New Jazz - option issues. - daveyjp
My dad is seriously considering a new Jazz as his retirement present, but after looking at the brochure he's a bit disappointed that you can't mix and match a few of the options.

He's driven the third and top tier models and really likes the third tier as it has 15 inch alloys. But he likes the top tier has it has auto climate control, but it also has the large wheels and a glass roof - he thought the larger wheels gave a harsher ride. 16 inch tyres tend to be more expensive too. The top tier also has auto lights and wipers which he doesn't hanker for. So if he wants the auto climate he needs to find a lot more money to pay for lots of things he doesn't want and live with a harsher ride. IIRC insurance is more too.

Seemingly no option for a spare wheel is also a major disappointment to him and may be a deal breaker.

Servicing for 5 years for £550 is one aspect he is interested in.

I've noticed Honda also do this with the more expensive models - give a few levels of trim and very few options. So if you want one particular extra you have to buy a higher spce model.

Have they ever done 'menu' pricing or is this more usual with German marques?
New Jazz - option issues. - Bill Payer
This is a Japanese thing were they make only a few varients so it makes production more efficient.

On previous Jazz there were even fewer versions, and I know only a few years ago if you wanted a Civic with even a/c then the a/c was fitted at the dealership.

We currently have 53 reg Jazz SE and would normally have replaced it by now. Its trim level is OK and it's 14" steel wheels are perfectly adequate. Mrs BP will damage alloys and I'll get cross about it. However she would like things like front fogs (she thinks they look good but would never use them) and a leather steering wheel. I quite like the opening sunroof that was standard when we got the car.

Lack of spare would be an issue for me too - we've had a puncture that occured the weekend of a family funeral and not being able to use the car would have been a real issue.

My big spec gripe with the model we have is lack of intermittant rear wiper and, from first glance, they've done the same on new Jazz.

I'm seriously thinking of getting another Mitsubishi Colt (daughter has one already). Add a/c to the entry level model and it's otherwise acceptable spec and it's about £5K chepaer than Jazz, which is a big difference. Alternatively year old Focus / Astra look astonishingly cheap and as you go up in size cars tend to be better spec'd - my FIL (who always drove large size cars) is thrilled with his Astra 1.8VVTi Design auto at £7500 (lists at £18K).
New Jazz - option issues. - Avant
"Seemingly no option for a spare wheel is also a major disappointment to him and may be a deal breaker."

It's amazing how stupid some manufacturers can be. Last time this topic came up on here, nobody was in favour of the can of gunge as opposed to a proper wheel.

SWMBO's Mini Cooper is similarly afflicted, with lack of space a slightly more valid excuse than in a Honda. We bought a spacesaver wheel and tyre which we take with us if the Mini ever does a long trip. (No need when she drives to work - she would call out the breakdown service rather than change a wheel.)

Honda if they have any sense must at least make a spare wheel an option.
New Jazz - option issues. - nortones2
The drawback with the "gunge" is that some damage is not fixable even temporarily. I recall hitting a brick at 50mph: tyre damaged but also (steel) wheel distorted. Sidewall damage also doubtful if sufficiently bad. If the dealer did not source a wheel and tyre as part of the deal, I'd leave it well alone. A decent dealer would have no problem getting it sorted, surely?
New Jazz - option issues. - andyfr
Honda if they have any sense must at least make a spare wheel an option.

I was led to understand that it is an option.
New Jazz - option issues. - tawse
This is what puts me off Honda - with the CRV you can only have lumbar support on the top model CRV but not even an option on the other models. So if you do not want a sun-roof and satnav then you can't have lumbar.

I think on the Jazz MP3 connectivity is only available on the top model, how much does that cost - pennies?, so, again, if you do not want things like a sun-roof you are kind of screwed.

I have to say that I think the Japanese makers are way behind the likes of Ford in offering options across the range.

New Jazz - option issues. - J500ANT
For the servicing, does he pay the dealer the £550? Just wondering/worrying, incase the dealer goes bust......
New Jazz - option issues. - merlin
The large wheels invariably fitted to top of the range models makes no sense to me. I want a decent ride and the options offered by the more expensive models. Unfortunately often this is not possible.
New Jazz - option issues. - NowWheels
I have to say that I think the Japanese makers are way behind the likes
of Ford in offering options across the range.

Don't be too quick to knock the business model of the Japanese car-makers.

Which car manufacturers are desperately pleading for billions of taxpayers cash to pull them back from the brink of bankruptcy? Is it Ford, or is it the Japanese?
New Jazz - option issues. - rtj70
But even Toyota has announced losses of around £1.1 billion! And they have always been very profitable. Which goes to show how bad the others are suffering.
But even Toyota has announced losses of around £1.1 billion!

For the year. Ford would be ecstatic if they could cut their losses to that much per month.
New Jazz - option issues. - tawse
Which car manufacturers are desperately pleading for billions of taxpayers cash to pull them back
from the brink of bankruptcy? Is it Ford or is it the Japanese?

Give it a few weeks and perhaps the Japanese makers in the UK will be asking for tax-payers' money.

I found the Toyota figures a bit odd today - apparently they sold 9,400,000 cars last year and made a profit. They have sold 9,000,000 this year - a shortfall of 400,000 cars - yet have lost a billion.

Perhaps they too have fields full of cars.

Here's a tip for them - make cars that Northern Europeans can fit into safely and comfortably!!!
I found the Toyota figures a bit odd today - apparently they sold 9 400
000 cars last year and made a profit. They have sold 9 000 000 this
year - a shortfall of 400 000 cars - yet have lost a billion.

Take a look at what's been happening to the Yen to dollar exchange rate in the last year, and you'll see how their losses have occurred. Prices for the US market, set in dollars, are bringing home much fewer yen than they used to.
New Jazz - option issues. - Bill Payer
a shortfall of 400 000 cars - yet have lost a billion.

Well, 400,000 cars at £10,000 each is £4BN. At 25% gross margin there's your billion pounds.
New Jazz - option issues. - carl_a
>> a shortfall of 400 000 cars - yet have lost a billion.
>>
Well 400 000 cars at £10 000 each is £4BN. At 25% gross margin there's
your billion pounds.

Sorry Bill Payer but you're not working it out right, they made 8 billion the year before, now -1 billion = 9 billion change. Thats a considerable amount more than 1 billion!

In 2007 they made about $1500 (USD) per vehicle sold, now they are making a loss. The reason being that 400,000 cars are where the profit comes from, the others just cover the cost of operating (or not as the case may be).
New Jazz - option issues. - Falkirk Bairn
Sales are at Toyota were down - this explains part of the loss.

The other part was what discounts (above the "normal margin") were made to shift the cars/vans etc

A local business was said to be running @ 75% capacity - however in order to keep volume as high as 75% they were discounting as well - 75% volume x 90% price = Revenue of 67.5% of previous year
New Jazz - option issues. - Avant
Interesting that HJ found a full-size spare wheel in the test car. So Honda can do it if they try.