06 2.2 locked on brake - teabag3120
My left front disc appears to be stuck on leading to wheel wobble. I limped home on a slow speed, no warnings on the dash. Has any body experienced this before any advice before I take it to the dealers on monday it has got 15.000 miles on the clock.

TEABAG
06 2.2 locked on brake - Mchenry
I can't see why a brake locked on would make the wheel wobble. Surely it would just make the car pull constantly to that side.
Were the rim and brake hot when you got home?
Jack it up in the morning and see if the wheel will turn freely. If it won't, take the wheel off and try to find where it's binding.
Check the rim and the tyre aren't damaged.
Yes thats right there was massive pulling to that side, only a slight pull to that side as I carried out a test on the way home. The disc was licking hot when I checked it on my return whicl led me to believe it was a break issue and It would not roll freely down the slight bank outside my house . Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Teabag
06 2.2 locked on brake - gordonbennet
It may be the caliper sliding mechanism corroded up with salt (assuming its a sliding caliper brake layout), will need to dismantle, clean up and brake grease/copaslip depending on whats seizing.
Oops sorry the car did not massively pull to that side and it just seemed to be the disc that was much hotter that all the others and yes the wobble did not happen on my slow dive back only at about 40 to 50 miles an hour before I realised there was a problem.
I did feel however that something was not right during my 20 miles run
Cheers
Teabag
06 2.2 locked on brake - gordonbennet
If its the brake seizing it will probably pull to the side thats seizing whilst driving normally, but pull the other way whilst braking. If that makes any sense.

06 2.2 locked on brake - Kalmer
I have had exactly the same symptoms as teabag3120 on two occasions, both resulting from brake binding. It was only the nearside front that was getting extremely hot, but the steering kept 'wobbling'. I think it was because the binding would 'release' at some part of the rotation and then bind again. This alternate releasing and binding, perhaps due to a warped disc coupled with sticking caliper pistons, may have been causing the 'wobbling'.