Turn those fog lights off! - Rattle
I reckon 1 in 3 cars where fitted drive along with their front or rear fogs on. Today was a classic example, visibility was miles yet people still have the flipping fog lights on. It is really really driving me insane now.

Is this just ignorance or do people think it looks cool? I have seen a few offenders being pulled over.

Another minor pet hate is people in these modern cars with LED rear clusters who hold their car with the brake pedal at lights, use your flipping hand brake, I don't want your bright lights hurting my eyes thank you very much! Yes I caqn see you have a 4.6 litre Vogue, but we both know its leased and you are not keeping up your payments so stop driving like a pratt.

Sorry for my late night rant can;'t sleep as usual.

Finally I really really hate people that don't indicate at roundabouts, it causes me problems as both a driver and pedistrian. I realise on BMW you have to active the indicators via the I drive system which involves downloading the latest security pack from Munich and then having to activate it, but you could always use arm signals!

Turn those fog lights off! - rtj70
So we have the classic front/rear fog lights, bright LED clusters and not indicating all in one thread. Classic.

This usually takes three threads to debate every few months.

Let us see what original replies we get or the usual???
Sorry :( ps all the above mainly annoys me as a pedistrian for some reason, but since I am at it, people who purposly stop in the cycle buffer at traffic lights also annoy me, I realise there can be times when its too late to stop before it, but a lot of people just do it on purpose.

I was a passanger in my dads car yesterday stuck at lights for 5 minutes, there was this Vogue he held his brake on for 5 mins and the red lights were painful. Must be the same as a 50w bulb and I am sure a 50w brake light is ilegal? It was certainly a lot brighter than the usual 21w ones.

Turn those fog lights off! - rogue-trooper
Rattle, I thought that we had all grown up a little bit and stopped the unfunny remarks about BMWs. If Clarkson is anything to go by (and I do happen to agree with him) it is now Audis that are to have scorn poured upon.

As for rear LED brake lights, why should I take my foot of the brake? (Again chippy remark about RR Vogue drivers not really necessary). If you don't want to look at the Mistubishi's brake lights when you are up my chuff, then turn your head away.
Well its always taught thats its a no no due to dazzeling other drivers at night which is what happened in this case. In the case of this RR the lights clusers were so high up you could not avoid it, the entire cabin was let up red from his lights.

And yep I agree its Audis rather than BMWs these days. I have been saying that well before JC mentioned it, so I found it very amusing.

The reference to BMW indicators was a joke, BMW drivers know they indicate all the time so they don't need to be offended by it :).

Thankfully RR's now seem to be a very rare sight on the roads as most of them are now for sale in Land Rover dealers. I don't want to get into debat for but for what it is worth.

There isn't any pattern with fog lights, it could anything from a 95 Punto SX, to an 2008 Audi A4. With regard to signalling it always seems to be mainly the drivers in bigger cars that don;'t bother.

Turn those fog lights off! - welshlad
unfortunatly LED or bulbs isnt an option yet the lights are what comes with the car, id much rather annoy someone behind me into stopping before they reach my backseat then put up with the normal bulb type of light failing on a regular basis
Turn those fog lights off! - FotheringtonThomas
As for rear LED brake lights why should I take my foot of the brake?

Perhaps Sir should take a refresher course of driving tuition?
Turn those fog lights off! - deepwith
There is a question in the theory test about using brake pedal at traffic lights - you shouldn't leave your foot on the pedal.
There is a question in the theory about every single one of the points I mentioned above :), if you kept doing that in your test (have the brakes on at light) you would fail as the examiner would see it as a bad habbit, if you did it once or twice you will get away with it. The same for fog lamps, if you drove half a mile with them on then turned them off you might just get away with it. The examienrs are very good at forgiving silly mistakes as longs as they see it was a mistake and not a habbit, e.g its not you would normally drive.
Turn those fog lights off! - L'escargot
............ do people think it looks cool?

Rattle, it is cool!

