What to buy? - neenaw
I'm looking for a new car at the moment but can't decide what to buy. I need something reasonably cheap and economical. Ive got about £3.5k to spend and am currently looking at a 306 hdi estate on an 02 plate.
Any suggestions as to other vehicles?
What to buy? - niceguyeddy
I always liked the VW Golf TDi Estates.

Range from 90bhp to 130bhp.

Good build quality, nice ride, ok load space.

For £3500 to £4000 you should find a sub 100k SE 100 or 130 TDi
What to buy? - hcm
Hope you don't mind me commenting on your idea of a 306hdi estate.

I had one and in many ways it was an ok car. However the ride was poor, the bodywork flimsy and easily scratched. The space wasn't great, it rattled and I didn't miss it when it went. Good engine though.

I'd go for a Focus or Golf.
What to buy? - neenaw
I never thought about the Golf. I'll have to look around and see what's about. I quite like the look of the Bora but they all seem to have huge mileage on them.
What to buy? - Andrew-T
>I'm looking for a new car ...

I thought you meant a New Car, not one at least 6 years old :-) No personal experience of the estates, but I have had three 306 diesel hatches, all good to drive. My present car is a 99T HDi and it doesn't rattle - but the estate body may I suppose. As with any older car you will need to check its credentials carefully.
What to buy? - Alanovich
Think about a Fiat Stilo Multiwagon (estate) 1.9 JTD. I've currently got one and it does 500 miles to a tank of fuel, and that's almost 100% around town. Only group 4 or 5 insurance too. Mine's very well screwed together, a very solid feeling car with plenty of oomph. Very comfy too. They are pretty cheap to buy, but if you go to look at one make sure you check all the electrics as this is their weak point.

Mine is an 05 plate and cost me 4.5k earlier this year with only 27000 miles on it, from a main dealer under the full Fiat approved used scheme. Full year's warranty, the works.

The engine is superb - it is also used on Saabs, Vauxhalls and Alfas I believe.
What to buy? - Mapmaker
I'd have thought that you'd be wiser looking at spending about £1,000-£1,500 on a 2001 100k example. (That's a lot of money saved for virtually the same motor, isn't it?)
What to buy? - Paul G1pdc
I was given a notice of redundancy 3 weeks ago, and found a job within 1 week, so was very lucky, (engineering jobs) but I used to run to work..(yep we had showers) and with the new job 17miles away...and no showers, had to buy a car, for a budget of up to 4k
my journey is 12miles A road, and 5 miles on what is best called un-classed road,,,weeds growing in the middle and mud and err...cow deposits at the side...
i bought a impreza 2.0 GX estate, there are loads about, people scared by the emissions and mpg, but i'll only be traveling 10k a year and it makes a good buy, I paid 4k from a dealer and bought a car with 29,000 on the clock with full subaru dealer. The car was regisitered april '03
I've had pugs in the past (205 and 306) and yep they handle really well, but water leaks inside the car, and radiator hoses on the 306 where all common faults.
oh I get 32mpg from the subaru. (and no I don't have a backward baseball cap, I'm 38 and have 2 young boys and a wife to carry around)
paul
tyres. just checked today the standard 195s cost 44-76 depending upon brand.
What to buy? - neenaw
What are the Diesel Focus' like?
Do they return good mpg?
Reliable?

What to buy? - hcm
See:

tinyurl.com/5h2xm9

Plus a huge amount on them if you do a forum search on this site.