Advice on new car - Marsh_Man
Hi, this is my first post and I'm looking for some advice before I decide on my next company car. I'm about to give back a Jag X type sport premium 2.2D. I need something bigger with the new car as we now have a large dog, plus I need something which can take the knocks on the unmetalled roads around where we live (the Jag's 18" wheels and LP tyres have been knocked into pieces).

My company has deals with Ford (inc. Jag, Volvo and LR) and VW/Audi. I had an A4 Avant before the Jag and was very pleased with it, so I'm favouring either an Allroad or the new Q5, both 3.0 TDI.

Any views on either of these two, or suggestions of viable alternatives from the Ford or VW stables?

Thanks in advance.
Don
Advice on new car - stunorthants26
Volvo XC60 looks nice.
Advice on new car - Avant
Try both Audis and as Stu suggests the XC60 and see which you prefer. You could also look at a Freelander which would suit your bumpy road, but getting a reliable one is still more of a gamble than it should be.

I should think the 3.0 TDI in the Audis is more powerful than anything (diesel) you can get with the Volvo or Freelander.

What Car's latest (Feb 2009) edition has a group test of these 3 plus the Subaru Forester which is another contender: it should also be on their website. They give first place to the XC60, followed by Freelander, Q5, Forester.

Edited by Avant on 13/01/2009 at 21:58

Advice on new car - DP
What Car's latest (Feb 2009) edition has a group test of these 3 plus the
Subaru Forester which is another contender: it should also be on their website. They give
first place to the XC60 followed by Freelander Q5 Forester.

Illustrating just what a waste of time car mags are. I bought Autocar a few weeks ago with the same test, minus the Forester. Result was Q5, Freelander, XC60. They were very hard on the XC60, actually, and almost gushing about the Audi.

Advice on new car - oldgit
>> What Car's latest (Feb 2009) edition has a group test of these 3 plus

>> Illustrating just what a waste of time car mags are. I bought Autocar a few

Don't waste your time or money on car mags or indeed websites that purport to give the same objective information - no names. No pack drill.
Judge for yourself and yourself, only.
Advice on new car - oldtoffee
You might find that you and the big dog find the relatively low roof line of an estate a problem. Alright if the dog lies down but most don't most of the time preferring to sit or stand up and watch the world go by and bark at it. I'd second Stu's XC60 call and as the new Forester came fourth out of four in the What Car (what a rubbish mag) group test I'd add that to the test drive list.
Advice on new car - loskie
If you're not a badge snob what about an Octavia Scout Tdi? Plenty pre reg and new in stock, about to be face lifted so good deals to be had one would hope.
Advice on new car - MikeTorque
What dog do you have ?
What's your budget for the car ?
Advice on new car - Happy Blue!
Ford Kuga?

Certainly the unmade roads near your house suggest a higher riding vehicle which these days is only available in a medium sized 4x4.
Thanks for all your posts. I had been thinking about an XC60, or maybe an XC70 as an alternative to the Allroad. The company scheme doesn't allow me to take Skoda or Seat for whatever reason, but I could take a Q5, XC60 or Freelander.

My two concerns about Volvo are a) the trilby wearers image of old; and b) the fact that it's a Ford in a posh suit. My X type falls into this category as well and, while it has been fine, it a pretty unexciting car to drive or look at.

Ford Kuga is what it says on the tin - a Fiesta on stilts - but looks good. Could be a bit on the small side for the Weimaraner in the back though?!

I've also considered either a Touareg or Disco, although they're starting to push the limits of what I'm prepared to pay in company car tax due to relatively high emissions. My budget is mid-to-high 30s so hopefully I can find something which fits the bill.

Does anyone have any views on Audi's Quattro system versus VW's 4x4 system? I heard that VW was someway behind.

