1994 2.0 Overheating, over revving, and no power - theloxleycountryclub
Symptoms:
For a month or so my 1995 Nissan Primera 2000cc (model P1) heater has been very slow to warm up even though the engine temperature reaches normal in the usual time. It's winter and so this was a pain but still the car got me the six miles to work and back so what the heck... Also, the engine revs at idle have remained high (1500) for longer than usual. I put this down to the cold spell and the automatic choke remaining on for longer.

On my way home last night, however, the temperature gauge didn't move at all for three miles, then rose to just below the red, and eventually into the red. At the same time, I noticed a loss of power steering and that the engine was reaching revs of 2500.

I got home safe and checked the exhaust. No steam was evident at the exhaust pipe and when I lifted the bonnet (hood) the cylinder head looked ok. The expansion bottle was boiling, though there appeared to be no loss of water from the system.

I turned the engine over and it started straightaway. The engine revs were at a constant alarming 3000.

Any ideas fellahs?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/12/2008 at 00:36

1994 2000 Overheating, over revving, and no power - Altea Ego
blown head gasket
1994 2000 Overheating, over revving, and no power - theloxleycountryclub
I thought about the head gasket but there's no loss of engine power and no steam from the exhaust. There's no bubbling or any evidence of leaking from the gasket.
It's a P10, by the way - not P1 as I mistakenly said earlier.
1994 2000 Overheating, over revving, and no power - dieselnut
'the temperature gauge didn't move at all for three miles, then rose to just below the red, and eventually into the red. At the same time, I noticed a loss of power steering '

Just a thought, but does the power steering pump & water pump share the same drive belt. If so perhaps it's loose & slipping.
According to Haynes, on 2 litre models, there are two auxiliary drivebelts ('v' belts): one drives the alternator and (where fitted) the air conditioning compressor. The other drives the water pump and the power steering pump.

My cars' symptoms point towards the water pump drive belt having failed, doesn't it? This would explain the rise in temperature and the loss of power steering.

But, would this cause a constant rise in engine revs to 3000 rpm?
1994 2000 Overheating, over revving, and no power - dieselnut
" But, would this cause a constant rise in engine revs to 3000 rpm? "

Possibly not, but you need to get the engine running at its normal temperature before you try looking for other problems.
It's time to lift the bonnet, check the pump belt tension & coolant level.
Just looked. The water pump and power steering 'v' shaped drive-belt is snapped. It's situated on the left side of the engine block if you are facing the engine compartment. The separate alternator and aircon belt seems ok.

It looks like this is a repair best done from underneath the car. So, it's a ramp and axle stand job. I'll get this done and, providing I've any knuckles and patience left, see if it also fixes the over revving issue.

Either way, I'll post the results for the benefit of others.

Thanks to all repliers, especially dieselnut.

Edited by theloxleycountryclub on 09/12/2008 at 15:44

Ok. Here's an update on my repair.

When I checked the broken belt, it appeared to have snapped rather than worn out. Also, the belt seems very strong, reinforced with wire, and it wouldn't surprise me if one of these belts lasted the life of the car.

I sought advice from an established Nissan dealer and was told to check the water pump.

Good advice, indeed. The pump was seized and not turning. This would explain a few of the symptoms that I had experienced before the catastrophic failure of the belt (see earlier posts) as the impeller had probably been sticking and lethargic.

I will now source the pump and get back to you later.