Small Car for the elderly - OrtonMark
Hi

I am looking for advice on which car to buy my elderly mother (80 yrs old and with one hip replaced). She has been used to driving an aged Fiat Punto but this does not have power steering and is beginning to get long in the tooth.

What she would like is a reliable, cheap to run, easy to get into and easy to drive small car. Has anybody any ideas?

Thank you.
Small Car for the elderly - CarNovice28
Toyota Yaris in the old shape.

Incredibly comfortable and very good to drive.

50mpg too and came second in the JD Power Reliability survey recently.

Small Car for the elderly - b308
Speaking from practical experience, what is "easy access" and "comfortable" for us able-bodied is not the same for someone with limited movement, and even they can be different! Take her with you and try out as many cars as possible!

Two simple examples of the above would be that some may prefer the wider opening of a three door model, but others prefer the five door as the smaller door is easier for them to open and close!

Also the height of the entrance/seat can be vital - even a couple of inches difference can be the tipping point... for instance my wife cannot easily get into any of the 4x4/MPVs, even though many people regard them as ideal for disabled people!

Edited by b308 on 14/01/2009 at 12:08

Small Car for the elderly - gordonbennet
I agree with b308's thinking there, i often drive the old shape berlingo which though looks quite big is a smallish car, its square with huge mirrors very easy to manoeuvre/park.

The seat heights are perfect to just rest your backside against and swing the legs in, windscreen is quite upright so no A pillar to crack her head on, ditto the roof line.
This became increasingly important for my Mother even as a passenger.

They are light and easy to drive too, the petrol engine is remarkably torquey and nice to drive in that vehicle if she might prefer to keep away from diesel, many petrols are not so forgiving.

The obvious other ones might be the Suzuki wagonR, and the very rare Yaris verso, similarly easy to get in and out of, another outside choice, the Matiz which is surprisingly pleasant to drive at least dodging about locally which i assume is the sort of motoring your Mother will be doing.
Small Car for the elderly - madf
Yaris access is first rate. Mrs Madf has a dodgy hip: yaris entry exit is easiest for her - we did lots of research on small easy to park cars before selecting one.
Small Car for the elderly - Pendlebury
I think the only other obvious choice next to the Yaris is the Jazz.
Clearly allot of the older generation already buy it and as Honda has one of the most loyal customer bases then they are clearly satisfied with it.
And it always comes at at number 1 on the reliability charts with a very clever interior.
Small Car for the elderly - daveyjp
"What she would like is a reliable, cheap to run, easy to get into and easy to drive small car. Has anybody any ideas?"

Our Aygo ticks all those boxes. The seats are very easy to get into as they are raised well off the floor.

The only downside is rear quarter visibility which isn't very good when reversing.
Small Car for the elderly - mattbod
I would say something like a Hyundai i110 or Kia Picanto with a proper automatic box. Older Jazz is o.k too with a CVT but both the Aygo and the new Jazz have automated clutch "jerk boxes" On older friend of mine tried one of these boxes in a Colt and was appalled("will break the neck of my noddy dog"): He bought a 53 Corolla 1.6 Auto instead and loves it (but that is quite big car). Skoda Fabia 1.6 Auto worth a look too.

Many small car makers are offering these horrible (IMHO) hydraulic clutch manuals instead of Autos "coz of climate change" but I think they should give the customer what they want and many like the restfulness of a proper auto, especially more mature folk.
Small Car for the elderly - stunorthants26
I see a great many eldery people locally driving Smart ForTwos. Dont know if theres anything in that, but it has wide opening doors which with decreased mobility is very important and is very easy to drive and park.
Picanto is fine car but lower to the ground than some small cars like the i10/Sirion.
If your not worried about boot space, the Aygo isnt a bad idea either. Best to get her out to try them and see what she likes.
Really need more info on budget and specifics such as what she calls a small car as the old Punto is a lightweight compared to todays superminis.
Small Car for the elderly - FotheringtonThomas
I had an Ig once, that was quite reasonable, and my old mum who's had her hips done said it was comfy enough/good to get in and out of. That's a Suzuki Ignis, BTW.
Small Car for the elderly - doctorchris
My 81 year old father, hip replacement and at times quite severe back pain due to arthritis, finds my Fiat Panda the easiest car he has come across to get in and out of and finds the very upright seating position ideal.
He has not driven the car, but the dashboard level gear lever and light steering and pedals would all suit an elderly driver. In particular, the steering can be further lightened at parking speeds by pressing the "city" button.
The position of the front and rear of the Panda is easy to gauge from the driving seat and it is narrow with a good turning circle.
If she has been happy with her present Fiat then to stay with the same make, garage, etc would be reassuring for her.
Small Car for the elderly - b308
Mmm, the subsequent posts to mine sumarise neatly what I said! Everyone has recomended a different car, which was right for their relations' disablity!! ... so the answer to the OP is:

