Secondhand Pug - SjB {P}
If you were in an auction for a mechanically very fit 1994 (M) Peugeot 306 SR 1.8 Sedan with certified 15k miles, rust free bodywork that just needs a good polish, and mint interior with everything working, what would you bid, please?

I have the chance to buy this very car, which according to Parkers tops at about £2200-£2300, but due to the amount of interest it has generated, the owner (read executor of estate) has decided to do a sealed bids auction.

Given that at this sort of age, condition is more important than mileage, I would appreciate any sage words of advice before I get carried away, please!

Cheers,
Steve
Secondhand Pug - dave18
2000 miles a year?
Short run?
Otherwise looks good but I'd guess don't pay extra for the tiny mileage.
Secondhand Pug - SjB {P}
Hi Dave,

I bought it for the missus last night, as it happens, my bid (marginally over normal top book) having been successful.
I've just got to wait for my funds to clear the solicitor's account now, before we can take ownership.

Luckily (part of my reasoning as to why the low mileage might not be an issue), the couple who owned it lived in the same small village as my parents, and I guess that most journeys will have been to drive in to town, like my parents, and thus more than far enough to warm everything through properly, and 'use' all the controls. Thankfully, it should not therefore have had a diet of short runs. Most of the time has, however, been spent sitting in the garage waiting for use, hence the low mileage and a recent new (good quality, as it happens!) battery.

Insurance was good value, too, especially given that the 1.8 306's are reasonably lively, if no hot hatch.

My 29 year old wife has zero no claims, having never owned a car before and only having passed her UK test in January.

Fully comprehensive, in her name, with Direct Line, £385 and £150 excess.

Rather less than the two grand for a six year old Pug 406 GLX I looked at buying for her a few weeks back!

/Steve
Secondhand Pug - dave18
Glad you are happy with it - they are good cars.
Insurance is an issue for me: the 309 in my own name would cost £2500 and its only a 1.4! I do have 3 points though.