Corsa, Clio or Grande Punto advice please ... - rogertb
Hi chaps, I think I've read all the reviews and searched the forums and would like to find someone who has been looking at super minis as well (ideally someone with a lot more knowledge than I have). I'd like to spend no more than £7,500 and started looking at low mileage used but there are a few deals out there on low spec. new models (OK maybe I'd need to spend a little more) ... I've been offered a nice ex courtesy Punto (1.4 Active 4d) for around what I want to spend but my wife prefers the Clio (we only keep one car, she doesn't drive but has a say) ! and then the Corsa seems like a good buy ... I don't need speed just reliability and cheap running costs and these are all pretty similar hence my dilemma (of course there's also the Seat, Yaris, Fiesta etc) ... any advice very welcome ... of course maybe I should leave it a couple of months anyway .... decisions decisions. Regards Roger
Corsa, Clio or Grande Punto advice please ... - oldnotbold
The biggest cost in owning any of theses cars will be the depreciation. My guess is that the Yaris would be the best for this, followed by the Clio, Fiesta and Corsa, which will all be much the same. The Punto will depreciate the most. Other owners have had problems with service/support (and dealer closures, resulting in lots more miles) from Fiat dealers.
Corsa, Clio or Grande Punto advice please ... - oilrag
We have two Mk2 Punto`s that we are happy with, but we are within walking distance of a good Fiat main dealer. If he ever closes it leaves two others, both about 18 miles away and multi-franchise. There used to be three others within reasonable range, but they are gone.

Sure, I do all my own work on the cars, but I would`nt want a 36 mile round trip for a Fiat specific part - I had that with Citroen twenty years ago and would`nt go back to it.

Its only a few years back that Fiats CEO seemed to be saying they could pull out of the UK if they did`nt get into profit. Now he seems to be saying Fiat cannot survive without a partner - a bigger manufacturer.

In these troubled times, Ford or Toyota seem a safer bet to me, for maintaining dealer coverage - I write this as a Fiat `enthusiast` by the way.

Edited by oilrag on 29/12/2008 at 14:42

Corsa, Clio or Grande Punto advice please ... - Rattle
Am I also right in thinking that FIAT still have not sorted out the issues with their crappy gearboxes or will the Grande Punto use GM ones?
The GP seems to be often bought new by mechanically unsympathetic first owners - as a first car. It seems a `statement` car - part of bonding together, to them.

There are many cringe worthy threads on another forum. Running out of oil - not checking oil for 11,000 miles, forcing gear changes, without any understanding at all of how synchromesh works. Also revving the engine to the limiter constantly - as though it were a computer game. One guy changed down to second to overtake - over-revved (mechanically) and damaged a brand new engine with under twenty miles on the clock.
Chipped, thrashed, bottles of cooking oil into the diesels and then sold after a year or so - if not written off. Bragging about `ragging` dealer demonstrators too. These guys seem to have no concern for future owners - only their own gratification - even if that ruins the car.

One guy with one of the older Fiats fitted bigger wheels and then wrote of a `bandsaw` noise from the back when stuffed with other teenagers.

Yep, it seems its the modern `baseball hat on back to front` brigade that would once have thrashed Novas.

I would suggest buying only a new GP or 100bhp Panda as they (in particular) seem to fall into the hands of these lads. Even the basic models can be thrashed to death though.

Buying used, a Toyota seems a much safer bet - if only for the above

Corsa, Clio or Grande Punto advice please ... - gordonbennet
The GP seems to be often bought new by mechanically unsympathetic first owners -

Thats a very good summary of exactly what we all want to avoid like the plague OR.

I wonder if there's a thread lurking there at some point, something along the lines of what cars to avoid if at all possible.

Your whole post made me shudder, these idiots with no common sense and certainly no mechanical knowledge or sympathy being in the financial position to be able to have a car like that for the first year of its life, and then its sold on to some unsuspecting soul as a one owner car. A horrible thought.

Funnily enough on another forum a mature chap was making a not dissimilar point, and suggested a Toyota Celica as a good potential used car, it made me think, and i can only agree with him that the celica is probably one of the most likely unabused possible used cars out there, usually bought by mature customers and maintained meticulously.