I used to be like you, always getting niggled about other drivers' use of lights, until I decided to chill out and accept that permanent use of fog lights was cool. Now I have mine on all the time. It's cool. Cool, cool cool ...........
;-)

Edited by L'escargot on 19/12/2008 at 07:34

Turn those fog lights off! - Chrome
+1 . I think its best to adopt a more chilled attitude and not stress over the actions of other motorists, after all what can you do about it all anyway? I was taught that pressing on the brake pedal whilst waiting in traffic can warp the brake discs, not sure if this is true but I never dazzle the driver behind out of courtesy.

Drive like a saint and ignore the sinners!
Turn those fog lights off! - GroovyMucker
Rattle it is cool!
... I have mine on all the time. It's cool. Cool cool cool ...........

IIRC you also have blue striplights, and a ropelight snail in your rear window.

Dude.
Nice rant! Well done! AOL!
Turn those fog lights off! - Old Navy
Rattle, if you are dazzled by brake lights, stop a few feet back and add your main beams to your dips and permanantly on fogs. Make sure your doors are locked though! :)
Turn those fog lights off! - redviper
Finally I really really hate people that don't indicate at roundabouts it causes me problems
as both a driver and pedistrian. I realise on BMW you have to active the
indicators via the I drive system which involves downloading the latest security pack from Munich
and then having to activate it but you could always use arm signals!

I so sympathise I HATE people who do not indicate at roundabouts, its not hard to do, just press the lever in the direction you want to go!

I hate people who sit with there foot on the brake pedal but i laugh in the fact they may have warped discs in the future and if anyone hits/bangs into the car them then the 1st thing a insurance company may do is check that ther handbrake was applied or not*

*whether this is true or not I dont know but this is what I heard from my driving instructor many years ago
Turn those fog lights off! - greenhey
I must point out to the OP that this betrays a lack of appreciation of drivers using their fog lights .
What they are doing is demonstrating preparedness for the event of reduced visibility. On occasions this preparedness extends to having them on and ready months before visibility problems are likely.
My highly scientific observations suggest that this high level or preparednesss seems to be particularly prevalent amongst drivers of
BMW 3 series
Peugeot 2 and 3 series
Renault Megane
Turn those fog lights off! - Dynamic Dave
I hate people who sit with there foot on the brake pedal but i laugh in the fact they may have warped discs in the future ....

An urban myth that discs warp when brakes are left applied.
SQ
An urban myth that discs warp when brakes are left applied.

Ah I didnt know that, I shall snigger no longer LOL!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/12/2008 at 12:48

Turn those fog lights off! - FocusDriver
HJ covered this in his DT column some months ago.

It turns out that Mercedes and a few other automatics drivers need to hold the brake down at lights because otherwise they'd "creep" forward.

As for fog lights. Some screaming idiot in front of me on Wednesday turned on her rear fogs really just to see what happened. She didn't have them on for the majority of the journey and turned them off again near (but not at) the end. She obviously thought it was unnecessary. But in the meantime I got a stonking headache.
Mercedes and a few other automatics drivers need to hold the
brake down at lights because otherwise they'd "creep" forward.

Haven't they got handbrakes?
"Haven't they got handbrakes? "

Erm...yes. I'll get my coat.
i used to apply my handbrake at every given oppurtunity but stopped as i got sick of the drivers behind me honking their horns or flashing me if i should take more then 0.5 of a sec longer to release it and not leave traffic lights as quick as they would like causing them what i would presume to them was an unacceptable delay in their journey.

its like they say if you cant beat them join them!!!!
I do they can honk all they like, I move off as quickly as nesscery I dont sit around but i refuse to be intimidated or bullied by other drivers.

sq

Edited by Pugugly on 19/12/2008 at 16:36

Turn those fog lights off! - Bilboman
I have the solution - USE THE SUNVISOR !! It blocks out sunlight, so it can block out brake lights, too, can't it? Or am I missing something?
For a more "robust" form of defence, I have long toyed with the idea of affixing a large mirror to the underside of the sun visor, so that it can actually shine the red light straight back at its source. It would probably have the desired effect with 90% of drivers. Gangstas in SUVs might get a little shirty about it, but they're most likely to be wearing RayBans to complement the all round darkened glass anyway...
Turn those fog lights off! - GJD
I have the solution - USE THE SUNVISOR !! It blocks out sunlight so it
can block out brake lights too can't it?

