devonboy78
I know this is an old post but I have a similar problem. Today I had to replace the rear tyres of my 1999 406 estate (2.0 HDI 90) after just 12000 miles! Both were evenly worn well below the legal limit (opps) on the inside 3rd of each tyre. I have not carried heavy loads and do mainly motorway miles. The garage was surprised at how quickly they had worn so they checked through the alignment, suspension, tracking, balancing, etc and did not find anything out of order.

Does anyone know what might be causing this excessive wear?

D-boy.
Pug 406 Excessive Rear Tyre Wear? - Frogeye
I have a 2002 Hdi 110 estate. I tend to change the fronts every 20-25k and put the old fronts on the rear, where they tend to last until the fronts need changing again, I don't often carry loads, so all they do is hold the back end off the ground. I had similar low wear on previous 405's. 12k seems excessive for a FWD car.
Pug 406 Excessive Rear Tyre Wear? - henry k
I have a 2002 Hdi 110 estate. I tend to change the fronts every 20-25k and put the old fronts on the rear,

>>....so all they do is hold the back end off the ground.
>>
The standard recommendation by tyre manufacturers is put the best tyres on the BACK. That includes FWD vehicles.
See their websites.
Pug 406 Excessive Rear Tyre Wear? - Bill Payer
I know this is an old post but I have a
similar problem. Today I had to replace the rear tyres of
my 1999 406 estate (2.0 HDI 90) after just 12000 miles!
Both were evenly worn well below the legal limit (opps) on
the inside 3rd of each tyre. I have not carried heavy
loads and do mainly motorway miles. The garage was surprised at
how quickly they had worn so they checked through the alignment,
suspension, tracking, balancing, etc and did not find anything out of
order.

I had something similar on a 406 estate - the tyres were almost wedge shaped, with the inner edges worn out, over to the outer edges that were almost unworn. The garage (main dealer) said the rear tracking was miles out - after adjustment all seemed fine.
Pug 406 Excessive Rear Tyre Wear? - Fullchat
15.000 on a set of front Contis. Sorry cannot give you any data on the rear but they are up to 11.000 with little wear.

Fullchat