A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - k9dan
Hi folks, good post by wavyD, I am interested in one of the above esp with the 7 seat estate, the subject line is one of the quotes from the W124 link, does the W210 suffer the same problems? Looking at a 2000 V plate E240 (2.6 Engine) estate 7 seat, with
full MB history and 101K very well kept but dealer is looking for £3995 which is a grand too steep. Looking to replace a very trustworthy but now 13 yr old 2.0 Galaxy, which has been a great motor with little problems. what is the best motor ideally with 7 seats for occasional use not too complex and long living. Also good deals on nearly new Grand scenics which seem to avoid the turbo fun of the diesels, anyone any better ideas?
A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - the swiss tony
one word with regards a 2000 V plate E240 DONT!!!!!!

the 210 was in a lot of respects a rebody of the 124, the early ones share a lot of the late 124 parts, engines etc.

BUT there are big issues with rust on the 99-01 Mercedes, of most models C, E, CLK especially...
if you dont believe me search the internet...

if you do decide to go ahead, make sure you get 2 working keys, as these are now £200 each, and a nightmare to obtain if the only one you have gets lost or breaks - MB state the dealer must have the car to code the keys to, not a lot of use if your cars 20miles away! (£150 for a tow in?)
A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - Xtype
I have a Merc sl (2000) only has 16k on the clock and that has rust bubbles on. Mercs of this era have VERY bad paint/build quality issues. Id advise looking at another make or a later year. They seemed to have sorted things out by around 2003.
A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - ForumNeedsModerating
A 8+year old Merc, built at the nadir of their quality cycle, with 100+K miles looks like a project more than a get-in-and-go utility item for me. Seven years is just about the right time also, for major bits of stuff to need replacing, which may include: cats, suspension bits, shock absorbers, exhausts, aircon overhaul, ancilliary electrics/functions etc. They're also prone to rust in this era (up to mid 2003 if memory serves..?).

If the service history includes or documents any/many larger non-service items (as above), I'd bank having on having to replace/repair at least some of those. Not cheap.

Edited by woodbines on 04/01/2009 at 12:33

A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - gordonbennet
Thse cars are a good design, very strong and generally very reliable, with huge interior room.
A chap i know that uses MB E class's for private hire tells me that the 210 was far roomier inside that the 211, which bears out many observations here where current models seem to be getting bigger overall but with no increase in internal space.

The 240 isn't particularly loved and if you wanted a 210 i would be looking for the bomb proof 300 turbodiesel, tremendous torque and good economy.
If you could stretch to a 320cdi, the performance is truly amazing.

Not all of these cars rust through, i believe a lot depends on the previous owners care, leaving 6 months of salt crust lying around the wheel arches and door extremities doesn't help to keep them rust free, and how many people do you know that have the good sense to fully hose off the underbody at the end of the winter or even touch up stonechips before they fester.

You will have to examine any one of these very carefully, bearing in mind there are many hundreds of cases where MB have replaced doors/wings/bootlids and repaired dozens more panels under warranty on cars 4 to 8 years old, so the vehicle you are looking at may well be rust free or it may have had all the rust repaired, the MB bodyshops are good, you will have to be pretty good to be able to tell its been done.
Peel back the door skin rubbers and have a look there too.

If your chosen car has full MB history and no unapproved body reapirs (they will measure the paint thickness to check) they may well still honour rust issues on that car, its a bit of a lottery.

More disturbingly, there are 2 points that must be closely examined, the front cross member gets salt water trapped by the tight fitting under tray and will corrode right through, easy cure, just put some washers between the tray and cross member to allow water to escape.
And the front spring cups which are welded to the inner chassis corrode through under their sealant unseen and its known for these cups to shear off whilst people are driving them, i understand the bump stops prevent catastrophic results, but its hardly something i'd want happening.

Remember not all 210's will be like this and a good one is a lovely safe car.

Always worth a look in HJ's carby car guide up top.
A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - Bagpuss
I've seen W210 taxis in Germany with over 500,000km. As gb says there are good ones and bad ones. The interior is enormous and it is very comfortable over long distances. I had an E240 on 4 week hire a long time ago and I remember a very smooth drive but a lack of low down torque and high fuel consumption.
A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - mattbod
Anyone know if there are any good W123 230 TEs out there (or 300TD) or maybe a W124 230,300 or 300D. These were lovely cars.

I have also heard that if considering a W210 the older indirect injection 300 Turbodiesel is a better bet than the 320 CDI estate even though I was utterly seduced by the latter when I drove one (really DID shift and so practical for kids, booze run)
A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - madf
I have posted on the W124 thread. In many places, the engineering is complex. After 15 years, it fails. Replacemnet is NOT cheap.

