new possible car - sooty123
i'm thinking of getting rid of the fiesta zetec s for something else but i'm not really sure what to buy. I've got 7k ish, i want something fun to drive, at least as good to drive as the ZS. I mainly drive on motorways and a roads. I was think S2000 or Focus ST. But i'm not sure if they are a bit 'much' for long distance commute. Any ideas?
new possible car - Rattle
Why not get a simple Focus 1.8 or 2.0. You get the best of both worlds then. Forget the Focus ST probably more power than you will ever need.
new possible car - cjehuk
Friend had an ST for about 18 months. Nothing at all wrong with it as a long distance car but beware that the best it ever did was about 30mpg- brilliant for a large car or a large SUV, less impressive for an average sized hatchback. The S2000 will need its nuts revving off most of the time, but are supposed to be fun to drive.
new possible car - NowWheels
The title of this thread is confusing. As written, it appears to refer to a desire of the OP to purchase afresh a "possible car" , which is an interesting concept.

I can only construe the phrase "possible car" to have two meanings, although others may be aware of more possibilities:

a) Something which is not presently a car, but has the potential to become a car. This allows for a variety of possibilities: anything from a Complete Knockdown Kit (CKD) which could be assembled into a car, to a very big lump of metal which with suitable machining could be used to create a car. Or of course it may refer to something small and young which may grow up to become a car, just a caterpillar is a potential butterfly.

b) An object of undetermined nature, which may on further inspection be revealed to be a car, but might also turn out to be something else. (What else? A hologram? A cunningly painted papier-mâché sculpture? A wheeled washing-up bowl?)

Of course, the IP may have intended to refer to a "possible new car", which is a subject where the back room can be relied upon to offer much advice. But that would be so much more boring than a "possible car" :-)

[/pedant]
new possible car - sooty123
thanks for the post, very witty keep posting won't you.
new possible car - ifithelps
NowWheels wrote....the IP may have intended....

Is sooty123 now an injured party NowWheels?

What have you done to him? I think we should be told.
new possible car - Avant
Clearly a clean sweep from NowWheels.

Bye bye everyone.....
new possible car - Alby Back
Nice dilemma Sooty. You have a reasonable budget and should be able to find something suitable. As for the motorway element most modern kit will cope admirably, especially if you are looking at cars with a bit of power. For A road work you probably already have quite a good car and you will be aware of Ford handling and that any model from that manufacturer is generally good on the twisties.

I guess only you know how comfortable you would be with fairly high fuel consumption and insurance costs which would, I'm afraid, be a given with the models you mention.

As a bit of a different alternative and assuming of course that the the size is appropriate, it might be fun to check out the Panda 100hp. Never driven one but they look like a hoot and you could probably get a new or almost new one for your budget.

Have fun looking !