£4000 family car? - horsepower
I currently have a 2001 xsara, which I as driver adore, and is pretty much the right size for us, but the kids hate (feel sick in the back). It has done 150,000 miles, but is now starting to need some repairs.
So, what can I replace it with, for around £4000 - to £5000 at a push. Must be diesel, preferably hatchback. Dont care about the badge. daily commutes, family holidays.

I am currently looking at Mondeo's but I'm worried they might be a bit too large? Also considered Mazda 6, but there aren't many around here (north east yorks).
£4000 family car? - Avant
Something with stiffer suspension - a Focus perhaps, or an Octavia if you'd like more room for children and luggage.
£4000 family car? - maz64
If you think a Mondeo is too big, how about a Focus estate? We've got a 2001 mk1 2.0 (petrol) Ghia, the first estate I've owned, and I think it's great; better to drive than the 200bhp Leon TFSI FR that preceded it. Haven't driven a Ford diesel, although the TDCIs usually get good reports.

The estate configuration is handy - we wanted something that was easy to get the dog in its cage into, and it's ideal for trips to the dump, carrying a bike, holding a week's shopping etc. But it doesn't feel 'big' to drive.

Don't know what £4k would get you at the moment - I paid that for ours just over a year ago. It's got low-ish miles, but I'm rubbish at haggling.

F

Edited by Focus {P} on 12/12/2008 at 22:48

£4000 family car? - smokescreen
The Octavia is certainly worth a look at - its deemed as a undesirable car by most of joe public, and thanks to that, prices for them are dropping like stones. It is essentially a MK4 Golf under a Skoda badge.

A well looked after 54 plate VRS petrol, can be had for £4,400 before haggling, and diesels can be had for around the same price.

Edited by smokescreen on 12/12/2008 at 22:53

thanks for the suggestions - I'd dismissed the focus as too small, but it might be worth inspecting, and climbing in, one on a forecourt somewhere!

I'd looked at Octavia's, but they seem more expensive than mondeo's around here...
£4000 family car? - maz64
thanks for the suggestions - I'd dismissed the focus as too small

How many of you are there to fit in? How old/big are the kids? If you've got 3 to squeeze into the back and they're not small, then you might be better going for something more Modeo sized than Focus sized. If it's just 2, then I a Focus/Octavia etc. should be fine.
3 kids, 12 - 17 y/o.
Mondeo it is then :)
thank you
£4000 family car? - rtj70
The Vectra estate is pretty spacious. More space (longer wheelbase) than the hatch/saloon. I'd prefer a Mondeo but unbiased.
£4000 family car? - Statistical outlier
I just had a Vectra Estate as a hire car in Germany. I was surprised how poorly the space was used in the boot - there's no wheel arch intrusion as the space is unavailable right up to the window line. I suspect there are cupboards in there or something, but I didn't investigate.

There did seem to be a fair amount of legroom in the back, but I found it difficult to get really comfortable in the front, the seat squabs seemed a little short. Drove well enough though - I had the 1.9 diesel auto. It only had 20 km on it when I got it, and I did about 500. Would do 210 km/h on the autobahn, and was a very quiet cruiser pulling very few revs. Very very unrefined at lower speeds though - lots of NVH.

Overall left me very neutral. I'd look at the Mondeo, the Mazda 6 or the Honda Accord Tourer instead.
£4000 family car? - nick1975
Mondeo, just don't pay too much for one. Should be able to get a 2005 model for your budget.
£4000 family car? - adverse camber
you could of course try a newer xsara. at 150K the rear suspension could be totally worn out.

the mazda diesel has a very poor reputation for total engine failure.
£4000 family car? - gordonbennet
Surprised Humph hasn't chipped in yet, the Signum takes some beating for rear passenger space, but is considerably shorter than the huge Vectra estate, best of both worlds?

The Xsara rear suspension continued on the first Picasso and Berlingo, to me they both seemed a little stiffer at the rear without losing that lovely ride quality.

Pug 406 estate could be a good replacement too.
£4000 family car? - Alby Back
Surprised Humph hasn't chipped in yet the Signum takes some beating.........

Been busy putting my chav lights up outside. Hate the things but am being accused of bah humbug.......Limited it to one string of non-flashing red ones slung under the rain gutters. still looks like a cheap restaurant to me but.......

