1999 1.6 Knocking noise and vibration when braking - ThomasJPitts
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help me. I have a fairly loud knocking noise when I am braking. It's coming from the passenger side front wheel and feeds into the steering which wobbles along with the knocking noise. It's now started to affect the steering even when I'm not braking too. Any ideas what it could be, and perhaps more importantly, how much it might cost me!?

Thomas
1999 1.6 Knocking noise and vibration when braking - Peter.N.
Could be a number of things, a warped or cracked brake disc, suspension joints or even the tyre.
1999 1.6 Knocking noise and vibration when braking - vulcan7
Do hope you've checked the wheel is tight would not want it to fall off on you.

Could also be a seized brake caliper or pads. The list goes on, does vibration come up brake pedal or just through steering.

Has it had any major repairs like clutch done recently.

Not a good idea to drive it like this me thinks
The vibration comes through sterring wheel, not through brake pedal that I've noticed. The wheel seems tight enough. It's had some repairs but to the bodywork back of the car where I was rear-ended recently.
1999 1.6 Knocking noise and vibration when braking - gordonbennet
Check for drive shaft cv joint wear and/or split cv boots that could have let all the grease out.

Obviously you've already checked for the usual suspension joint wear and looseness.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/12/2008 at 20:03

How long has it had this problem since repair to rear end or before ?
It's been happening since the back end of July I think. A fair while. It stopped if I braked harder and sometimes wasn't there at all but it's got gradually worse. Thankfully I don't do many miles as it is, just to work and back - and have kept checking things like the wheel tightness.
Sounds like a job for a garage you can trust !

When's the mot due they might spot the problem if your lucky

Or hope someone comes along on here who knows 306 well and their little quirks
MOT's due in March. I'll try and get it in somewhere over the New Year. However unlikely that sentence may sound...!
Take care where you get it in mate if you know what I mean.

Some places will just change everything on the brakes steering and suspension and think it's Christmas again.

You get a bill for more then cars worth !