Go and check as many as poss as everyone is different so there's no definite answer! ;)

Edited by b308 on 14/01/2009 at 14:29

Small Car for the elderly - Waino
Someone mentioned an 'automatic'. IMHO, it is not always a good idea to introduce an automatic to an elderly person who has spent their whole life using a manual gearbox. We've had many accounts on the Backroom where elderly drivers of automatics have lost control and panicked.
Small Car for the elderly - retgwte
fiat panda

or

Perodua MYVI
Small Car for the elderly - gordonbennet
I think it was Mattbod above who mentioned about the automated manual gearbox's being hell, and i would fully agree with him, except that gearbox in the C1/107/aygo/yaris is the exception to the rule, its pleasant, smooth and controllable without the other 'benefits' he so well describes.
Having said that the manual boxes in those are just as nice to use anyway.

I'd hazard a guess that Toyota is responsible for that box, as its so pleasant compared to similar offerings from the other makes mentioned.

Some good suggestions so far, and this thread as many others shows just how much we here care about our seniors, and keeping them mobile and independent.
Small Car for the elderly - loskie
My twin aunts who are fit and healthy but have just passed 80 have recently bought a Yaris Diesel Auto(I know they dont need diesel!!) they seem to get on with it OK and have made a few trips from Bolton to visit My Parents in Scotland. They took some adjusting to the derv auto from their previous Polo petrol Auto which they had for 14 years I think. I know for a fact they paid full list, had Supaguard etc which really annoyed me.
Small Car for the elderly - OrtonMark
Can I just say a big thank you to all of you who have responded to my post. I think what we will do is try a number of your suggested cars and see where we go from there!

Thanks very much again everybody. What an incredible forum!
Small Car for the elderly - P3t3r
fiat panda

That's what I was going to say. Very small, but spacious, easy to drive, and cheap to run/own.
Small Car for the elderly - piggy
Another vote for the Panda. Highly reliable,cheap to run and quite cute to look at. Agree that the City function is very useful
Small Car for the elderly - ole cruiser
Of course OP must look around, but here's another vote for the Picanto. Anyway, make sure whatever you get has 4 side doors, so she can get stuff in the back without straining over. Our first real sighting of the Picanto was at a petrol station where an elderly gentleman said it was the best car for putting his walking frame on the back seat.
Small Car for the elderly - henry k
>>If she has been happy with her present Fiat then to stay with the same make, garage, etc would be reassuring for her.

>>She has been used to driving an aged Fiat Punto but this does not have power steering.

She will certainly notice the difference.
The Fiat I hired a couple of years ago had a button to make the steering super light.
This feature might become an added benefit. Other makers now have a similar feature.
Small Car for the elderly - seasiders rock
no contest..new panda. high seating position, easy to get in and out. you could probably wear a top hat and still fit.
power steering with city button, one finger parking.
very easy to park, cheap spares and servicing, well screwed together...
need i go on.....
Small Car for the elderly - gmac
When I first read this the car which immediately sparng to mind was FIAT Panda (as mentioned above).
Failing that what about a Ford Fusion ? Fiesta mechanicals in a raised body.
Small Car for the elderly - madf
One very important issue to consider.

Will the car survive frequent low mileage engine cold trips?

(I have a certain expertise in the impact of these on car longevity:-)

EDIT:

I would always add reversing aids for a car for the elderly: a point to bear in mind.

Edited by madf on 15/01/2009 at 08:38

Small Car for the elderly - runboy
Off on a possilble tangerine here, but is the Aygo/Yaris auto box the MMT version? If so I have read reports of it not being the most reliable part of a Toyota.... but that could be because they sell millions so as a % it is a very small issue.
Small Car for the elderly - ole cruiser
Will the car survive frequent low mileage engine cold trips?>>

Very fair question, but how do you find out the answer?!
On the other hand, perhaps at 80 (with respect) OP's Mum won't be too bothered about that.