03 2.0 fuel consumption - bigmennie
hi my car is a 2003 130 tdci the fuel consumption is crap basically the computer on average is saying iam doing about 28 mpg on average which is crap and can only get 46 mpg on motorway doing 70 in 6th gear i had the egr valve done recently at ford and since that has been done the fuel consumption has gone down the cooling fan comes on when car is cold and the temp gauge sits half way all the time whereas before it sat near the bottom like it was not hot thanks

p.s and no it isent leaking diesal or smells like its burning it i dont fill up my tank full often so i work by how much miles i get to a tenner i usually get 50 miles out of a tenner this is town drivinf by the way
03 2.0 fuel consumption - Peter.N.
Are you getting any black smoke from the exhaust, probably only noticable in the headlights of a following car?
yes when accelrating but all diesals do that thats why i changed the egr valve before as it was smoking really bad so i changed it and that sorted it but after that was done i have had decreased fuel economy and the fan somtimes kicks in when it is cold and the temp guage sits halfway whereas before it did not
03 2.0 fuel consumption - spikeyhead {p}
You may well have a faulty temperature sensor.

The other possibility is a split intercooler hose.

Take teh engine cover off, its its covered in soot then its the hose.
03 2.0 fuel consumption - TurboD
FWIW, my (petrol) 2l temp gauge sits in the middle - always. Builds up to that within three miles too.
The mpg of mine on motorway at 70 is never more than 39- so you are still winning, on that score, but I'll stick with my silent ,smooooth Duratec.
Must be temp sensor, or the thermostat?
hi i took it to ford and they cannot find anything so they say it is down to the cold weather i dont believe it but i dont now would it reALLY MAKE it 10 mpg worse can anyone tell me
03 2.0 fuel consumption - rtj70
"yes when accelrating but all diesals do that"

Not anymore....
right if you sit behind any modern diesal and they put there foot down guaranteed some smoke will come out the back and thats all mine does under heavy acceleration not light
03 2.0 fuel consumption - rtj70
Some will come out (and lots on my 2003 Mondeo when it had a failing EGR) but little smoke comes out of a modern diesel because it is not allowed. Instead the DPF captures it and burns off during regeneration.

Well that's how DPFs are meant to work.