Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - AllFumbs
I know Fords are available with heating-elements in the windscreen; but as I've been looking around for a 'new' secondhand car recently, I've come across several mentions of 'heated screen'. (I'll feel such a chump, though, if the sellers are merely referring to the heated rear screen.) Anyone know of any mass-market car with such a feature? Did I read somewhere that it's available on the Skoda Superb?

(The s/hand cars I'm considering are the aforementioned Superb, Hondas Accord and Legend, Lexus LS400, Toyotas Avensis and Camry, Mitsubishis Galant and newish Colt diesel auto, Nissan QX, Renault Vel Satis and an M-B W124 or the later W210 E220 CDI. Not exactly a shortlist . . . yet.)

Thank you.

AF.
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - Rattle
My dads 1997 (1996 VIN) Fiesta has it! But then it was a Ford invention. It is also an extremely rare car being a Ghia X spec with the humble 1.3 engine.

I believe Ford have the patent on it, so you are more likely to find it in the Ford owned brands, although other brands pay them a royalty to use the system unless they have worked out a way round it.
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - rtj70
Rattle,

The OP starts by saying "I know Fords are available with heating-elements in the windscreen" and then you say "My dads.... Fiesta has it!"

I kind of think he'd guess that bit with Ford making the Fiesta Ghia ;-) You are right in thinking some Ford owned brands have/had this. How this pans out now they don't own JLR (Jaguar Land Rover) may change things.

Rob
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - mfarrow
I hear some Jaguars have it fitted.

I've also seen them on a Volvo Olympian, which was most surprising.
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - Hamsafar
Ford were first, then the Ford owned brands, a couple of years ago, the 25 year patent ran out and many makes have them now, but usually as an option.
Here is some more info:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quickclear
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - Rattle
I go on a lot of Olympians never actually noticed, I wonder if any of the Stagecoach ones have them fitted?

PS Thanks to the other poster for clearing up the patent issue.
When I had this on the Mondeo I found it useful. Took about a day or so to adjust to the lines in the screen. I think it should be an option on more cars. And I say option as some do not like them

Only tonight at 7pm my car had started to freeze. My previous Mondeo would have been quick to defrost.
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - mfarrow
the Stagecoach ones have them fitted?

There were only one or two in our area, probably R reg or earlier, bodied by Alexander.

They were not original Stagecoach purchase - IIRC they all came from London and had their middle door removed when cascaded.

East London bought R1** VPU sound like the likely candidates on buslistsontheweb, but again I can't be 100%. East London buying a bus with Quickclear? Surely some mistake!
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - Stuartli
I've found that unless the windscreen is kept scrupulously clean on the inside, driving at night can prove difficult in the event of oncoming headlights because of the wiring elements.

No doubt though that QuickClear screens are a boon in winter.
There was a new type I read about some 5 years ago, I have no idea if it came out. It used the metalised heat-reflective solarflect coating you see especially on French cars. They cut a microscopic patten in the coating with a laser, and then applied voltage to it. It was said to be totally invisible. Never heard of it again.
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - Blue {P}
Depending on the age of car that you are looking at you will be unlikely to find this feature on anything but a Ford.

I've begun using my Mondeo's screen in earnest now and can honestly say that I wouldn't be without it if it can be at all helped, it's such a shame that BMW only started offering them recently (I assume across the range as my brother's MINI has it)

Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - jc2
Ford may not own Land Rover but guess who makes all the parts used in the manufacture-same with Jaguar.
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - scouseford
I've had my Mondeo for 3 years but because I live in an area that is seldom subjected to severe weather I've not really been able to test the efficacy of its 'Quickclear' screen - until this morning!!

We've had a very severe frost overnight and my car windows were frozen solid. I've just taken the opportunity to put the system to the test and it has passed with flying colours. The front screen cleared completely in about 90 seconds - a very unreal experience as the ice on the screen started to 'crack' in vertical strips and then slowly and silently slid off the screen. The rear screen, which wasn't as badly affected, took about an extra 30 seconds.

