03 2.0 130 starter turns but engine won't catch - stella.a
Hi Gents and any ladies

My 53 reg car won't start. The starter motor spins and sounds horrible but the engine does not turn over.
For the previous couple of days or so there has been a vibration coming back through the clutch pedal at around 1000 Rpm and there has also been the occasional noise coming from the engine bay that can best be described as violent pinking. Took the kids to school this morning and when I went back to the car it would not start. Spent the next 3 hours waiting for the AA man to come along. When he arrived he listened to the starter motor and said something about the flywheel falling off. Was eventually brought home on the back of a lorry.
I have searched the forum so I have a fair idea what it may be but would apprecite some input fom the assembled masses. A bill in excess of £1k I can do without right now.
Thanks

Edited by Pugugly on 12/12/2008 at 22:03

03 2.0 130 Zetec s Starter turns but engine won't - andyp
Sorry, but it sounds horribly like the dreaded dual mass flywheel failure has struck again, think you are looking about £1000 to put it right !
03 2.0 130 Zetec s Starter turns but engine won't - stella.a
That's not what I wanted to hear, but thought thats what the problem was. Oh well
03 2.0 130 Zetec s Starter turns but engine won't - Simon
The only way to find out exactly what the fault is and how much it is going to cost is to get it to a garage for a proper diagnosis of what has gone wrong. Its going to have to be fixed regardless.
03 2.0 130 Zetec s Starter turns but engine won't - Collos25
Take the starter motor off and look at the bendix to see if its damaged and try the starter to see if its working.Often the problem is with the starter and not the flywheel.
03 2.0 130 Zetec s Starter turns but engine won't - stella.a
Had some quotes today: If it is just the starter motor then £267. If it is the lot then £1100. Tis off in on Monday for a proper diagnosis.