Learning to drive at 17 - Gaj9
I am new to this forum and i want to some advice, I just turned 17 and i live in the london region and i want to know the best place to start learning to drive.
Learning to drive at 17 - Altea Ego
your mates will have older brothers and sisters who have used a local driving school or instructor. Ask you mates who.

My son (19) passed second time using the local instructor. All his mates used her and she got them all through by second test at the latest.
Learning to drive at 17 - stunorthants26
As a 17 year old, I found it easier being taught by a middle-aged woman. Worth thinking about, seems to avoid the male ego thing.
Learning to drive at 17 - Rattle
I am sure many will disagree with me but I found learning to drive so much easier later on in life:-

When I was 17 I had many many lessons trying to learn how to drive, and I still was not up to test standard. I had a long brake with bits of none ADI driving occasionaly inbetween. Last year I decided I needed to just get on with it so I had a few lessons with a new ADI and passed first time when I was 26.

At 26 I was setteled into my own business, got my degree, so I could focus all my spare time on driving, but when I was 17 I was ibetween jobs, colleges etc, I was not setteled and my life was a mess, it was no wonder I found driving so hard.

Basically if you're setteled and happy go for it, but if you are currently like most 17 years and confused then you might find learning to drive hard but on the other hand the distraction could be a good thing.

Also there is no rush as it is unlikely you will be able to afford insurance for a very long time unless you're rich.
Learning to drive at 17 - L'escargot
....... got my degree ...........

No offence, Rattle, but until you revealed that fact I was prepared to ignore your atrocious spelling!
Learning to drive at 17 - Altea Ego
As a 17 year old I found it easier being taught by a middle-aged woman.
Worth thinking about seems to avoid the male ego thing.

yes - that seems to be the case. certainly with my son and his peers

Learning to drive at 17 - rtj70
I learned 2 years (ish) before I knew I'd need a car. Before then at University I knew I could not afford to run one so there was little point in lessons.

If you do not know of a good instructor then use a big school.
Learning to drive at 17 - Ian (Cape Town)
As a 17 year old I found it easier being taught by a middle-aged woman.

Cue Simon and Garfunkle 'Mrs Robinson'.

Time to start an 'out of context' thread, methinks!
Learning to drive at 17 - henry k
I just turned 17 and i live in the london region and i want to know the best
place to start learning to drive.

>>
What area are you in?

If you pass your test are you ready to pay out mega bucks for insurance on a set of wheels ( plus all the other costs)?
i.e. will you be regularly driving immediately after passing your test?
If not then you should consider waiting untill you are ready to become a poor motorist like some of us on this forum.
Or you should be prepared to take further lessons to refresh your skills.
Learning to drive at 17 - daveyjp
I passed at 17.5 and only drove occasionally after that. 18 months later I left home for uni only driving at holiday time. I didn't own a car until I was 24.

The driving test is going to get harder and more expensive over the next few years. Do it as soon as you can. It's also handy for the CV.
Learning to drive at 17 - boxsterboy
In response to the OP,I would try and find some private land where you can practice to start with - I did it on Bovingdon Aerodrome nearly 30 years ago when we knew a farmer who farmed it. Or persuade your parents to 'invest' in a few days driving a Merc A-class for you at Mercedes-Benz World at Brooklands.

My instructor (and my brothers') was an ex-Police Instructor. He got everyone through first time (self included), but obviously it's a little harder these days.
Learning to drive at 17 - oldnotbold
You are probably not remotely interested in the Military, but thirty years ago a lot of lads joined the TA Logistics Regiment (was then RCT) and got free driving lessons. They learned and were tested on an 8T vehicle, so they got a car licence and an LGV3 licence all in one. It took a fortnight, for which they got paid!
Learning to drive at 17 - oilrag
I found a year on a bike sorted me out - and passing the bike test. It was pretty seamless transfering to a car after that - I never had a lesson.
You had to watch out for raptors at first of course - until they became extinct and more modern times arrived.
Learning to drive at 17 - Mapmaker
An absolutely essential skill for (many!) employers to see on your CV. You don't know what you might end up doing as a part of your University course that may require you to drive.

Learn as soon as you can. If you don't drive a car for 5 years, then take some more lessons then, but you will have your licence, and you will not run the risk of losing it if you get 6 points (another good reason to learn well before you need it as a part of a job).

Get as much practice as you can, too, before your test. My father used to take me out most evenings for a drive.
Learning to drive at 17 - henry k
A little current ( video ) advice
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7812910.stm

Also advice on tyre pressure in these cold conditions.