00 1.25 New engine - is it worth it? - lju00dt
My little 2000 (77,000 miles) Punto recently went to the garage as it was overheating badly and some suspected damage had been done to head gasket.

Garage said it was more than that but didnt specify anything - just said it needs new engine.

I dont know much about this type of stuff - but is it worth getting a new engine for an 8 yr old punto or scrapping it and getting a new one. Rest of car is in decent condition and was working fine up till 2 weeks ago.

i found an engine on the web - 31,000 miles done, delivered to my door for £430 with 12 month warranty.

How much would i be looking at to get a new engine fitted?

Is this just a really bad idea in general.

any help would be appreciated!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/01/2009 at 19:01

00 1.25 New engine for a Punto - piston power
A second opinion might be best, if head gasket has gone why not just repair the one you have?
00 1.25 New engine for a Punto - lju00dt
i wasn't utterly convinced by his reply of

"we drove it for a bit and judging by the noise it made and the fact the oil warning light came on quickly it is likely to be more damage than the just head gasket and needs new engine"

but thats what he suggested....as i say i know little about cars - but when i drove it back to my house after it warmed up for 2-3 mins it didnt sound shealthy at all - but didnt sound like it was completely on its lats legs...
00 1.25 New engine for a Punto - oilrag
(oil warning light came on)

Has it ever run out of oil?
00 1.25 New engine for a Punto - Javalin
sounds like you need a second opinion from a garage that knows what they are talking about....

Surely if there is damage they should be able to list what needs doing and how much.....

I would expect an engine change to be expensive.

James
00 1.25 New engine for a Punto - VR6
If you do need a new engine I would recommend you scrap it and get a new car. I replaced an engine a few years back and it cost me £1900 including second hand engine, clutch and service. Engine still runs fine, but due to the age of the car other parts are now failing. In hindsight I should have just got a new car.
00 1.25 New engine for a Punto - lju00dt
cheers for the help

i think i will get a second opinion before i do anything - i only went to this garage as it was at the end of my street and after it overheated on motorway i didnt want to risk taking it too far and having to leave it stranded on some road if it didnt make it.

i have have mixed responses from friends with regards to fitting a new engine - some have bought engine off ebay with a 12 month warranty and they had the car another 2 years before selling it on without any real trouble - others have had no end of recurring problems once they tried it.

i dont use the car for much else other than going to shops, and visiting family round leeds so might scrap it and get another little runaround.

i just find it strange that 2 weeks ago it was fine, i drove to warrington and back one day without any problems - then one day it overheated and started making all sorts of funny noises then when i came off the motorway there was lots of steam and it was juddering badly before coming to a standstill. i got it towed back home and since then when it starts up the oil light comes on quickly.

it doesnt sound healthy but after a few minutes when it has warmed up it seems to bob round ok at 20 - 30 mph...

00 1.25 New engine for a Punto - bbroomlea{P}
I would get a second opinion by someone who knows a bit more. The headgasket went on my Rover 214 some years ago (no real surprise there!) and after chugging to a standstill on the motorway the oil light flickered when ticking over. I braved a new headgasket and radiator (cause of the headgasket!) and it ran for another 50,000 miles.

If its got very hot the oil is probably past its best or even really low and thats why the light is flashing - low pressure! It could of course be because its got too hot and the bearings are shot - in which case the engine is scrap. In which case, it may be worth fixing if you can get it done for £600 or so - you will loose a lot more on a new car and another second hand car might be dogged with hidden problems.