New X Type Immediate delivery UK - matt35 {P}
A note of caution to anyone importing a car from Europe - check the details!!!
I drove a friend to Harwich on Saturday to collect a new X Type imported from Holland.
New quartz metallic, dove leather interior,CD player,10 way seats with lumbar support,reversing sensor,full size spare wheel,fitted carpets,folding mirrors,inclination alarm,first aid kit,warning triangle,locking wheel nuts,5 speed gearbox.
He thought he had ordered an Automatic!!!
12 miles on the clock and about 45 more when he drives it to his home tomorrow -he intends to sell it and has re-ordered an Auto.
Anyone in a hurry at an import price???
Maybe this should be posted under classified ads - but there is a message here for anyone importing from Europe.

Matt35
New X Type Immediate delivery UK - TrevorP
Matt -

you obviously do not sell a lot of cars.

2 things missing from posting - Model and asking price.
Trevor,
I only ever sold one car - always had company cars until the Jag.
The car is X Type 2.5SE Four wheel drive - as I am not into trading cars I will put anyone interested in direct contact with the owner.
Turns out his son ordered the car, dealer sent a quote which included some items not wanted - such as the Leaper on the bonnet for the US market - he deleted these things and assumed dealer would order with Auto - he did not, and no one examined the documents carefully enough to spot the error.
To later post - the inclination sensor is to set off the alarm if, for example,someone is jacking the car up to steal the wheels.
Regards,
Matt35.
PS to Trevor - X has two tyre pressure settings - 30/30 under 160km/hour(Comfort) and 38front/35rear over 160km/hour (Normal).
Comfort and Normal quoted from handbook. Have you suggestion for first drive with HPC?
go for Comfort -

the underlying philosophy is "slow in - fast out", so maybe MORE slowing than you normally do, followed by MORE acceleration than you normally do.

This MAY well include use of Manual selection (perhaps on the basis that kick-down is not the smoothest way?)

What can I tell you?

When giving demos in autos, I

1) Do not use Neutral.

2) Use Manaul downshift for anticipated hazards (my favourite is taking SECOND in 30 just before steep downhill - braindead driving being descending in D, braking, and STILL doing 40)
Trevor,
Thanks for advice re tyres -I do not quite get your comment re not using Neutral....I was told to use N as opposed to P when parking short term as it saved going through R to get to D?
I use the J box as you do - had great pleasure recently ( I think I posted on this) with an over 70 year old on Observer job...made him use the box instead of the brakes on a twisty road and noticed the big smile on his face when he felt the two tons of metal under his ++++ flow....Mocked and in for test!
Regards,
Matt35.
PS - Trevor - I never go into Neutral at traffic lights
or short stops - your meaning?
Regards,
Matt35
Exactly.

We have another X- type owner saying use higher tyre pressures.

Now, you guys OWN the vehicles, I have only driven them for a short time, so what FEELS good for you.

The point I was (clumsily) trying to make was: if you change 1 variable AND another (let's say how deep you go into a corner before turning), then go back to "normal" tyre pressures, how much of that diffrent "feel" was due to what?

If you are comfy with what the car feels like on the higher pressures, go with that.

Some people LIKE the "tighter" feel of higher pressures - my "toy" car is tight enough.
New X Type Immediate delivery UK - Armitage Shanks{P}
Matt there is a lesson here for all of us! Had he or hadn't he ordered automatic? It would be interesting to know if it is his foul up or the dealer's or perhaps the dealer pulling a fast one! Please keep us posted!
New X Type Immediate delivery UK - THe Growler
What's an inclination alarm? To help you recognise hills or to remind you not to be inclined to do something bad, e.g. pick your nose or make phone calls?
an inclination alarm?

For those not familiar with modern methods of discouraging scroats -

acts when you jack it up.
New X Type Immediate delivery UK - The Watcher
Won't be a dealer foul up I can assure you!

Whenever a dealer sends me a quote for a client, they always list (because I ALWAYS state manual or auto) whether the gearbox is auto or manual.

I can never say this too often to anyone importing a car, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check what you are ordering yourself. It will not be the agent's or dealer's problem if you sign to say the order spec is correct then on delivery, find the car as is but not as you wanted!
Watcher,
Your post exactly confirms the point I was trying to make at the top!
Reminds me of a recent tag line I read on this or another car related BB -'It wasn't me, a big boy did it and ran away'.
Regards,
Matt35.
Sorry, Im not trying to be obtuse or anything but, if your friend used an agent to import, you'll find a condition in the agents T&C's that say the buyer is responsible for checking the order is in accordance with what he \ she wants.

If your friend went direct to the dealer, the same condition probably exists in the sales invoice but if this is in a foreign language, would be difficult to spot. However, all Euro dealers will say the law relevant to the country they are based in, applies.

It is the old story of caveat emptor (sorry if that isnt totally correct!) Your initial advice to check the docs was perfectly correct.

The person who posted it may have been a foul up by the dealer \ pulling a fast one could be right but I very much doubt it.
New X Type Immediate delivery UK - A11DNL
I disagree re tyre pressures. 38/35 gives slightly tauter handling at the cost of only very slightly higher tyre noise. (But any new X-Type on 17in wheels should come with P-Zero Rosso Assimetricos that are reputedly quieter than the previous version).

David
X-Type 3-litre Sport
Evening Watcher,
He checked over the weekend that the order was made direct with the dealer by his son and that details were not checked on confirmation...I think your spelling of Caveat Emptor is correct.
Took him back today to Harwich to collect the car - Stena staff told us that they have about three per week to wrong spec or colour !!!
Very nice people at Harwich Stena - hope they read this.
Anyway, he followed me home today, thinks the manual is great and might just grow to love it - I suggested that it is a bit like your first child, you want a boy, but when you get a girl, after 5 minutes you would never change it (or vice versa for the politcally correct **rse***** who haunt us).
Will try to post conclusion - Question - can a manual be converted to an Auto on an X Type for under £4000/£5000?
Regards,
Matt35
I very much doubt the manual could be converted for under £5k plus, it would probably harm the resale value by far more.

I'll be going DFDS from Harwich to Cruxhaven to pick up the BMW soon. Although I have an invoice confirming the spec is exactly as I requested ie by item, I have told the supplying dealer I want written confirmation the car (which is now in his possession awaiting PDI etc) matches the order invoice ie each item I specified on the car IS on it, before the balance is paid.

As I've said, unfortunately people do not check the documents fully before they sign on the dotted line. However, if the car delivered is NOT to your spec, you should reject the car by contacting the supplying dealer via your agent if appropriate, and ask him what he proposes to do about it.