See central locking, steering air suspension, suspension bushes , wiring issues etc.

Anyone who thinks they can run a Mercedes costing over £30k new cheaply is deluded.

The engineering is light years behind that of Toyota /Lexus and the build quailty is also poor by comparison.

If you want cheap longevity buy a Lexus LS400.
A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - MVP
Neighbour had a steering rack go on one of these, £1,000 from an indie 2 years ago !

MVP
A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - DP
I have to say I'm with madf on the LS400.

A friend bought an immaculate, well maintained, but high mileage early car two years ago for about £3500. We all said it would be written off within 6 months with the first serious problem it suffered. We were wrong. Still going and still as quick and smooth as ever, even with 160k on the clock. It's had two services (indie) and a couple of front suspension bushes. Never broken down, all the toys still work, and goes like something off a shovel with 280 bhp under the bonnet.

Easilly the best built I have ever come across. I can't think of many engines which will put tiny ripples in a glass of water resting on the inlet manifold at 5500 RPM, let alone with 160,000 miles on the clock (yes, it really does work!). Awesome engineering.
A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - 659FBE
I used to be a great fan of Mercedes engineering quality - the W124 cars and earlier were a real pleasure to work on (it's when you take them apart to do a routine job such as replacing an instrument lamp that you really see the detailing). OK, the diesels and smaller engined variants were slow and the bigger ones thirsty, but these things were a pleasure to own and use from an engineering point of view.

Two things have happened.

Firstly these cars are now old. Despite probably the best spares back up in the business, these cars will need lots of parts now and their poor running efficiency (by today's standards) makes keeping them now a doubly expensive luxury.

Secondly, M-B with its abortive flirtation with Chrysler went through a truly dreadful patch and produced cars for almost a decade which were just not fit for purpose. The subject of this posting falls into this category - these cars are not worth having, at any price.

I hope that when the post '04 cars are about 10 years old, we will see that they have fixed their rust and other problems. Until then, no money from me.

A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - Essex Merc W123
I can only assume that many people that are slating the W210 have never actually owned or driven one for a considerable period of time?

I can only base this on my own (albeit long association) with Mercs.

Firstly, there are W210's out there at absolute BARGAIN prices for the amount of car you get for your £££. It seems to have a bad reputation but mine (E240 2.6 - year 2000) has given me 5 years of reliable, efficient and cost-effective motoring. There are a couple of very minor rust spots but these are surely characteristic of any vehicle coming up for it's 10th Birthday. Let's be honest, how many X reg Fords/Vauxhalls etc. do we even see on the road to compare (let alone those that have been built with the ability to clock up 200K+)?

Apart from routine A&B servicing, I have had to buy a new 'cat' - not bad considering it's got 110K on the clock (60K of which I've added over the past 5 years).

The car itself is an absolute dream to drive; the engine purrs at ANY speed, kickdown is extrtemely powerful and whilst idling you cannot actually hear ANY engine noise inside the vehicle whatsoever; a colleague I chauffered on a recent business trip thought it had actually died at the first roundabout we stopped at - in his words "this car slaughters the nuts off my Audi for drive, comfort and build quality". His company Audi is less than a year old and has been back to the dealership twice already for a leaking driver's door sill !

In contradiction to some other views, I have to say that the most unreliable Mercs I've ever owned were W124's! I had two, both of which suffered from pretty major fuel and electric problems once they had covered in excess of 85K. Whilst in a MB Dealership around 1994 having my car serviced, they brought in a 1991 190E model whose front suspension had collapsed whilst still under its first 3 yr. warranty!

I also own a 1979 W123 and beleive me - the W124 doesn't hold a light to it's predecessor. I have read that when the W124's were brought out, German Taxi Drivers actually caused quite a stink with the 'powers that be' in Stuttgart about the W124's build quality (or rather, the lack of it).

All I can say is that my own experience of owning a W210 isn't reflected by other comments across some forums on the internet. They are spacious, drive like an absolute dream, quite efficient for fuel (given their power and six) and, most importantly given the amount of cretins on the road these days, they are as solid as a tank.

Hope this balances slightly the negative press of W210's.

A minor point - I also think the W210 is the last Merc built that has that characteristic Mercedes interior look.......the more recent crop of various series Mercs appear to have shares in a plastic company when sat in the cockpit!

I was very negative upthread.

Let me put it like this.
Apart from Kas, how many really rusty cars do you see on the roads? Modern cars built after 1995?

Answer: not many: but I would say of the rusty ones, the worst affected are Mercedes...

Based on my own eyes..