That's a big sun visor you have there!

or you can just close your eyes and use the force........im kidding im kidding!!!
I am very tempted to put a sticker on the back of my car

"I have good brakes, do you have good insurance?"

maybe I could get a nice LED one and write a simple C program which would display a message according to the type of car commiting the offense:-

if (carmake == "audi")
{
output="Nice motor shame about the driver"
}
if (carmake == "bmw")
{
output="Learnt how to use your indicators yet? cool aren't they"
}
if (carmake == "vectra")
{
output="How much commision did you make today? enough to pay for the fuel you're wasting with them fog lamps on?"
}

if (carmake == "landrover")
{
output="It is a pitty you only seem to know how to drive off road"
}
else if {
not funny and snipped

Now all I need to do is work out a way to inface my new message board to a PC via an RS232 :D

I admit there are some flaws in my plan too, one it being slightly ilegal, and two it might result in me ended up in hospital with a fractured nose.

Edited by Pugugly on 19/12/2008 at 16:38

Turn those fog lights off! - Altea Ego
Rattle

Is your brother called Adam?

I don't have a brother, why?
Turn those fog lights off! - Kevin
There are plenty of PICs available with built-in USART.

A quick google tells me that someone has done all the work for you, hopefully with more graceful code than sequential 'if's.

www.best-microcontroller-projects.com/serial-lcd.h...l

Kevin...
Yeah I have also seen the kits in Maplin, I have been very tempted since the joke ran in Top Gear once (America trip). It is sadly ilegal and will just encourage road rage. Saw a BMW tonight (320 couple standard lease spec) was over the line at the lights, had his fog lights on and had the brake on.
the joke ran in Top Gear once (America trip).

Dorset trip I think you'll find.
Turn those fog lights off! - Pugugly
Well yes - very funny, but please use a spellcheck before loading your slogans.

Sorry this was directed at Rattle and his creative spelling !

Edited by Pugugly on 19/12/2008 at 16:41

Turn those fog lights off! - jase1
Re people who sit at lights on their brakes, couple of seconds of full beams ought to sort them.
Turn those fog lights off! - andyfr
Re people who sit at lights on their brakes couple of seconds of full beams
ought to sort them.

Then they just flip the anti dazzle tab on the rear view mirror and turn on the rear fogs.
Then they just flip the anti dazzle tab on the rear view mirror ...

My mirror does that automatically for me ;o)
>> I have the solution - USE THE SUNVISOR !! It blocks out sunlight so
it
>> can block out brake lights too can't it?
That's a big sun visor you have there!

............ or the brake lights are way up in the sky!
;-)
Turn those fog lights off! - Altea Ego
I have my front fogs and my rear high intensity lights on permanently at the moment.

Its christmas after all. I have yet to put a lit tree in the windscreen.
Turn those fog lights off! - Harleyman
I have my front fogs and my rear high intensity lights on permanently at the
moment.
Its christmas after all. I have yet to put a lit tree in the windscreen.

.... and a turkey behind the wheel? ;-)
Turn those fog lights off! - Bilboman
Escargot said: "That's a big sunvisor you have there!"
2008 model Focus III, and yes the visors are absolutely huge. Funny sort of quadrant shape which strangely becomes an almost perfect straight line when fully opened, but actually very handy for blocking out, erm, sun. And brake and fog lights.
(So how big are yours???????)
I AM going to try out the mirror idea, or at least a 6 inch stip of Bacofoil to start with. Give the redlighters some of their own back...
Escargot said: "That's a big sunvisor you have there!"

Actually it was GJD who say it. L'escargot was replying to that message as well. Seeing that you are replying to the same message, I'll move it to the correct place for those people viewing the thread in 'threaded view'
Turn those fog lights off! - PW
Actually do Mercs have handbrakes now, or that stupid parking brake? If latter, and car is manual, some drivers may struggle with the set up- and end up holding it on the footbrake.
And apologies if am being pedantic at all- but Dad did have a manual poverty spec C Class in the 90's- and thought the parking brake was one of the worst pieces of automotive design had ever come across.
Turn those fog lights off! - barney100
Fog lights drive me mad too and unfortunately the police are almost non existent round here and enforcement is derisory. They stuck a road narrowing section with a warning sign up that access was for residents only. No one takes a blind bit of notice and the local authorities say they haven't the resourses to enforce the regulations.
Turn those fog lights off! - woodster
Shouldn't the fog light switch in all cars switch both front and rear lights on? What weather condition exists where it is only foggy to the front??
No car I've had has the switch turn on both sets of fog lights as one action. On my current car and most others you can only have the rear ones on if the fronts are on first (part of the same control) but you can only have the fronts on.