:-(

Yes, a Signum would be OK. Cheap as frites too now. Only thing I would say as an owner of both models is that a Mondeo is a car not intended to be interesting but is, and a Signum is intended to be interesting but isn't very.
£4000 family car? - M.M
Interesting horsepower in that we are at present looking in the £4000-£4500 range to replace our 1998 TD Xsara. It is our second car but effectively is often used as the first carrying our girls (11 & 13) plus their friends who are often close to adult size. Hence room for three in the rear plus three proper seatbelts is essential. Also I would like the reassurance of ABS which our Xsara lacks plus driver/pass air bags as a min (we have just the drivers one) and side/curtain airbags if possible.

The Xsara is in great nick with a lovely interior (it's the Exclusive model with aircon and 6 CD etc) but it has covered 136k, owes us nothing and needs a fair bit of work to be kept A1 for the next couple of years.

We actually first thought of a C3 HDi just as a second car but soon dismissed that due to the tiny rear space. My wife drives new Astra diesels at work sometimes and wondered about one but we soon found it was hard to get a decent 2004-on model in our budget... we're not that keen on the previous model. Then we looked hard for a diesel Focus around 2003 and in fact are still waiting to test drive one a dealer is p/xing any day. However the same issue applies to the Focus in that the 2004-on models are a big leap forward but unless very high mileage there don't seem to be any in our budget.

We were very attracted to a 2002 Skoda Octavia TDi Estate last weekend but dismissed that on a test drive because its refinement in terms of ride and noise was worse than the Xsara. I did like pretty well every other aspect of that car though and if you are not over sensitive to road/wind noise and like a firm ride it may be the one for you. The TDi engine power delivery was great and the build quality seemed good. I've heard the 2004-on Octavia is a great deal better for ride and bodyshell stiffness so hope to drive one of that model soon... but they are a fair bit over budget. Whoever above said they are available cheap seems to have a different view of pricing... the diesels and estates in particular are holding their prices well.

I think one of the problems here is that the Xsara was a pretty refined car for its class with good comfort and equipment levels. We value ours around £500 and are often dissapointed how little improvement there is for spending almost 10x more!

Hope some of that ramble helps.

David

Edited by M.M on 13/12/2008 at 11:24

£4000 family car? - M.M
Oh I should add our other car is a 2002 Mondeo GhiaX Estate 2.0 petrol. Fuel consumption is heavy on short runs and on very bumpy roads the 17" alloys with 50 profile tyres give a sharp ride (but nothing like as bad as the 2002 Skoda Octavia we tested). Apart from that it is a refined and comfortable roomy car 100% suited to family motoring. Very well equipped too.

David
£4000 family car? - barney100
Volvo saloon, not the V40 but the V70/850/940 size as these is more suit families. The estates are even better but your budget will get you a newer saloon. They take anything you throw at them and last years with a bit of tlc.
£4000 family car? - jase1
This idea will be laughed out of town, but hear me out.

Chevrolet Lacetti Stationwagon.

You can get 18-month-old examples from main dealers for about £4000.

Lots of space, basically Vauxhall mechanicals, nothing too complex and pretty reliable. We have an old version of the Daewoo Nubira, the equivalent car of ten years ago and one thing I can say is that these don't seem to rust too badly.

Cheap as chips, compliant but not bouncy suspension, very roomy inside (I'm a 6'2" fat bloke, and this is the only car I've ever driven where I've had to move the driver's seat *forwards* to get comfortable). A little bit plasticky in places but no worse than the Xsara.

Else, play safe and buy a Mondeo or Vectra. Both represent good VFM.

Edit: drat, didn't notice the diesel stipulation. Never mind.

Edited by jase1 on 13/12/2008 at 17:23

Just seen a diesel Signum 53 plate on Autotrader with 21k miles at £3495. In Darlington by the look of it. Not too far from you. Probably quite good.
Just seen a diesel Signum 53 plate on Autotrader with 21k miles at £3495. In

That sounds pretty good to me unless there's something amiss, very low miles, certainly get a much roomier comfortable car than the smaller siblings and just as economical at a less cost, can you lose?

edit..no lights here either, bah humbug, scrooge lives here and the new 1000w sub should see any carol singers drowned out..;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/12/2008 at 17:40

£4000 family car? - LondonBus
I know I'm going to sound like the loathsome Kirsty from Location, Location, Location - you know where she comes back with a suggestion that's grossly over budget - but have you considered a new shape Toyota Avensis?

A quick look on Autotrader shows that you can get some nice cars, 4 years old for £5000 (yes that's "only" £1k that you actually intend to spend...) - the reviews imply quality/reliability.
When the new shape Avensis is available (see HJ road test link) then I'd even think the current Avensis will get cheaper. But what is suggested is not new - it's now quite dated and in my opinion a bit boring. But that is only my opinion but I didn't get one new in 2007 as a company car even though I would have been better off with a more powerful car with more toys (okay only about £20-30pm).
Sorry, when I said "new shape" I was referring to the Mk 2 Avensis which is currently in run-out at Burnaston. As opposed to the "new new shape" Mk 3 Avensis or the old Mk 1 Avensis.

