Very reliable and fun for £7k - Tall Steve
I'm in the position of wanting to change cars fairly soon, and have a budget of about 7K (px of about 2.5K). I'm looking for something ideally newer than my current car (2000) and that is V.reliable and is fun to drive. If it could get about 40MPG that would be great too!

Current thoughts were the Fabia VRS (or Seat Ibiza FR), Fiat 100hp or maybe Toyota Yaris T sport. Have driven a 2006 plate VRS and thought it was great, punchy engine, good ride and seemed well built. Also drove the 100hp and was suprised at how good the build appeared to be (I wasn't expecting much!) and the ride (often complained about) wasn't too bad.

V.nearly went for the VRS I drove (although more money than I wanted to spend) but thought I'd check out the forum and was astounded at the level of problems for what I thought was a v.reliable car, and not just niggly ones (leaky door seals a prime example). I know a forum magnifies the grumbles of a car but nonetheless I had my confidence shaken and it's not quite recovered.

Haven't driven the toyota, but did used to own an Ignis sport which is v.similar in power / size. Obviously Toyotas have a great reliability reputation - but I'm now suspicious of these JD Power type claims!

Any thoughts? Missing candidates? Suggestions or deals to check out?

Sorry for the rambling 1st post!

Steven

Edited by Pugugly on 06/12/2008 at 22:24

Very reliable and fun for £7k - Avant
I would have thought that surveys like JD Power, though not perfect, are a more reliable indicator of satisfaction with a car than the forums which are bound to reflect queries and problems. I've had three excellent VAG cars and have never gone on a VW or Audi forum - never needed to.

There are surely many more happy Fabia owners than unhappy; ditto Yaris, though Fiat owners are more evenly divided (partly because of some truly awful Fiat dealers).

Fabia v. Yaris: horses for courses. The Fabia is quite a bit bigger than the Yaris and the vRS is only available as a diesel (albeit a good strong one, all 130 bhp of it). If you go for a Yaris, get the 1.3 petrol or 1.4 diesel - both are lively and good to drive.
Very reliable and fun for £7k - Alby Back
I think, from your shortlist, that I'd most want to like the Fiat. It just looks fun. Can't like the Yaris for some reason. I suspect I'd buy the Skoda though. Not sure why.

Nah...the FIAT 100hp !!
Very reliable and fun for £7k - bathtub tom
I think a major consideration would be ease of servicing.

My nearest Fiat dealer is nearly twenty miles away.

I used to deride my father-in-law for buying whatever brand of car the garage down the road happened to be currently a franchise for. Nowadays, it's a concern.

Am I getting old?
Very reliable and fun for £7k - Tall Steve
I'm quite lucky in so much as I have a Skoda and Fiat and Toyota all within 2-4 miles of where I live - so all (theoretically at least!) would be able to get serviced "down the road" - assuming that the dealers were any good that is!

Interesting (and probably very true) comment about the JD Power / general concensus on cars. My girlfriend and my mate from Uni both have VAG cars and have had nothing major go wrong - and I've had a very reliable Citroen back in 2001-2002, so I guess it's just an element of pot luck.

R.E. Comment about the toyotas, are the 1.5 units not as well regarded as the 1.3's or D4-D's?
Very reliable and fun for £7k - jase1
You're after a smaller car right?

Just the initial thought I'd had was the Hyundai Coupe. Bargains around, very reliable and a decent chassis to go with the sports-car looks. Maybe a bit high on the insurance with the 2l engine.
Very reliable and fun for £7k - Avant
"Re: Comment about the Toyotas, are the 1.5 units not as well regarded as the 1.3's or D4-D's?"

Sorry - I haven't tried a 1.5 but I've no reason to believe there's anything wrong with it. Not sure how long it has been available.
Very reliable and fun for £7k - woodster
Get into a Golf GT TDi for that money if you were shopping privately.
Very reliable and fun for £7k - nick1975
Mini
Very reliable and fun for £7k - Roger Jones
With a used car out of warranty I'd be more concerned about the availability of good independent servicing than proximity of main dealers. That's with long-term ownership in mind and being unconcerned about the reputed value of dealer stamps on resale, in which Joe Public does of course have a touching faith. If you are getting something a bit special and will look after it well, chances are that the next purchaser may see through the main-dealer servicing myth anyway. With a good independent, you'll get better work for half the price.

As for choice, I'd go Seat or Skoda, and offer a wry smile to anyone who looks down on those badges. The ride in VAG cars may be firm, but is there any East Asian car whose ride isn't harsh? I shall never forget how impressive the ride and road handling of an Octavia taxi was over the Cretan mounatins a few years ago.

Edited by Roger Jones on 07/12/2008 at 18:09

Very reliable and fun for £7k - john96
Go for 100HP, and ENJOY!
Very reliable and fun for £7k - retgwte
FIAT PANDA 1.4 16v 100HP 5dr BRAND NEW are available for 6995

Very reliable and fun for £7k - P3t3r
I like the Panda 100HP (and want to buy one), and you get a lot for you money such as climate control, and a 6 speed gearbox. There are also some places that sell a brand new ones for £7k, although if you have any extras or any colour other than white then it will cost a bit more.