Edited by rtj70 on 19/12/2008 at 21:35

And surely this is wrong. If you can justify turning the fog lights on due to the weather conditions, then you should be turning both front and rear on at the same time. The switch should not allow fronts only. I suspect manufacturers do this to appeal to the people who think they look cool with the fronts on.
woodster, I agree. The Golf, Passat, Mondeo and Mazda6 (stupid you have to tell people the make and model but if I said 6...!) all let you turn on the front fogs only. And you cannot turn on only the rears either.

The other thing I have never looked into too much is how the Golf/Passat/6 could have the front fogs in the main light unit. I always thought they should be low to the ground as fog lights.

Rob
Turn those fog lights off! - Devolution
Front fog lights are still considered an option. I believe there is no requirement for them to be fitted to new cars, whereas a rear fog(s) must be present.

Although, nowadays, front fogs can also be found as "auxiliary" driving lights, hence the ability to switch them on independently on certain cars, for forward vision without lighting the rear.

As I understand it a rear fog should only come on with headlight/tail lights, but this requirement is not always there for the front fogs which can come on initially with sidelights which leads to fog+sides as a fashion accessory, rather than practical use.
Turn those fog lights off! - Rudedog
On my MKV Golf they are at ground level, and up here on the top of the North Downs I often run into patches of dense fog which quickly appears and then disappears, but I have also found that with these lights, because they are close to the ground, help illuminate the area close to the verges and have helped me avoid many a water-filled pothole or dark branch that wasn't picked out by my headlights. I have to say that rather than being blinded by low level front fogs it's the ultra bright HID lamps that do my eyes in, I'm always convinced they are on full beam by the way that they 'bob' up and down over undulation roads.
Turn those fog lights off! - whoopwhoop
As I understand it a rear fog should only come on with headlight/tail lights but
this requirement is not always there for the front fogs which can come on initially
with sidelights which leads to fog+sides as a fashion accessory rather than practical use.

No, it enables fog lights to be used to illuminate under the fog, without the dipped beam reflecting it back - which is what they're intended for.

All Front Fog lights should be capable of being operated with just sidelights.
Turn those fog lights off! - oilrag
"I am very tempted to put a sticker on the back of my car"
"I have good brakes, do you have good insurance?"

Rattle, How about "I have good brakes - getting a second opinion on the pipes"

Sorry ;)

(to make it more effective you would `mirror` write it and have it on a strip over the top of the windscreen - also solving the "brake light in front problem)
;)

Edited by oilrag on 20/12/2008 at 10:03

Turn those fog lights off! - mustangman
I've posted on this before. Personally I cannot see why front fogs cannot be used to aid your own visibility, when it is not dark enough to need headlights, such as twilight.
With the assumption of course that they are aimed correctly.

Yes I know it's technically illegal, but seems to me to be logical.

Now being stopped in clear conditions behind a car with rear fogs on ........ now that does get me going ........
Turn those fog lights off! - Devolution
No it enables fog lights to be used to illuminate under the fog without the
dipped beam reflecting it back - which is what they're intended for.

Sorry I didn't make that clear, yes I agree with what you say, but I meant that rather than genuine "practical" use, sidelights and fogs seem to be used (often) driving around on a clear summers evening etc etc, normally on cars that look heavily *modified*...
I suspect manufacturers do this
to appeal to the people who think they look cool with the fronts on.

We are cool. Cool, cool, cool .............

