£4k family hatch - Focus or something else? - M.M
The good lady is looking to change the Xsara TD that has served us well for 18mths. About £4k to spend trade, private or auction.

Wishes...

5dr hatch
ABS
Aircon
2 airbags min
Quickclear screen
Outside temp gauge
Remote stereo stalk
CD player
Split fold rear seats

Not sure about petrol or diesel.

Focus seems the obvious choice after the Mondeo III Ghia I bought earlier this year turned out to be so good. Any thoughts appreciated.

David
£4k family hatch - Focus or something else? - Happy Blue!
Requirement for Quickclear screen puts the Focus on a shortlist of one.

It doesn't matter as they are good cars.
£4k family hatch - Focus or something else? - pmh2
I assume that the Xsara is the one that you bought 'for the price of a telly, with just over 100K' a few years ago. If it is going to be on the market at a similar price can you please let me know. Assuming a reasonable MoT and cambelt history I may well be interested.

peter (ex BX owner, sourced via you!)
£4k family hatch - Focus or something else? - L'escargot
I recommend a 2 litre petrol Focus Ghia/Titanium.

Edited by L'escargot on 03/12/2008 at 09:47

£4k family hatch - Focus or something else? - Paul Robinson
Hi David

Quickclear screen will limit your choice, have you read this?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=69640&...e

My 2000 Mondeo Zetec didn't have an outside temp gauge and when I moaned about it, people said lots of ordinary (ie not Ghia) Fords don't - so check the spec carefully.

Regards

Paul
£4k family hatch - Focus or something else? - L'escargot
Quickclear screen will limit your choice have you read this?
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=69640&...e

The ability of a Quickclear screen to defrost is not its only virtue. The main reason I like them is for their rapid demisting ability.
Thanks guys.

Peter I think you're thinking of the ZX before it that was the price of a TV... the Xsara was about the cost of two TVs! It has done about 134k now and has a good history but a few jobs waiting and as my workshop is now used to store other things, plus I have a real lack of time, has made me wonder of changing. I have just put it in for an MOT and it failed on washers (needs a pump), frayed pass seat belt and low front pads. Add to that two front tyres needed, ideally discs needed with pads, a timing belt due within 10k plus a service now... well you get the picture. At local garage prices it will cost what it is worth to do hence the thought to change.

A quickclear screen is not essential but I've found the Mondeo one a real benefit... for condensation too as mentioned.

I thought the 2lit Focus petrol was a bit heavy on fuel?? I turned down a mint 2lit Ghia model earlier this year with leather and aircon because of that understanding.

Hello Paul, hope things are OK with you.

David
Peter just thought I'd do a forum search.... you have a top memory... here is my comment from Nov 2002......

We've just bought a one pensioner owner, 9yr old ZX TD for SWMBO for the price of a telly, with just over 100K recorded no reason why that shouldn't go round the same again. The "electronics free" diesels keep going on and on....

When a swap allowed me to pass on my Xantia TD to the good lady we sold that ZX to a friend. He ended up scrapping it when the rear axle beam bearings went. The engine/transmission were still perfect.

David
£4k family hatch - Focus or something else? - pmh2
Not a top memory, just the same as you, - a forum search!

p