I should have been clearer.
lots of great tips, thank you. Off to look up that signum now. (have to admit I've never heard of one before likewise that Chevvy.

Test drove a mondeo today '06, 44k, £5000 - totally loved it, but it pulled left heavily, even worse when braking. I'd wondered why it was so cheap - now I know :( They sent it off for wheel alignment, claimed it was fixed, but hardly much better when I re-drove it. Waste of a day :(

Why would an '06 single owner care have had 8 HPI checks done on it? There were no alerts, no accidents/insurance issues reported, only a finance issue which was resolved.

Also sat in a vectra: not impressed; Astra: too small; Avensis: nice but too much money (04, 67k, £6000)

back to the search...
l
£4000 family car? - M.M
Have you read HB's Signum review in the "Signum rambles on..." thread?

I guess the Mondeo has attracted several buyers who have pulled out at a late stage... after finding that pull on the test drive??

I've had a look at that Darlington Signum on the website. Something odd in that it is about the lowest price diesel in the country yet with the lowest mileage by a mile. It should be more money really... unless it's that dreadful combination of dark red metallic with beige interior. My dad has a Focus Ghia in those colours and it looks the least desireable Focus I've seen.

David
that signum is certainly a good price, but whats with that 3rd rear seat? it might do clever things, but it looks darned uncomfy to actually use as a seat. Or are the picture misleading? It looks like no-over 5 y/o could use it!
The middle seat in the Signum is not a seat as such. It can flip over for some sort of storage unit to be fitted. But consider the Signum to be a 4 seater for most uses. If the Vectra is too small in hatch/saloon format the estate is huge - longer wheelbase like the Signum.

But if you did not like the interior of the Vectra from the driver's seat then the Signum is the same.
Interior wise, thats the thing that puts me off Vauxhalls (and nearly all modern cars too) doesn't matter how high up the spec chain you go, the interior especially the dash is gloomy black plastic and acres of it with the obligatory imitation plastic centre surround, and they're FWD.
£4000 family car? - Pugugly
and they're FWD.#

Game On.
"Also sat in a vectra: not impressed"

So you might not like the Vectra based Signum then. From the driver seat they are identical.
£4000 family car? - The Purifier
"Volvo saloon, not the V40 but the V70/850/940 size as these is more suit families. The estates are even better but your budget will get you a newer saloon. They take anything you throw at them and last years with a bit of tlc. "

That would be an S60 then, great car and cheap to buy but petrols expensive to run - if can get the diesel it would be a good choice. Feel very solid and comfortable
£4000 family car? - Avant
I don't think anyone's yet suggested the old-shape Honda Civic - lots of room in thre back for three teenage kids and a flat floor. This is a better bet if rear seat room is a priority - if it's boot space then it's Octavia or Mondeo.
£4000 family car? - Mapmaker
£1k for a 2002 Mondeo. Why spend four times that on something only a couple of years younger.
My FIL has one of these. 52 plate. Really nice car.
well, question now solved for us, at least. After a day trawling around middlesborough/teesside I have paid a deposit on......

a Saab!

A mitsubishi/honda dealership was having a sale, claimed to be clearing out stock to make space for a change in franshise, so I will be getting a Saab 9-5 linear , 2.2 TiD, estate, 04 reg, 66K, FSH, leather seats, years MOT and new front tyres, £5000.
Acres of leg room in teh back, room for a football match in teh boot, roof rails, VERY comfy, lovely to drive.

Nearly bought an 04 x-trail, 44k, for similar money, but can't really justify running it on day to day basis.

thank you all for your suggestions :)
£4000 family car? - Westpig
hp,

hope you enjoy it

you do realise that there will now be a queue of people on here stating you could have got it:
-cheaper,
-with more kit on it,
-there's one around the corner from me with lower mileage
-my neighbour's grandson's friend's father's employee is selling one
-make sure you change the oil every 1500 miles because that model......

etc, etc...:-)
£4000 family car? - Pugugly
Nice car - what colour - they have an ageless class about them Saabs.
Nice car Horsepower. Just the ticket.
Nice car - what colour - they have an ageless class about them Saabs.

Silver - it does look classy - not that that influenced me of course. It was purely a practical, hard-headed decision ;)