;-)

Edited by L'escargot on 20/12/2008 at 10:16

Fog lights (front and rear) offer no directional beam. They are they to allow others to see you, not vice versa. Auxiliary driving lights???? Meaning what exactly??
Turn those fog lights off! - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I have not yet been dazzled by anyone using OE built in front foglights. I have a low seating position in my Hyundai coupe as well- apart from the legality I see no problem in the improved visibilty to other road users.I do get dazzled by the very bright HID or aftermarket headlamp conversions though.
In these dark days I am glad to see that fog lights are also used to supplement the single surviving headlight bulb.....
Turn those fog lights off! - gordonbennet
I am glad to see that fog lights are also used
to supplement the single surviving headlight bulb.....

And that alone is a very good reason for having them, those special laws dictate that a headlamp bulb will blow at 4am when i am leaving for Anglesey.

Believe it or not they have managed to make many new trucks every bit as difficult to change a headlamp bulb as many new cars, i carry spare bulbs but its a very difficult task, especially in the dark...doh...

In these dark days I am glad to see that fog lights are also used to supplement the single surviving headlight bulb.....

As much as I detest front fog light users (when it's not foggy I should add), last night I used them as my offside dipped beam bulb has blown. Apart from the poor visibility with only one remaining bulb, I also felt vulnerable with only a puny 5 watt sidelight bulb illuminating the offside of my car. That's my excuse officer and I'm sticking to it.

To change the bulb in my Vectra-C I either have to partly remove the front bumper and remove the headlight, or remove the airfilter box and suffer scratched hands to change the blown bulb.
Turn those fog lights off! - bbroomlea{P}
I admit I used mine last night for a bit of my journey. No excuse but my lights were so dirty after a long drive, I couldnt see when I got on the country roads on the last bit of my journey. I always carry a cloth in the car but I didnt fancy stopping in the middle of the road to clean the headlights!

This morning my car has been thoroughly cleaned and limited use of fogs will resume:-)

As I have an A4, it appears it was another tick in the box for Audi drivers being a ....., if you listen to Clarkson!!

or remove the airfilter box and suffer scratched hands to change the blown bulb.

Managed to get away with only one scratch on the back of the hand to change the blown bulb. If I go out tonight I won't need to put my front fogs on again.
Turn those fog lights off! - nortones2
Fog lights proper are specified to have a cut off sharper than dipped. They only illuminate to the immediate front and sides of the vehicle. As if crawling along in fog. Driving at say 30, they are so closely angled to the car they have no value at that speed. OE lamps achieve this. The fashionista lamps though, are illegal, as well as dazzling, especially in their high-power versions. Some even seem brighter than the dipped beams, with a really ill-defined beam. Numpty-flags are all they are.
Why not do what I've done?

A small gadget I keep in my glove compartment. Press a button and the car in front simply and neatly explodes. It has a 'European Union Approved' mark on it since I put it there with indelible marker..

I've got front fog lamps but I've NEVER used them. I never use my rear fog lamps either. The last really bad fog I've encountered was about 16 years ago on the way to a friend's 18th. I could see NOTHING; it was a miracle I got to my destination.

Since then, no fog's even come close to matching that. Only when visibility is down to less than 20 metres would I put my fog lights on. They serve no purpose other than to irritate everyone else in any other conditions.

To those who say "I will not be intimidated by other drivers" I say "Bravo, just make sure you're not being an inconsiderate idiot in the first place". It's possible to take righteousness a bit far in some cases.
I read recently that on average the UK experiences 9 foggy days per year. I can't remember the last time I had to use my front foglights to aid vision. In fact on the few occasions that I've been driving in real fog (as opposed to heavy mist) I couldn't really decide whether front fog lights were beneficial or detrimental to forward vision. Unfortunately my car won't allow rear fogs to be on without the fronts being on.

I do, however, put the front fogs on temporarily when I meet an oncoming car which has them on just to let the driver know I'm cool as well!
Turn those fog lights off! - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Maybe we do not have fog very often within the strict meteorological definition.
But ,traversing the Peak District, I regularly experience low cloud, mist, spray, snow,sleet and darkness all of which conspire to reduce 'visibility'. My headlights and front fog lights are as much to help other road users, frequently including wet ramblers in dark clothing,unlit cyclists and stray farm animals, to see me as well to improve my own viewpoint. I definitely use rear fog lights when I struggle to see the vehicle in front.
I make a judgement and act upon it.
Turn those fog lights off! - Hector Brocklebank
Front fogs are important as they identify one's car as being at least one rung up from the poverty-spec base model. As we are all aware, this is a vital component of a man's self worth :-)

Perhaps today, front fogs are what black bumpers and solid paint were 10 years ago. Having your front fogs on permanently simply reminds drivers of lower-spec cars that you are superior to them as your salary allows you to look slightly north of the entry level model!