Obviously they can still be abused in the wrong hands, but this likely first owner secenario makes one think.
Corsa, Clio or Grande Punto advice please ... - piggy
The GP seems to be often bought new by mechanically unsympathetic first owners

Spot on as usual Oilrag. I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of some of these GP owners. I think they probably get them as a present from mummy and daddy. They seem to have no concept of paying for their mistakes the hard way. Or are we both getting old?
Corsa, Clio or Grande Punto advice please ... - Avant
Reliability - Jazz, Yaris or Fabia
More room - Jazz or Fabia
Lots of them to choose from - Fiesta, Corsa and Clio
Better dealers - Jazz or Yaris (possibly Clio: some Renault dealers are excellent, e.g. Cross Roads Garage in Oxfordshire, and some are awful)
Heavy depreciation so you'll get a newer one: Corsa, Panda or Punto.
New instead of used for your budget: Colt or i10 (there are plenty of others but smaller than a supermini).

If you're not in a hurry, go for some test drives, and for the sake of peace take SWMBO with you!

Edited by Avant on 29/12/2008 at 15:57

Corsa, Clio or Grande Punto advice please ... - stunorthants26
Try a Daihatsu Sirion if you have a dealer within reach, the 1.3 should come in near your budget, esp a pre-reg.
If you intend to keep the car a while, the 5 year warranty is worth it too.
"I wonder if there's a thread lurking there at some point, something along the lines of what cars to avoid if at all possible."

I`m reluctant to post a link GB.... if you look at a certain marque specific forum it will all jump out.

All the best ;)
Corsa, Clio or Grande Punto advice please ... - Alby Back
A relative who was a traffic cop assures me that his force used to refer to certain cars (especially hot or warm Fords such as XR3is and the like) as "kebabs".

Saturday night takeaways...
Corsa, Clio or Grande Punto advice please ... - seasiders rock
were not all chavs driving fiats. i have a 100 hp and am 55. it has been well looked after, at 12000 miles no problems and the engine is sweet as a nut.
Corsa, Clio or Grande Punto advice please ... - Avant
Sorry Stu, it's easy to forget the Sirion, isn't it. You've done us a service in bringing it to people's attention. Daihatsu must have a very low advertising budget: from what you told us after your researches it seems to be a worthy competitor in the supermini stakes, particularly if you can get a good deal as you did. List price is quite high, but presumably nobody pays that unless they were born yesterday.
Corsa, Clio or Grande Punto advice please ... - stunorthants26
Im not on any kinda personal crusade for Daihatsu or anything, but the cars arent half bad and I spent alotta time reading owner reviews so Im not the only one who is happy with these cars. Even the press are quite positive. Folk come here for help so making sure they have every possible option in mind is I think just 'good service' to fellow BR members.

Its true that people dont think of them against mainstream models, but there is no reason not to. The Sirion we have doesnt seem to be, in real terms, any smaller inside than a Grande Punto which I clean - rear legroom seems better, access certainly is and the boot is much wider.

Dealers do plenty of pre-reg cars at the plate change and some will pre-reg the car for you and pass on the discount. There is on say a 1.3 auto Sirion, atleast £1500 margin, perhaps more.
Corsa, Clio or Grande Punto advice please ... - bbroomlea{P}
We have just bought a pre-reg Grande Punto after reviewing the same choices you have. We went for the Punto as it felt a bigger car and was better value in terms of the toys you get over the others - bluetooth handsfree, computer etc. Dare I say, it also feels better built and better interior than anything from Renault, Peugeot etc - thats not to say they are bad, just the Punto feels better - to me anyway.

I drive an A4 and the Punto is for my wife - after doing a couple of long trips I miss the power of the Audi but interior noise and ride is little different.

Depreciation is likely no better or worse than the others you have mentioned and to say the Grande Punto was released almost 2 years ago I have found very few common issues on the internet and is generally well received so I am not too concerned about reliability either.
Corsa, Clio or Grande Punto advice please ... - rogertb
Thanks to one and all for the excellent advice, I'll keep digging, interesting remarks about the Celica, I had one, from new, for about 12 years and it was really excellent (until someone ran into me and wrote it off) ... I was therefore tempted towards the Yaris but it's a little small and I read some bad comments about them here, of course people have bad experiences with any car that's why this is such a great forum, I'm in no hurry so will keep reading. I must say though that having looked at and sat-in most of the super minis none have made me think "I want this" ... unlike my old Celica or current Rover 75 ... oh well. Happy and prosperous New Year to all. Roger