Rust Proofing power steering pipes - VR6
What products do you guys recommend for rust proofing my metal power steering pipes?

My power steering pipes corroded causing a leak. New ones are £156+VAT and £80+VAT, so i've sourced some second hand ones.

They have arrived and are in good order, bar bit of flaking paint and surface rust in places. I want to rust proof them but dont know what to use.

I am going to:
1. 'Gunk' them to remove oil
2. Sand the flaking paint and surface rust
3 >>>This is where you guys come in<<<

Rust Proofing power steering pipes - madf
waxoil them
Can you use Waxoyl straight onto the metal with no problems? Does it form a tough and durable finish?

I've just looked at Halfords website and they do it in an aerosol - is this any good?
Rust Proofing power steering pipes - Fullchat
Waxoil; as its name suggests is a mixture of wax and oil ( or it looks like it!) This time of year it gets congealed. The idea is that its 'self healing' so if its scratched it flows again covering the bare area.
Its ok. If you buy it an aerosol I'd spray it into the lid and apply with a rag or brush, it can get everywhere.
I think Halfords also do Dinatrol which is a similar product but gets more acclaim.
Engine oil (fresh) wiped on occasionally would do the trick, or even standard grease.
Rust Proofing power steering pipes - mfarrow
POR-15 is good paint - expensive mind you.

That and a spray up of Waxoyl underbody sealant (will contain Waxoyl also) should do the trick.

Put the aerosol in the airing cupboard first though - they don't like the cold.
Waxoil it is then. I've just given the pipes a quick sand to remove the very loose stuff. Think Halfords is closed now, but I'll pop in tommorrow.

Thanks for the tip about puting the aerosol in the airing cupboard, and the tip about spraying on to a cloth.
Rust Proofing power steering pipes - martint123
I think I'd give them a couple of coats of zinc etch primer first. This seems to bond itslef to the metal and I've had surprisingly good results with it on bare steel like disk brake hub centres.
Rust Proofing power steering pipes - billy25
Used to use a "very heavy" Zinc-based paint on my boat trailer which was immersed (often completely) in the sea regularly (four times every week-end). After every season i would repaint it, and the most corrosion it ever showed were a few rust stains from steel nuts and bolts. The boat and trailer also lived outside all year round for 11 years whilst i had it. The paint was called "Galvafroid" - bit dearer than usual rust proofing stuff, but i definately can recommend it!

tinyurl.com/728y4z

Billy