I am having a joke here, I'm not actually that shallow!!!
Hhehe

I might get a sticker

"I may be driving a poverty spec banger, but I do have a top of the range Cambridge Audio amplifer worth more than this car"

I thought all cars have them now anyway, there isn't really such thing as poverty spec anymore is there?
"I may be driving a poverty spec banger but I do have a top of
the range Cambridge Audio amplifer worth more than this car"

That made me remember the fad for having a massive transfer across the rear window with the name of their ICE system emblazoned for every thief to see.
hehe yeah, the HIFI system is in my bedroom (don't really listen to music in my car) I have a knack of buying HIFI cheaply in clearence sales and it actually ends up going up in value, the Cambridge amp is now worth twice what I paid for it.

The stickers were pathetic though, you used to see a lot of Pionneer and Kenwood ones. Also do you remember then orange stickers you often got on Fords which would say "Orion" or something.
I thought all cars have them now anyway there isn't really such thing as poverty
spec anymore is there?

I suppose the phrase 'poverty-spec' can nowadays be viewed in terms of relative poverty. I may have the kind of kit that would only be found in an S-class 20 years ago, but when the man next door has rain sensing wipers and here I am operating mine manually like a peasant, grrrrrrr!

I'd say most entry-level sub £20k cars don't have front fogs. They have to be reserved to make the higher-end, higher-profit stuff look more appealing. If you look at the current range of Mondeo/Insigia, the base models look suitably miserable and devoid of any cosmetic niceties, ready to undermine a poor sale-rep's self-worth :-)
I guess it does show how high speced my dads 11 year old Fiesta actually is, it has front fog lights, front heated screen, rear head rests, low profile tyres etc etc. Mine has manual locking, manual windows, no power steering, no rev counter, no split rear fold, it is true porvery spec. At least my wipers are electric though :D.

Electric windows is now standard isn't it? Every car I see now seems to have alloys, low profile tryes etc.

Incidently I was looking through an old What Car Magazine the other day on the standard equipment of a 1994 Merc C class entry level was nothing. Everything was an option, a radio cassete was £800! Electric windows £1500, central locking another £1k please., it is nice that we have come along with since then.
Turn those fog lights off! - Harleyman
Poverty spec?

..... adopts Pythonesque "Four Yorkshiremen" pose.....

We used to DREAM of 'avin' an Escort Popular Plus! :)
Hehe I had a friend who had one fo the first MK3s, it was a G ref Fiesta Popular Plus. We spent an hour trying to work out what plus meant, and then we discovered when you turned the ignition on the ABS warning light came on and went out again! That was an optional extra but the Popular Plus we discovered meant it had a glovebox!!

Rather like my dads Lada Riva 1200L, the L meant you got carpets although in some ways it was quite high spec, it had lights in the glovebox, in the boot etc, had no radio though.
>> We used to DREAM of 'avin' an Escort Popular Plus! :)

Yes, what Ford used to do was offer the base 'L' model with absolutely nothing, then they would use their imagination to create an even lower spec model which would be stripped out beyond belief. After creating the truly poverty-spec 'popular', they would have the audacity to create a 'plus' pack to try to pass it off as a luxury option. Thus, it made the extremely basic 'L' look like the third model up and supposedly luxurious option.

I'd love to know what kind of kit you didn't get in a popular. Presumably stuff that is taken for granted on anything this side of a rickshaw...
Turn those fog lights off! - DP
I seem to recall the "Plus" got you such heady luxuries as cloth trim, a push button radio, a clock, and a heated rear window, which means the standard Popular didn't get any of this stuff.

