03 2.0 Central Locking - dunning
Hi. I,m hoping someone can help me. - My good lady has a 75 diesel auto estate. It has been a great car for her - reliable, economical etc. However, the central locking has packed up. It will unlock with the fob but will not lock. The button on the central console does neither and of course, she cannot lock the tailgate (Has to lock the other doors by pushing down the buttons) The Haynes manual, for once isn't a lot of help, - it only suggests a faulty lock but as I say they all unlock except for the tailgate (Which we cannot lock to try it) and I have tried swapping that one but with no joy. Any suggestions would be welcome. Regards - Dunning
03 2.0 Central Locking - rtj70
Is there no key-hole for 75 tailgate? Never had one so don't know.
Hi. No, there is no key hole but thanks anyway
03 2.0 Central Locking - mscott
Try searching "central locking" on www.mg-rover.org
There are lots of similar sounding problems.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been looking at it and there are one or two pointers as to how I can narrow down the possibilities. As you say, the problems are similar. I'm just hoping that it's not the BCU
03 2.0 Central Locking - R40
Try the owners club at www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum Not an uncommon problem and swapping out the BCU is straightforward and not that costly.

hth

R40
03 2.0 Central Locking - bbroomlea{P}
A temporary fix would be to lock the doors with the little button near the handbrake, pull the door release twice on the drivers door to get out and then lock that with the key. Cant help with the central locking unfortunately.
Thanks for both of the last two replies. I will certainly try the rover forum. As for the button, it doesn't work at all. At the moment I am thinking of going around each of the doors in turn and putting wd on the lock mechanisms because when I try to lock it with the fob I get a peep from the horn which I understand is a sign that a lock is not closing or a sensor is not being activated. The problem is that I cannot understand why the doors will all unlock with the fob (Except the tailgate, as stated earlier) yet not lock with it. Also I cannot find any sort of sensors anyway.
03 2.0 Central Locking - R75
A beep from the horn means something is reporting as being open still, either a door or it could be the bonnet switch. Some seem to have had success with spraying WD40 in the locks, this seems to free them up. Lots of "how to's" over on the 75andztclub but you need to pay your £3 subs to get access to them. Using the forum is free though.
Thanks . I think that must be it. Certainly the dashboard telltale light is indicating that a door is open, but it doesnt seem to be showing which (Unless they are all being reported as open) So it looks as if I will have to take all the door cards off and give each lock a really good oiling etc. Not a difficult job but time consuming.