99 1.8 Starting of engine in colder weather ? - jp147
When I have been starting the petrol engine of my car first thing in the colder mornings we have been having once it ignites it turns over quite slowly/reluctantly - is this purely because of colder weather ?
99 1.8 Starting of engine in colder weather ? - yorkiebar
Not quite sure I understand your post. To clarify, turning over is what the engine does to start. Igniting (not the most used term) is when it actually starts and runs off its own power, not that of the battery and starter.

Do you mean that it turns over much slower than norml, but does catch and start?

If so, most likely is a combination of poor contacts, especially earth, and/or poorly starter motor. Very difficult to diagnose without a quick listen.

hth
99 1.8 Starting of engine in colder weather ? - jp147
I mean once the starter motor has done its job and actually started the engine, the engine sounds like it is running slower for the first minute or so than when the outside temperature is higher
99 1.8 Starting of engine in colder weather ? - oilrag
"the engine sounds like it is running slower"

What`s the reading on the rev counter?

Edited by oilrag on 28/12/2008 at 08:21

99 1.8 Starting of engine in colder weather ? - Dynamic Dave
the engine sounds like it is running slower for the first minute or so than
when the outside temperature is higher

But does the rev counter show any difference?

Excuse me for mentioning, but looking back over your other questions about your car, I think you're being overly paranoid about some of the *problems* you think it has.
99 1.8 Starting of engine in colder weather ? - mfarrow
... also, diesel or petrol?
99 1.8 Starting of engine in colder weather ? - jc2
The original post says PETROL.
99 1.8 Starting of engine in colder weather ? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I was told to start a cold engine with the clutch pedal depressed; apparently this stops the starter turning all of the cogs etc in the box and gives the starter less work to do. Standing by for correction on this!
99 1.8 Starting of engine in colder weather ? - jc2
This habit came in with ball-race clutch release bearings replacing carbon blocks(about 1931).