Very impressive and for anyone living in an exposed area I would say that a 'Quickclear' screen would be a very attractive feature to have.
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - Altea Ego
you still have to scrape the side windows tho.
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - yorkiebar
"Ford may not own Land Rover but guess who makes all the parts used in the manufacture-same with Jaguar. "

You will have to tell me who it is.

I know the obvious answer is Ford; but I also know thats wrong.

Tell me please?
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - Avant
If you have a satnav, make sure it works with a quick-clear windscreen. I believe some do, some don't.
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - injection doc
My Landrover & jaguar have them fitted & my wifes fiesta & they are brilliant. wouldn't be without them. never had an issue with the heating element in the screen in relation to visability. When I was driving coaches in the early eighties they were fitted back then
They do effect a road angle & TM YQ & my sat nav is slow to respond on start up & often have to hold it out the window but once it pick up the signal its ok
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - JohnM{P}
The LagunaII had a heated screen listed as an option, but when I tried to order it in 2001, 'it wasn't available yet'.

(Many, many years ago, we came across a BMC 3litre (rare 'Landcrab' style) at Sodbury auction with Redline heated SIDE windows. Door hinges were shot, so we guessed it was used on a test rig for door opening/closing)
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - John F
If you have a satnav make sure it works with a quick-clear windscreen. I believe
some do some don't.

I don't like our Focus's windscreen - in certain lighting conditions it's like looking through wire mesh. There's a small mesh-free area where our Tom Tom sat nav works ok - that's presumably why it is there!
The quickclear screens in Fords will not affect GPS. I starting using TomTom using a Bluetooth GPS receiver in a Mondeo in early 2003. Worked fine. for 4 years whilst I had the car.
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - ex-Triumph man
Current spec Volvo cars have a rapid demist. This involves blasting air at a rapid rate of knots up from the demist vents. No built in fine wires per the Ford process. Note switching on this facility also puts the air con on too.
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - henry k
>>No built in fine wires per the Ford process.
>>
Note switching on this facility also puts the air con on too.

Though not a lot of use when it is 4 degrees or below so still need to wait for heater to work but I suspect Volvo have a rather well sorted heater:-).
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - Bilboman
My (Spanish market) Focus TDCi also has the Volvo system which blasts hot air at the screen and side windows. Quickclear is not available as an option here, but the turbo boost demist (or whatever it's called) is standard instead. Within a minute of starting the engine the system is operational and does the job very well.
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - NowWheels
Current spec Volvo cars have a rapid demist. This involves blasting air at a rapid
rate of knots up from the demist vents. No built in fine wires per the
Ford process. Note switching on this facility also puts the air con on too.

My Nissan Almera has this too. I thought all modern cars had it?

It does do much, though, until the engine starts to warm up a bit, which may take a few hundred yards.
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - Alby Back
Now here's a funny thing. It's -2C here at the moment and we needed to use two of our cars a little while ago. Both had frozen ice on their windscreens and have been standing side by side since they were both used this morning. One has a Quickclear element and the other has a rapid demist function. I switched both systems on to de-ice them, and prompted by this thread decided to time them against each other to see how long they took to shift the ice. ( There really isn't much on the telly is there ? )

The result was a remarkably similar defrost time. Interesting eh ? Or perhaps not.........

;-)
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - jase1
My Nissan Almera has this too. I thought all modern cars had it?

Yes, so does my Primera.

Surprisingly I thought, for such a cheap car, unless I misunderstood the controls the humble 2004 Kia Magentis I test-drove recently also seemed to have the same thing -- a fast-blaster with aircon which heated up quickly and had the screen cleared within a couple of hundred yards.

If this, somewhat primitive car has this feature I'd imagine just about every Eurobox would have it.
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - grumpyscot
Saabs with the winter pack (for diesels this means an additional, separate, heater to help engine efficiency) could clear the windscreen in a couple of minutes.

But I find snding the wife out first to scrape and clear the car is as quick as anything - I don't notice how long it takes while I have my morning coffee & toast....!!!
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - John F

Eight years on, just wondered about updating this thread. I still slightly dislike it but SWMBO insists that any replacement for our Xreg Focus estate, now doubled in age, must have one because it will live outside. Do Peugeots have them?

Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - sandy56

Most cars with aircon have the quick clear screen button. It works well on my 7 year old Peugeot.

That's true, but it's not nearly as quick as the electrically heated screen which was pioneered I think by Ford. My Volvo has it: it was part of the 'winter pack' option, and I think it's a fairly common fitment, standard or optional. on current cars.

It's certainly worth it, even as an option.

Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - concrete

My new Volvo XC60 has a heated front windscreen as part of the Winter Pack. I have also seen it as an option on many cars recently while trawling through marques to make a choice. The patent has run out so there is nothing to stop any manufacturer offering them. I cannot actuall see the lines in either the front or rear windscreens, they must be very slender.

One for Avant. On the front console at the bottom right there is button with a 'P' and a small pyramid section decal, with a green display light obviously to show it on or off. What is it for? The handbook or the quick guide do not show it or refer to it. Tried the My Car system to no avail. If you can help I would appreciate it.

I really like the car too. The interior, with leather is really well fitted out and the equipment levels are great. So far fairly easy to navigate around the car and the various systems, apart from the above mentioned 'P' button. Have driven 160 miles so far and it is a quick car if you need it to be too. The electronic parking brake seems fairly straight forward but not too sure about the stop start function. Means sitting with my foot on the brake pedal to hold the vehicle while blinding drivers to my rear. Prefer to go into 'N' and apply hand brake as it has an auto off function with the Geartronic autobox. Will monitor fuel consumption over the next few months, either towing or solo and report back. The average was virtually zero when collected but now up in the low 40's. So far so very good.

Cheers Concrete

Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - RT

Eight years on, just wondered about updating this thread. I still slightly dislike it but SWMBO insists that any replacement for our Xreg Focus estate, now doubled in age, must have one because it will live outside. Do Peugeots have them?

Ford's patents expired in 2005 - but even before then other brands used something functionally equivalent and since then they can use the same thing.

Unhelpfully, I have no idea if/which Peugeots it's available on.

Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - SLO76
No idea if Peugeot uses it but I do know that Vauxhall do. It's on the new Corsa 1.4 SRi I sourced for my sister in law recently and a handy thing it is too.
Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - skidpan

First car I had with a heated windscreen was a Caterham bought new in 1988. Essential in that car are there are no demist vents.

Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - Volts

No Peugeot dont have QuickClear however the windscreens did clear very quickly (308 GT Line) better than my previous Seat Leon

"One for Avant. On the front console at the bottom right there is button with a 'P' and a small pyramid section decal, with a green display light obviously to show it on or off. What is it for? The handbook or the quick guide do not show it or refer to it. Tried the My Car system to no avail. If you can help I would appreciate it."

Hi Concrete

On my V60 it turns the parking sensors on and off. It can stay on permanently which suits me. Unfortunately there seems to be no way of permanently disabling start/stop, which as you're finding is particularly infuriating on an automatic.

Generally the V60 is fine, and seems built to last. Mine's the D4, so reasonably lively but not as good to drive as the previous Octavia vRS. Weakest spots are the 'infotainment' (not vey intuitive) and the electronic parking brake (I don't like them at the best of rimes, and this one compounds the error by being sited down by the driver's right knee).

Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - skidpan

Unfortunately there seems to be no way of permanently disabling start/stop,

If there was the car would have to be reclassified for emmisions which would cost you ££££'s more.

Why is it so hard to press a button?

Edited by skidpan on 05/03/2017 at 17:26

Which cars have 'quickclear' windscreens? - concrete

Thanks Avant. Correct, it is the parking sensor. Strange there is no reference to it at all in the literature. I havn't tried to disable the stop/start function yet, but may try it later. The park brake is a bit obscurely sited but at least it goes off automatically if the drivers seat belt is fastened and the vehicle moves off, so there is no need to fumble for it. Mine is the D4 too and it is plenty quick enough for me. It is not the start/stop that annoys me, only the fact that the foot brake needs to be depressed to hold the vehicle, which really does blind the poor motorists behind. Not ideal. Cheers Concrete