Unfinished building on the A40 - pvmw
This is almost motoring related - at least, I was driving along the road when the question arose.....

Several times a year I venture west of Oxford on the A40, and last weekend was one such occasion. For the last few years I have noticed on side of the road just by the Windrush turning and not far from Sherborne a substantially large unfinished building,

It is surrounded by chainlink fencing and appears to be structurally complete - but is
missing about half of the windows, some bits of roof and is situated in a derelict building site.

I know curiousity is said to kill cats, but I can't help but wonder at the story behind it. I'm guessing it was intended to be a hotel or something - I can't believe it was ever intended to be a private house so close to a main road - and that the dveloper went bust, but as I say it is substantially complete and must represent a major capital investment for someone.

Anyone out there know the story behind it and able to satisfy my curiousity. Every year when I pass I expect to see that something has hppened to it - but nothing ever does!!
Unfinished building on the A40 - Martin Devon
There is something remarkably similar to this on the way up to Witney approaching from the West. Road details escape me.

MD
Unfinished building on the A40 - SpamCan61 {P}
I've no idea what it is, but is this the building?

tinyurl.com/55gsds

should be a link to a maps.live.com image
Google is our friend:-

www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/content/articles/200...l
Unfinished building on the A40 - pvmw
well done, thats exactly the place - it hadn't occurred to me to search for it, but then I wouldn't have known what to search for.

The article doesn't exactly say why it never got finished - presumably the developers went bust, but you'd think someone would take it on.
Unfinished building on the A40 - NowWheels
www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/content/articles/200...l

What a lazy journalist. The report doesn't say who the owner or developer is and why the building was abandoned.
Yes indeed; if I can find the time and energy I'll see if I can find the original planning application on the appropriate council website, then Google the individual / company names on there.
Unfinished building on the A40 - boxsterboy
I would like to know what that building by the M25 opposite T5 is - to the south-west of the M25/M4 junction?

It is roughly triangular in plan with a curved roof and a spiral tower thing with red lights on the warn aircraft using Heathrow. A mate works at T5 and keeps forgetting to ask anyone there who might know.
Unfinished building on the A40 - Steve Pearce
It's an incinerator located in Colnbrook. A mate at work went past it for months thinking it was T5 and eventually commented on the fact it was on the wrong side of the M25, so how do the planes get there? He hadn't noticed the much larger building on the other side somehow!
Unfinished building on the A40 - boxsterboy
Thanks.

Lovely - more emissions to add to those from the planes at Heathrow!! (I know - its got to go somewhere)
Unfinished building on the A40 - Altea Ego
but why does it have a toast rack / cd rack style chimney?
Unfinished building on the A40 - Stargazer {P}
Re the building on the A40, looks like Globetex Properties bought an unfinished development to provide a filling station and 46 room hotel and restaurant. They then succeeded in 2004 in changing the planning permission and continued the build..., since then nothing. The company may have been dissolved according to the company register.
but why does it have a toast rack / cd rack style chimney?

From another site: "The chimney stack is adorned with rings designed to reduce turbulence that could otherwise be a hindrance to aircraft. "
Unfinished building on the A40 - Altea Ego
>> but why does it have a toast rack / cd rack style chimney?
From another site: "The chimney stack is adorned with rings designed to reduce turbulence that
could otherwise be a hindrance to aircraft. "

Thanks that's answered something tha'ts been bothering me for a while..

Can they answer this tho, Why did they build a chimney close into a major airport flight path?
Lovely - more emissions to add to those from the planes at Heathrow!! (I know
- its got to go somewhere)

Even worse, it's clinical waste they are burning, including radioactive material.