04 1.25 Early head gasket failure. Any indication? - Ford Dagenham
Hello Folks.

Happy new year.

We are having more problems with our fiesta.

The headgasket was replaced under warranty on our 1.25 finnesse.

Now we are noticing that the oil cap and dipstick has signs of mayonaise on them.

Also when using the heater the temperature gauge goes down.

Martin Winters

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/01/2009 at 12:31

04 1.25 What are the signs of early head gasket fa - Dynamic Dave
the oil cap and dipstick has signs of mayonaise on them.

Sounds more like an issue of the engine failing to get up to temperature (faulty thermostat?) or short journeys and thus not allowing the engine to warm up properly.

Any competent garage should be able to provide a sniff test of the cooling system to check for the presence of hydrocarbons in the header tank.
04 1.25 What are the signs of early head gasket fa - Ford Dagenham
Hello Dave

Thankyou for your reply.

Will get the thermostat changed where is it located on one of these cars.

The reason we are worried is that the headgasket had blown last year.

There is mayonaise on the dipstick and on the oil cap.

The car is used on the motorway every other day for 30-40 miles

Martin
04 1.25 What are the signs of early head gasket fa - Jon P
I have always understood that when FIRST USING a car's heater it is normal for the temperature guage to indicate a lowered temparature since any coolant held in the heater matrix/system is introduced into the main body of coolant already circulating. This is bound to have at least a temporary effect since that volume of liquid initially held in the heater is, presumably colder than that already employed. Also, a higher volume of liquid is available to the cooling system as a whole.
04 1.25 Early head gasket failure. Any indication? - Saltrampen
Any sign of discolouration or Oil in the water header tank?
Excessive steam coming out of exhaust?
(other indicators of Head gasket failure)
04 1.25 Early head gasket failure. Any indication? - Lucky 7
My old Cavalier showed symptoms during a cold February a couple of years ago - white smoke, mayo on oil cap - but I then used it for a long run on a warmer day and they cleared up. Still running fine when I sold it a couple of months ago!

I think very cold weather can cause condensation to form within the engine block, rather than it being your actual coolant leaking through. I would keep a close eye on your coolant level to see if you are losing any