2001 1.8VVTi Co2 emission fail - MikeC
Car 2001 (51) 1.8VVTi approx 110k.
Problem - failed emission CO2 on MOT.

This is my dads car so not aware of the full details, basically car failed mot due to tester refusing to continue because of blue smoke and emissions being well above limit anyway. Car has been with a Toyota main dealer for a week and they are stumped.

Fuel filter has been changed and improved emissions but still over the limit.
Exhaust and Cat have been swapped temporarily and not fixed the problem.
Injectors have been checked and are ok.
the actual fuel has been checked - I think.
Toyota dealer is not seeing the blue smoke reported by the tester but agrees there is a problem
As far as I know car drives fine. Although it has always used oil which is a common problem.

Tomorrow they are swapping in an ECU from another car and will reprogramme it to see if that fixes the problem. Failing that they are out of ideas. Investigative labour charge is already £400 with no resolution.

If it is the ECU what is rough cost and what other things could cause high CO2??
He wants to go armed with a list of possible things to make sure they checked all before calling it a day. Could it be something physical i.e. leaking pistons/valves etc etc??

Any quick thoughts would be great
Mike.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/01/2009 at 21:27

2001 1.8VVTi Co2 emission fail - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I know its a higher mileage car but in the last 6 months say what kind of journeys have been made, lots of short low speed ones? You say the engine uses oil, what type of oil ,fully synthetic?
Just trying to get an idea.because as an MOT tester we get this from time to time when a vehicle is presented which does a lot of lets say, pootling about at low speeds and lots of short journeys which prevent the cat from firing up and burning off any residues. We get it nice and hot to try and get it through the test then whoosh the cat fires up and starts to burn off all the accumulated grunge with billowing clouds of smoke. Take it for a long fast run and more often than not it will then pass the test.
You may have a problem with the O2 sensor having failed by being drip fed oil over the years but if the techie at toyota is doing his job its an easy device to check. Does sound rather that they are just chucking bits at it in the vain hope that something will work.......
2001 1.8VVTi Co2 emission fail - MikeC
Thanks. Don't know what oil but I assume basic i.e. not fully synthetic.
The car is used for short journeys and does pootle about. Doesn't really get a good run often and is not 'raced' so may need a good italian tune up. But they have used a CAT from another car temporarily and it still is a problem but improved, I assume they warmed his car up with the donar CAT on before retesting.
Thanks.
2001 1.8VVTi Co2 emission fail - Saltrampen
"Although it has always used oil which is a common problem."
- heavy Oil consumption getting worse with age is a common problem with 1.8VVTi engines from that era. When it gets bad it will fail the MOT test. How much Oil is it actually using?
"Toyota are stumped" - mmm.. they know about this problem with the 1.8 VVTi , some dealers I have heard have tried thicker grades of oil to try and solve the problem.
A friend with a 2000 model 1.8 VVTi had excessive oil consumption (terminal), Toyota dealer's answer (in 2008) was to offer him a generous part exchange on a newer vechicle.

2001 1.8VVTi Co2 emission fail - Woodspeed
The Toyota 1.8 vvti engine has a known oil consumption problem over 60k miles, and bearing wear. I had a neighbour with the same problem, and his car only pootles round town. Toyota standard oil is advised as 5/30 or 0/30 (which I personally think is too thin when hot and gets past the rings) and will degrade down to about a 20 or worse. At my suggestion he put in 5/40 fully synthetic and a new filter and took it for an "Italian" tune up (thrashed it for 10 miles) and it passed MOT.
Logic:
1. Oil change cleared out old smelly oil, and thicker oil did not get past rings (which will have worn since new).
2. Thicker 40 grade oil did not get passed rings.
3. Thrashed tune up cleared its throat, burned off carp in the cat and other deposits.

Someone got a thread on here about his 1.8 vvti engine not wanting to rev. They need a good thrashing now and then
2001 1.8VVTi Co2 emission fail - bathtub tom
>>Toyota standard oil is advised as 5/30 or 0/30 (which I personally think is too thin when hot and gets past the rings)

I would've thought this will make no difference when hot, they're both 30W.
2001 1.8VVTi Co2 emission fail - Woodspeed
>>Toyota standard oil is advised as 5/30 or 0/30 (which I personally think is too
thin when hot and gets past the rings)
I would've thought this will make no difference when hot they're both 30W.

Indeed both 30 top end will be the same when hot, but all oil degrades down so now at oil change time is full of unburnt fuel and will have thinned down to around a 20. Which is why I suggested a 5/40 (thicker top end).
2001 1.8VVTi Co2 emission fail - mrbeginner
have you tried asking the guys to test you,re car without an air filter thats what we do when we take our 350,000miles hdi taxi in for its mot/taxi test we had an mot failier on emissions so we took it took it to the main dealer and they found it was the air filter so for every test now we take out the air filter
2001 1.8VVTi Co2 emission fail - long in the tooth
Hi Guys,
I had a similar problem with high oil use, the reason was the tollerance between the pistons and the head block were to great and passing oil, using 1 liter per 1000 miles, took it to toyota out of warranty and they fixed it for free, great result for me.

Hope this helps

Wayne