Is this worth a punt?? - k9dan
Have my eyes on a very tidy 99 T plate Jag XJ 4.0V8 LWB sovereign 68K miles, for £3995 and full history. Have looked at the pros and cons on HJ, only 2mpg difference between the small engine and the 4.0. Anyone run one of these on a day to day basis? What is the reality in running one, mpg not too important.
Is this worth a punt?? - Westpig
price seems a bit steep....traditionally, for some reason, the S Type has kept a little bit more value than the XJ... and I have a 1999 'T' reg S Type fairly high spec with very similar mileage and decent full history, inc all bills....i don't think mine's worth half that, maybe £2,500 if I was lucky. Fair enough a garage would mark it up a bit from a private seller, to cater for a warranty etc, but it does seem a bit dear.
Is this worth a punt?? - MVP
Sounds top money to me

I would have thought it would be worth half that

MVP
Is this worth a punt?? - Pugugly

On e-bay a 5 year old for twice the money - 1 owner as well.
Is this worth a punt?? - k9dan
Parkers reckons on £4660, don't see the trader taking 2k ish.
Is this worth a punt?? - BB
I bought a 2002 XK8 with the 4 litre engine....expect around 16-18 mpg around town and upto 30-35 on a long run depending on heavyness of foot. Runs a lot better on V power than on normal unleaded.

I had mine converted to run on LPG for a cost of £1700. Best thing I ever did as I am getting the equivalent of 30-34 mpg around town and around 45 on a long run.

Check CNC breakdown for usual problems.....

I would say that the price is fair for a excellent condition car with full service history. Offer £3500 and see what you get!

Good luck!!

Edited by Webmaster on 19/12/2008 at 23:52

Is this worth a punt?? - madf
Bear in mind when bargaining, it's the worst time to sell cars, big cars are unloved and cash is king.

Personally I'd leave my telephone number, make a silly offer and wait.

After another 3 months, you may be lucky.
Is this worth a punt?? - Kevin
Don't know if the asking price is reasonable but I've used a '99 XJ8 3.2 Exec. as a daily driver for the last six years.

It's the most relaxing car I've ever owned but the old dear will still pick up her petticoats and outrun much younger stuff when you want her to.

It will be replaced by another XJ, probably Daimler Super-V, if it ever suffers major problems.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=67...1

Kevin...
Is this worth a punt?? - Big Bad Dave
It actually seems to be priced in line with all the other LWB Sovereigns on Autotrader at the moment.

There's one that sticks out from the others though - 2002 model with 80k miles in Racing green at £3999.

Kevin all the Super V8s are shifting like hot cakes this week. All year there has consistently been about 25 Daimlers on Autotrader, this week it dropped to 11 and only 2 of those are Supers. A £35k 2007 model went yesterday. Several keenly priced 6/7 year-olds vanished mid-week, one before my eyes as I was flicking through the images.

I'm glad somebody is going to have a fantastic Christmas.
Is this worth a punt?? - Kevin
>Kevin all the Super V8s are shifting like hot cakes this week.

I know, and it's starting to annoy me.

Kevin...
Is this worth a punt?? - Mapmaker
There's an XJS on autotrader at the mo for £1200 with 12 months' MOT...

Fortunately it's in silver-grey, which has to be the least attractive colour any car has ever been made in.