And read the Mercedes Forums and then the Lexus forums...(US and UK). The contrasts in stories are quite telling...

The MB Owners Club forum has a Sticky heading labelled " Rust"!
forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5

And to prove my point

forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51829

Edited by madf on 11/09/2009 at 15:58

Find me a similar spec. second hand Lexus that's as comparative price wise to a W210 and I may see your point.

Show me more second hand car for approx. £4K than a Mercedes W210 from ANY other manufacturer, and I may come around to your way of thinking.

As for your issue about other cars post 1995 - I spend most of my day on Motorways and Mercs aside, I really don't see that many cars M plate (1995) onwards...................although I do see quite a few Fords & Vauxhalls on the hard shoulder of the M25/M1/M6 at Weekends. I'd also like you to see the rust on my neighbours Wife's 55 plate Punto Sports - a car that cost her £12K new has literally fallen apart.

Mercedes are not immune to the natural elements of the environment nor mechanical failures BUT obviously a well cared for model will outlive many of it's competitors........'based on my own eyes' of course!
A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - barney100
Everyone who I know who has Mercedes from various eras have nothing but praise for them. I only had minor rust problems with a c class but this was fixed free of charge to a very good standard. My cars have not ben outstandingly expensive compared to other makes I have had and certainly very reliable. I use a very good indie for servicing and my last service cost £207 including brake fluid and coolant changes.
Great to hear and long may your desire for the 3 pointed star continue.

Quite honestly, I really don't know why the average motorist with sufficient funds to buy a decent used car wants to buy anything other than a Mercedes (preferably with a full MBSH).

Maybe I am biased but having driven company cars - Mondeo's, a Peugeot and a BMW3 series, they do not hold a light to a well maintained used Merc.

A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - John F
Quite honestly I really don't know why the average motorist with sufficient funds to buy
a decent used car wants to buy anything other than a Mercedes (preferably with a
full MBSH).

The reason why is because of the problems illustrated by the negative comments above!
I bought my 1998 Audi A6 2.8 [E280 competitor] in early 2003 with 77,000 on the clock. It has now done 102,000 and so far has cost me 6 spark plugs, one set of front and rear pads and three lots of oil and filters. And to have both front split gaiters repaired. And a front coil spring. And the annual MoT. It cost £8000 plus my 13yr old Audi 2.0SE - considerably less than an E280 would have done owing to the curious British infatuation with MB.

The only rust so far is on the heads of two small Phillips screws at the bottom of the front doors and on the original exhaust system which I have sprayed with heat resistant aluminium paint...........yes, don't tell me...'they rust from the inside'....but it was satisfying!
I shall keep it until something big goes wrong...then scrap it and look for another one. However, it is so beautifully engineered I think it may outlast me!

It still looks modern too, as opposed to MBs which often look ten years older than they are.
A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - Justy1
Hi guys

I'm very pleased that this one is up for discussion. I will shortly have a budget of approx. £15,000 and hoped to buy an E-class estate but the reliability problems have really put me off (budget doesn't stretch to post 2006). I was therefore considering A6 Avant but have been told it's ride is choppy and I can't be doing with that. Would a 2005 E-class with full MBSH be OK as I would imagine it has had its problems sorted. Or am I dilluding myself!
By all means buy a 2005 Merc. Rust issues solved. Of course check out the maintenance costs. Mercedes have all these nice glass palaces to pay for.

I looked at buying a Mercedes in detail: maintenance is NOT cheap.

Read the Mercedes forums... and get some ideas..

As for all UK drivers aspiring to a Mercedes... an interesting thought... :-)

A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - NowWheels
the curious British infatuation with MB

John, it's not just a British phenomenon. Rightly or wrongly, Mercs are similarly highly sought after in many other countries.
A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - Justy1
I appreciate the maintenance costs, my concern is the electrical problems that I understand have plagued the pre 2006 cars. Any problems that occur to any car I buy will have to be paid for by me. I'm just trying to work out the risks and it's not looking too good. I think I may well get another V70 - not perfect but reliable. It's a real shame as I really do enjoy the ride comfort of a friends E-class and that is what has pointed in MB's direction.
A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - ForumNeedsModerating
The thread title really does sum it up in my view. I've owned an example of the W124 generation & last series C-class (2000-2007) & both have been horribly expensive to maintain. In fact the only cars that have let me down or had £1000+ repair bills have been MBs. I've never scrimped on servicing - all were bought (from main dealers) with MBSH - and I continued that; nevertheless, big bills ensued.

