00 1.5 ABS occasionally operates on light braking - fordprefect
Stepson just got a tidy Accent GDX with 80,000 on the clock: took it to my trusted indie for an oil/filter/cambelt change, test driving it the ABS triggered with light braking. I had the same unexpected ABS operation a couple of days ago, no ABS warning light and the brakes work fine (plenty of pad and good discs) so it is a bit of a puzzle.
Is this likely to be an electronic fault (bad connection?) or some issue with the ABS hardware (toothed rings/pickups).

Am I right in thinking ABS systems fail safe so it is not a safety issue?

Edited by Pugugly on 13/01/2009 at 20:35

00 1.5 ABS occasionally operates on light braking - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Sounds like a damaged reluctor ring on one of the wheel hubs. Discs or drums on the back? Idf drums check for loose bearings as well.
00 1.5 ABS occasionally operates on light braking - fordprefect
Many thanks for the quick reply, Andrew, I will pass it on and make sure he checks those items.
00 1.5 ABS occasionally operates on light braking - silverwingster
Hi
I wonder if you could tell me if there was a solution to the abs problem on the hyundai. My car has just developed the same thing and as I use it for teaching disabled drivers I really need some help on his one.
Regards
Silverwingster
00 1.5 ABS occasionally operates on light braking - Hamsafar
Worn steering/suspension can also cause this as a wheel can momentarily experience sudden deceleration under braking until the slop is taken up. This especially happens at parking speeds.
00 1.5 ABS occasionally operates on light braking - HyundaiOwnersClubAdmin
Hyundai's do suffer from abs ring problems-usually a hairline crack in the ring.