06 1.6 How long before your heater is hot? - piston power
This astra with 18k on the clock seem poor for good heat it takes me 6 miles to work at constant driving and the heater gets hot after about 3-4 miles.

I know it's cold at minus -3, but it's been the same since new, i think the stat opens a bit soon like 65c not the 83 it should be?

How long does your cars/van etc take to get hot?

Had other cars that seem to get hotter faster, maybe i need a new thermostat or im getting soft!

Edited by Pugugly on 10/01/2009 at 13:30

06 1.6 How long before your heater is hot? - Dynamic Dave
Do you put the heater on hot as soon as you start the car? If so, then the engine will take longer to get hot as you're taking out what little heat there is before it has a chance warm up. I don't put the heater on for a couple of miles, and by that time the temp gauge is stating to move (granted the Astra-H doesn't have a gauge, so not so easy to judge) and I then put the heater on. If I put the heater on straight away, then the temp gauge doesn't move off the cold mark for 5 or 6 miles, and by that time I've reached work and the interior is only just starting to get warm. Using my other method, the interior is warmed up by 3 or 4 miles.
Yes it damn cold dave so there is mist on the screen so i put it on hot!

It's a poor design feature not having a gauge just to get an idea of what the coolant temp is might give a better indication etc.

The car sits out in the cold all night, i did a little experiment by putting it into the workshop at work on nights & it warms up much faster in the morning driving home, so must get a garage!! lol.....
06 1.6 How long before your heater is hot? - Dynamic Dave
Yes it damn cold dave so there is mist on the screen so i put it on hot!

I keep any mist at bay by having the blower on speed 1 or 2 to keep an airflow on the windscreen, but as mentioned earlier don't put the heaters on straight away to give the engine chance to warm up quicker.
06 1.6 How long before your heater is hot? - Victorbox
Some heat at 1 mile but lots more at 3 miles + on a 2006 Zafira 1.6
06 1.6 How long before your heater is hot? - Number_Cruncher
>>It's a poor design feature

Actually, it isn't.

The coolant temperature is still being sensed - by the ECU. The ECU also controls the thermostat.

If there's a fault in the circuit, the ECU warns you.

If there's a coolant temperature problem, the dashboard warning light comes on.

So, instead of an entirely fallible human who might look at the engine temperature gauge every now and again, the system is being monitored many times a second by a device which does not tire and does not get distracted.

It's an excellent design feature, which removes meaningless and distracting clutter from the dashboard, yet provides a clear and stark warning if there's a problem.

06 1.6 How long before your heater is hot? - Ben79
The coolant temperature is still being sensed - by the ECU. The ECU also controls
the thermostat.

Are you sure there isn't a traditional thermostat?

Another benefit of a guage (and additionally an oil temperature guage) is to advise when the engine is up to operating temperature and ready to use the upper end of the rev range, give it some beans, have some fun, italian tune up or thrash it (depending on your terminology).

My mainstream family sized hatchback has both oil and water temperature guages. Invaluable in my opinion. Unless you don't care about premature engine wear.
06 1.6 How long before your heater is hot? - jc2
I at one time,owned three XR2's consecutively;the middle one heated up much more quickly than it's predecessor and successor,not just on heater output but also on the temperature gauge.I can only put it down to bottom limit leak-by on the thermostat and bottom limit casting thickness on the cylinder head.
06 1.6 How long before your heater is hot? - Number_Cruncher
>>Are you sure there isn't a traditional thermostat?

I can't guarantee that there is not a traditional thermostat, because I haven't worked on one, but I was told that the thermostat is ECU controlled by a Vauxhall mechanic whom I trust.

>>Invaluable in my opinion. Unless you don't care about premature engine wear.

No, I don't care - mainly because I don't think it's a big issue anymore. If it were such a worrysome problem, the Technical section of this forum would be over-run with questions about re-bores and requests to recommend engine reconditioners.

06 1.6 How long before your heater is hot? - Victorbox
If it were such a worrysome problem the Technical section of this forum would be
over-run with questions about re-bores and requests to recommend engine reconditioners.

Very true. At one time the small of burning oil from an exhaust was quite common even after the MOT emissions test came in to take these off the road sooner rather than later. Now a smoking exhaust seems very uncommon.

If there's a fault in the circuit the ECU warns you.

Thats ok but a gauge fitted would have been better than a light that comes on just before it goes bang! lol

At least you can see it creeping up to the red so you can check a few things first, seems a stupid way to me but thats my opinion.