I'm currently having post-service work done (springs, steering components & injector seals & a few other..) total cost cost for B service & repairs will be about £1350 on a car of 6
years old & much less than 100K miles. I'm only keeping the car because I didn't want to sell it as is & will need to re-coup the outlay by keeping it longer than anticipated.

Don't get me wrong - I love the overall ambience & relaxed, smooth performance of Mercs - they're also full of hidden gems in terms of thoughtful design & attention to detail & most of them look pretty svelte too. But keeping them up to scratch (maybe the newer ones are better, I don't know) & replacing/refurbishing bits requires deep-ish pockets.

I like my current car, but won't consider another Merc when I finally dispose of it.

A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - John F
>> the curious British infatuation with MB
John it's not just a British phenomenon. Rightly or wrongly Mercs are similarly highly sought
after in many other countries.

Not similar in my experience. I spent a week in a Swiss ski resort at a hotel by the main road - predominantly Audis [prob because so much better in snow]. I have travelled a fair bit in France and Spain - v few MBs in France, not overly obvious in Spain. Don't know about Italy.

I agree they are good cars - but they no longer stand out in the way they used to do. The MB aura is alive and well in the benzocracy of the third world, where the politico-plutocrats probably don't even understand how a steam engine [or anything else, for that matter] works; but the Brits should really know better. As far as VFM is concerned, MB scores a big fat zero in my book!

A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - LikedDrivingOnce
I agree they are good cars - but they no longer stand out in the
way they used to do. The MB aura is alive and well in the benzocracy
of the third world where the politico-plutocrats probably don't even understand how a steam engine
[or anything else for that matter] works; but the Brits should really know better. As
far as VFM is concerned MB scores a big fat zero in my book!

Your opinion of Mercedes-Benz matches my views on BMW. Good cars, but overrated.

No wonder so many people drive Audis these days.
A complex design not suited to cheap longevity. - Alanovich
Your opinion of BMW matches my views on Audi. Good cars, but overrated.

No wonder so many people drive Hyundais these days!

;-)
Justy,
from my limited knowledge of later MB's you will have a much better car apparently if made after 05, check it is later built and not just regd 05, galvanised chassis etc.

Owners of post 05 MB's wax lyrical about how much better they are, well they jolly well should be the cost of them and the fact the oldest is only 4 years.
What they'll be like at 8/10 years is anyone's guess, and that will be the real test.

My 124 is now 13 years old and really is the condition of many 3/4 year old cars..Stu will bare that out if he's lurking.
I had that model's inherant problems a few years ago (wiring loom degradation causing a spike of the ECU), i became really fed up and considered getting rid of the thing.
However apart from that, i have maintained meticulously and considering i've had about 7 years of very enjoyable use, the overall ownership is emerging as a good and economical experience, and i fully intend another 5 years at least.

The most important aspect of owning one of these (or BMW) is to find yourself a competent honourable indy, i won't state my annual servicing costs as it costs me less than a C1 to have serviced annually, and my indy doesn't need any more customers.

If you go to the main dealer, the bills will be eye watering, a good indy is worth his weight in gold.
The most important aspect of owning one of these (or BMW) is to find yourself
a competent honourable indy

Wise advice, GB, but easier said than done (especially in here in Cowboy City).

I'll just get rid of the thing when it reaches 100k miles, and can't be protected by a warranty anymode.

>>(especially in here in Cowboy City).

swmbo and i are trying in vain to work out just where on earth you mean..;)

IIRC you are a beemer man, if anywhere near Chelmsford i have a tried indy who gets good reports, and has been used by my family with good result.
It is very kind to offer a suggestion like that, GB. I am genuinely touched. (But then Backroomers had probably already worked out that I was touched....).

By "Cowboy City" I mean London. I moved up here 20 years ago from God's Own County (a.k.a Hampshire), where decency prevails. Every time I get anything done in London to the house or the car, it always seems to be done by cowboys, even when I pay top dollar. This city is full of chancers or Spivs. None of them, I hasten to add, are in fact native Londoners, who all seem to have moved to nicer parts of the country.

Yes, I run a beemer. I wanted the Coupe, but SWMBO insisted we get the Touring, and she loves it, though I harbour a lingering resentment. However, it has been reliable, so I have not had to face the eye-watering repair bills that I hear horror stories about.

At the moment I have an extended dealers warranty, which is not as dear as I thought that it would be. I can keep up this warranty until the car gets to 100k miles. BMW's are well built and can last for double that mileage easily, but without a good indy, or a warranty, then I am decidedly twitchy. So the car will have to go. If SWMBO still overrules me getting a nice used 3er Coupe, and I have to get another estate, then I'll go for something with 4-wheel drive or front-wheel drive, like an A4 Avant.