I was having a sort out recently and found a Ford brochure from the late 80's. It is truly amazing what comes as standard on cars now, that you paid (handsomely) for less than 20 yrs ago. The only car in the entire Ford range to come with air-con as standard back then was the Granada Scorpio, and if you bought a Sierra GL, four models from the bottom of the range, you still had to pay extra for electric front windows and power steering! But they did chuck in central locking and a rev counter. Woohoo....

Edited by DP on 21/12/2008 at 19:56

I seem to recall the Fiesta MkII Popular Plus had a rear-wash wipe... the Popular did not. A black plastic plug where the wiper should come out of!
Turn those fog lights off! - captain chaos
Didn't you just love those blanking plugs on the dash to remind you of the missing electrical goodies on your base model? Not ;-)
I have the top spec Mazda6 (Mk I) but because I do not have fitted sat nav it has one button that does not move or do anything (it raise the sat nav screen up)
My mates Fiesta MK3 (1995 vintage) also has a blanking plate where the wiper should be, his is an Azura. It does not have a cig lighter either.

I have the Povery spec MK4, but Ford have been very clever as parts of the dash are unique to my model so there is only two blanking plates. Mines so basic it dosn't even have a proper gear stick gaitor, so it looks like its striaght out of a 1958 Morris Minor but thats all part of the charm of basic Fords.

I do have a 4 speed heater and a 4 speed wiper though, which seems like luxery.
Mines
so basic it dosn't even have a proper gear stick gaitor

Should have gone for the Ghia if you wanted the crocodile trim, Rattle ;-)
I always thought that big Fords were particularly well specified for their time. A top spec Granada would offer pretty much every electrical gadget we have available now, at a time when a rear wash-wipe was considered decadent.

The amount of blanking plugs on the dash of entry level cars used to be comical, before designers thought of more intelligent solutions for the impoverished masses who could only lust after that coveted 'Ghia' badging!!!

I think it's funny how manufacturers give their boggo models names to try and hide the shame; 'studio', 'life' etc. In the olden days it was 'L' for loser!!! :-)
Rattle, i can't wait to hear you in about 25 years time grumbling about all this electrickery that will still be going constantly wrong.

You'll be like many of us, wishing we'd never bought that sooper dooper fully automated thing that's at some sort of garage being repaired constantly, being completely untouchable by home mechs by then, and wishing we still had that poverty spec motor that only needed a spot of oil or WD40 to fix the window winders or door locks.

'' i remember when it only took the fitter an hour to change my headlamp bulb, and reset the computer''

Aye, they should've stopped at electronic ignition. All this computer controlled emissions malarkey is a major expensive headache when it goes wrong :-(
eeeeehh, now then, we used to dream of electronic ignition.....
The best we could manage was to wipe t'dizzy cap wi' a piece of cloth...
Turn those fog lights off! - Alby Back
Cloth?.....Cloth?..........

some dry grass were all we 'ad, and a drop of oil nicked from yer ma's sewing machine, and we thought ourselves lucky..........
I am only 26 but have been interested in cars from a young age so before the age of 10, I know the difference between a MK2 Escort and a Datsun 120Y (these were very common even in the early 90's).

I remember when my old friend got his 1990 G reg Fiesta back in 2001, I asked him where is the dizzy was, he explained it didn't have one, I knew modern cars at the time had electronic ignitions but I was amazed his 11 year old banger had one.

I think electronic ignitions are brilliant, so much more reliable than a dizzy cap, but my poverty spec car does have a fairly modern ECU system with all the problems that go with multipoint injection systems. I still think I would rather have an electronic fuel delivery system than the crude carberators we used to have, and of course carbs would need constant adjusting.

My dad has the Ghia and it is a world away from my car in terms of spec as I mentioned above.

If modern cars get too complicated though I can see myself being one of these people that has a 30 year old car just because its easy to repair.

I do believe with the advance of fuel cell technologies in the future all we will need to worry about is batteries and motors and we will laugh about how complicated 2000 era cars were.
We used to DREAM of 'avin' an Escort Popular Plus! :)

I had two ~ 1.1 Daytona Yellow followed by 1.3 Signal Yellow.

Edited by L'escargot on 22/12/2008 at 07:06