97 1.8 coolant leak spraying from metal pipe - vwgolfmk3
I have found a coolant leak on my Mk3 Golf Cabriolet 1.8. I had topped up the coolant last weekend after the warning light came on and when it relit on Wednesday after refilling Sunday I was starting to think coolant was leaking into the head gasket. I tested the oil by letting a little drip onto the manifold and it did not sizzle so I was convinced the system was leaking somewhere.
I just got back from a drive to the shop and checked under the bonnet when I got home to see coolant spraying out of a metal pipe in large quantities at high pressure.
I've had the car for less than a month and can't deal with another expensive repair bill after the alternator just went and am hoping there may be a quick fix or simple repair to either fill the small hole in the pipe or replace it for not much cash.

I've included some links to pics and it literally happened half hour ago.

i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr37/smoutyimages/2911...g

The images show the coolant spraying from the metal pipe onto (I think) the starter motor. Does anybody know if there is a quick easy fix for this. My knowledge of cars is a bit limited but if there is a quick fix that will given some time to fix the problem properly that would be great. Any help appreciated. I've read about additives like K Seal which would seal the hole but considering the leak is visible it seems silly to pollute the whole system with an additive.

Does anybody have an idea how much this would cost me to fix at the garage. I would think it would just be a case of replacing the pipe. Does anybody know what the pipe is called so I could see if I could find one down a scrap yard to try and save myself some money.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/11/2008 at 14:20

97 1.8 VW Golf coolant leak spraying from metal p* - yorkiebar
Replace the pipe.

Not even worth attempting any repair.

Not dear new from dealer. last one I replaced was around £ 25 iirc. Lot of money for what it is, but not in the scale of running a car?
97 1.8 VW Golf coolant leak spraying from metal p* - vwgolfmk3
Good to hear. Don't suppose you know what the pipes called. Would it be relatively simple to replace or best left to someone who knows what they're doing?
97 1.8 VW Golf coolant leak spraying from metal p* - yorkiebar
Metal cooling pipe linking the whatsit to the whatsit is probably how I would describe it to a vw partsman.

he will say what engine code.

I will tell him what it is.

he will put some pics on the screen, and say, "This one?"

I say yes or no until he finds the one.

Then I get mugged and go away with it. Actually i normally do it over the phone, but they will be able to sort it if you go in.

Relatively simple to fit. But then so is a head gasket. All depends on your ability/experience/confidence/wallet/need for speed versus learning etc etc. Should be covered in workshop manual?

But probably around 1 hours labour + parts at any garage.
Ok Cool. just had another look and the pipe's connected to three other pipes because one is connected to the header tank so think it'll probaby be beyond my own skills to replace it but if it's only about an hours labour then I think I'll have to send her down the garage again. The garage is about a half mile away from here. Should I top up the coolant, take it gently and keep an eye on the temp gauge on the way there.
Cheers,
97 1.8 VW Golf coolant leak spraying from metal p* - Woodspeed
If you are going to have it done then take off the cap from the coolant bottle. It keeps the pressure lower. In this cool weather turn the heater on full, and drive gently to garage.

It is not hard to do yourself.
1.Drain coolant from cold. This is the large pipe on the bottom of the thermostat which goes to bottom of radiator.
2.Take off the jubilee clips to the rubber pipes on the metal pipe.
3.remove all nuts and bolts that holds metal pipe to brackets
4. replace pipe. Top up coolant bottle and run engine topping up with 50% coolant (green or pink do not intermix)
Just done a Golf 2, and it tok 30 mins.

GSF and Euro car parts about £18
97 1.8 VW Golf coolant leak spraying from metal p* - piston power
As a temporary fix you could remove the pipe cut out the rotten part and fit a sleeve over the two bits with either a rubber hose or a piece of exhaust tube,

This is if the part is not avalible for a few days etc.
Somebody else suggested that but if it means taking the pipe out and removing from brackets etc then it probably makes more sense for me to replace it properly. I was hoping there might be something like Radweld or K-seal that I could apply directly to the hole where it's leaking that would seal it but it doesn't seem like that's the case so I guess I better leave it to someone who knows what they're doing. Anybody know any cheap mechanics in Bristol?
I'd love to have a go myself but I've got to do quite a bit of driving over Xmas and the security of knowing the repair's been done properly is probaby worth more to me despite the fact I can' really afford to have it done. If it'll cost less than £100 at the garage then I guess that's the safest option for me. I've just had to splash out £250 to get the dodgy aftermarket immobiliser replaced with a proper cat 1 immobiliser and alarm and on top of the alternator repair it's been pretty pricey to date.

It sounds like quite a simple job but I doubt I'd have the tools to hand and some of the brackets are quite corroded so would probably take some work for me to get off. I'm justhopin tha when I've got tis done it will be trouble free.
Thanks for your help.
97 1.8 VW Golf coolant leak spraying from metal p* - piston power
If you buy the part and take it to your local garage for them to fit that will work out cheaper for you, they won't make any cash on the part & ask them there labour rate first.
97 1.8 VW Golf coolant leak spraying from metal p* - jc2
That pipe is not going to last much longer whatever you do to it;fit a new one as soon as possible.The cost of a new pipe is much less than a seized engine.A small square of rubber and a hose clip will block it long enough to get to a supplieror even a self-tapper in the hole.