Cheers
Don

Advice on new car - stunorthants26
>>My two concerns about Volvo are a) the trilby wearers image of old; and b) the fact that it's a Ford in a posh suit.<<

You have really answered your own question about Volvo's image - 'of old'. I dont perceive current models to be anything other than nicely designed, well thought out motors. I often look at people driving them and think how lucky they are to have such a nice motor.
While Im no big Ford advocate, look at Ford involvement like this - without it, neither the XC nor the X-Type would likely be anywhere near as good as they are.
Advice on new car - Altea Ego
>My two concerns about Volvo are a) the trilby wearers image of old; and b) the fact that it's a Ford in a posh suit

A: is an outdated image and certainly does not apply to the XC60
B: does not apply to the XC60,

Advice on new car - Mapmaker
>>Ford in a posh suit

I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy a Ford - despite their phenomenal reputation for producing reliable value motors. How run-of-the-mill boring!

However, I could easily buy a Volvo/Jaguar.
Advice on new car - captain chaos
How run-of-the-mill boring!

www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/
:-)
Advice on new car - nortones2
Agree with AE. Re Volvo: imagine a Swedish backdrop. No shortage of Volvo's over there, and driven by all sorts. This "image" business is a sort of insular mirage, me thinks. As sagely commented by oldgit, choose what suits you. Without paying attention to teenage magazine scribblers.
Advice on new car - Avant
" I bought Autocar a few weeks ago with the same test, minus the Forester. Result was Q5, Freelander, XC60. They were very hard on the XC60, actually, and almost gushing about the Audi."

I'd forgotten they'd done this already - strangely this week's issue promises a group test of these 3 + BMW X3 for next week. We'll see if it comes out the same, and where the X3 comes.

There's an interesting piece by Andrew Frankel (one of the good writers around) saying the judge as luxury cars the Skoda Superb does a better job than the Bentley Flying Spur, Audi A6 and BMW 750. In order to be fair, he leaves out of contention the Skoda's disadvantage in performance and also its advantage in economy.

Personally I enjoy Autocar - under the present regime it's as good as it's ever been in the 45 years I've been taking it - perhaps better.
Advice on new car - gmac
If you are considering the XC60 I would wait for the new D5 engine which is being launched later this year.
It is a totally new design, twin turbo unit which is EU5 compliant. Better CO2 emissions and more powerful 205bhp.
The current EU4 D5 is a bit thirsty in the V70 and I can't imagine it will be any better in the XC60.
Advice on new car - pd
The new D5 (and it is pretty much an all new design and a bit surprising that Volvo have gone - or been allowed to go - their own way with diesels) is due in the S80 in the next couple of months and will no doubt find its way into most models by mid-2009.

To be honest whatever the engine all of the Q5/XC60 etc. lot are far thirstier than the saloon equivalent.

There is a test of the Q5 2.0 TD in this week's Autocar.
Advice on new car - rtj70
And HJ has done a review and it's on this site. Go to Road Tests and select this car. There are obviously many more.

For those too lazy: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=359

Edited by rtj70 on 14/01/2009 at 23:06

Thanks for the update on upcoming variants and reviews. I did look at the HJ review on this site a few weeks ago, and this is what first sparked my interest.

To be honest, whether I go for the Q5 or XC60 (or indeed the Allroad), my feeling is that the 2.0 TD probably won't have the grunt. The rationale is that a 2.0 may be fine for day to day, but for regular camping trips with the wife, 2 kids, dog and a roof box it may struggle!!

I have been planning on the 3.0 V6 in the Q5 or Allroad and similar in the Volvo (not sure they have a big diesel though).

I'll buy a couple of the mags mentioned above over the weekend so that I can have a proper ponder.

Cheers
Don
Advice on new car - Mapmaker
Just a thought. And feel free to ignore. You have a budget of about 30k for the car. Will your company give you a cash alternative, and then you can buy a virtually new Forrester privately - for about half list price...

If your company is buying the car, then it won't make any difference (i.e. they'll take the depreciation hit when they sell it in 3 years), but if it's leasing it, then the cost of leasing, in view of the shocking residuals at the moment, is likely to be higher than expected.

If you can bear (and I know you may not) to run a fractionally older car, then you will get a fantastic deal and be well in profit if the cash alternative is sensible. (It always seems a shame to me to take a brand new car and make it suffer unmetalled roads and dogs.)