What price salt on bus routes? + photo - captions? - oilrag
7am, this morning..

tinyurl.com/6ebstv

There is a sharp bend behind me, as I took this shot, with tyre marks right across the pavement just missing a garden wall. Can you see the frost and ice...

Anyway, this is a test of my new Ubuntu set-up on the laptop - using Fireftp (thanks to Baskeville) and a new Samsung G600 mobile phone for the photo.

1) Comment on the topic header and first paragraph?
2) Do you like photo posts - is it worth it?
3) What do you think of the linux + phone for these pictorial enhancements to my posts - OK?

4) Caption?

Regards to all
oilrag
What price salt on bus routes? + photo - captions? - Dwight Van Driver
0 out of 5

dvd
fair enough.. I`ll delete the pic...
What price salt on bus routes? + photo - captions? - FotheringtonThomas
1) Topic header... no understandee.

2) Sometimes.

3) The O/S doesn't really enter into it - the results do. Perhaps a mid range clicky P&S camera would be rather better than a mobile 'phone camera.

4) Reverse at Warp Factor 2

It does look as if the bus is going backwards....
yeah, I should have explained more - sorry

7am, Frost and ice on the road, hardly able to walk to the other side. I had just crossed over and bus type tyre tracks were clearly right on the pavement on a corner behind me, where it had seemingly moved out to pass a parked car and just carried on across the grass verge and onto the pavement itself..

Then the bus in the picture came down the hill in the opposite direction at what seemed like normal speed..
You feel your heart in your mouth for a moment.. because if it comes across - there`s no where to get out of the way due to the wall and high hedge.

The slightest hint of frost in previous years and this bus route was salted...

Edited by oilrag on 09/12/2008 at 15:15

What price salt on bus routes? + photo - captions? - FotheringtonThomas
Then the bus in the picture came down the hill in the opposite direction at
what seemed like normal speed..
You feel your heart in your mouth for a moment.. because if it comes across
- there`s no where to get out of the way due to the wall and
high hedge.

I had that experience sitting on the grassy verge next to a horizontal motorbike with a bus coming towards me... oh, alright, it was an Ovlov, but "same difference". Black ice. Yikes.
What price salt on bus routes? + photo - captions? - Paul G1pdc
i work in the middle of the countryside, in a converted cow shed....
the road outside the building has drainage ditches on each side, as of 2pm today theres an upside down alfa in said ditch. and 1 mile further up the road a bus hit a parked audi TT after failing to make it round a bend with ice on it....
oh the joys of winter motoring and hit and miss gritting....
paul.
What price salt on bus routes? + photo - captions? - whoopwhoop
The problem isn't the lack of salt, it's the lack of intelligence in drivers.

As the OP rightly says, it's obvious that road is frosty, thus likely to be slippy. But in the typical "someone else must be responsible" culture that we live in, many drivers carry on at normal speed and assume the road will be gritted....

...then blame the hit and miss gritting when they end up giving the nearest telegraph pole the good news.
Plus this thread was a first `systems test` for me.

1)First time i`ve carried a camera phone
2) first time to manage a Bluetooth file transfer, followed by a wireless upload on a Linux system.

I was impressed with the phone really. It was virtually dark outside the street lights and when I saw the bus come around the top corner in the photo - it took me around 7 seconds to get the phone from my pocket and take the shot.
As i composed it - I was aware of panning options, but chose to show the ice and let the bus blur - that being preferable to seeing no ice and identifying detail of the bus and its driver.

Sure, a downgrade in image quality from my regular camera - but i`m looking forward to getting photos of things now on my regular day to day travels, at 7 seconds notice. + no one has mentioned me needing to resize the image.
;)
Does anyone else use a camera phone for this purpose - to catch the moment as it happens?
What price salt on bus routes? + photo - captions? - billy25
Er! Caption?

Ali G gets on the bus, and as he's the only passenger angrily asks driver why he's going so slow?

"is it because Ice Black?"
What price salt on bus routes? + photo - captions? - Chris S
Looks like the bus is going backwards!
What price salt on bus routes? + photo - captions? - redviper
Sure a downgrade in image quality from my regular camera - but i`m looking forward
to getting photos of things now on my regular day to day travels at 7
seconds notice. + no one has mentioned me needing to resize the image.
;)
Does anyone else use a camera phone for this purpose - to catch the moment
as it happens?

Yes, i find it really handy as I carry my phone with me most of the time its there ready to take a picture of something that I think will be usefull to show family/friends, the quality is acceptable and is good enough for the purpose.

If i want to take good quality photo's of something then I use my normal camera, but for something that i can take when the moment arises my camera phone is ready, i can easily upload via bluetooth to my PC to email/edit or i can send directly via email/mms from my phone, i never thought i would say that a camera enabled mobile phone would ever be usefull but I find they are :-).

Redviper - Prev "Redlightzone"

Edited by redviper on 10/12/2008 at 14:51

What price salt on bus routes? + photo - captions? - Lud
I like the pic oilrag. Grainy and blurred are good when they aren't bad.

Even hoar-frost on a dry road can be very slippery. But remembering the photo of you pulling a rickshaw, I feel you would have managed to step over that wall quite smartly if the bus had had a go at you, even if that is a thick Leylandii hedge just behind it...
What price salt on bus routes? + photo - captions? - billy25
Pssst! Lud, to be perfectly P.C, I think it's "Mentally Challenged" these days!
;)
I`m deleting the pic shortly, to make room for others.