Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - mark999
Recently attended a speeding seminar after being flashed for 35 in a 30. Very informative and well worth avoiding the 3 points.
Most of the other deligates had been done for 10% +2mph one guy 79mph on a motorway.
I was just wondering if any of the stories about people being done for just 1 or 2 mph over the limit were true.
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - Hamsafar
£280 for 36/30mph. :o( Gormless old lady magistrate.
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - NowWheels
A few months ago, a friend of mine was done for 73mph on a 70mph dual carriageway by Lothian&Borders police. No offer of a speeding seminar, just the 3points+fine.
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - ijws15
A colleague has one for 33 in a 30! Not recently.
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - Rattle
I thought there had to be a 10% + 2 rule?
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - Old Navy
Failed the attitude test?
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - smokie
ACPO guideline Rattle, not a rule. And in some areas there is a "safety camera partnership" or whatever they are called, and they don't always play by the same rules as the local plod.
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - Rattle
So how do you know if a camera complies with the ACPO? If they are yellow and well sign posted it should be ok?

I don't see how then prosecute you for doing over 30 because they have to allow for inaccuraces of the speedo etc. It seems the only way to avoid these points is to be a dangerious driver and go everywhere at 25mph in 3rd.
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - Robin Reliant
I don't see how then prosecute you for doing over 30 because they have to
allow for inaccuraces of the speedo etc.

Speeding is an absolute offence. You would have no defence if you were prosecuted for doing 31 in a 30. Speedometers are built "fail safe", they over-read so if you plonk the needle dead on 30 you are ok.

Before the flamethrowers come out, I am not advocating zero tolerance for speeding as I would be one of the victims myself.
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - Steve Pearce
>>A few months ago a friend of mine was done for 73mph on a 70mph
dual carriageway by Lothian&Borders police. No offer of a speeding seminar just the 3points+fine.

>>
Was your friend driving a van by any chance?
>>A few months ago a friend of mine was done for 73mph on a 70mph dual carriageway

>>
Was your friend driving a van by any chance?

No. The car was a common-or-garden Vauxhall Astra.
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - Altea Ego
A few months ago a friend of mine was done for 73mph on a 70mph
dual carriageway by Lothian&Borders police. No offer of a speeding seminar just the 3points+fine.

Did you see the NIP? if its true somehow your friend upset them. "what you stopped me for Jock" is not a good greeting for a police constable.

Edited by Altea Ego on 29/11/2008 at 09:34

>> A few months ago a friend of mine was done for 73mph on a
70mph
>> dual carriageway by Lothian&Borders police. No offer of a speeding seminar just the 3points+fine.
Did you see the NIP? if its true somehow your friend upset them. "what you
stopped me for Jock" is not a good greeting for a police constable.

No constable involved, it was a speed camera. How do you upset a camera?
>> Did you see the NIP? if its true somehow your friend upset them. "what you
>> stopped me for Jock" is not a good greeting for a police constable.
No constable involved it was a speed camera. How do you upset a camera?

Meant to add that I didn't see the NIP, so I can't say that I saw it with my own eyes. I take the point that without seeing it, I can't be sure, but even so I'd be very surprised if the woman concerned was understating the speed; I have never before known this person to do that (she'd say "not telling" if she didn't want to reveal the truth).

Oh, and this woman is very Scottish, and the day she calls someone "Jock" I'll be hiding from the flying pigs.
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - Altea Ego
I have to doubt its authenticity. Far to easy to challenge a camera clocking you at 3mph over a 70mph limit.
I have to doubt its authenticity. Far to easy to challenge a camera clocking you
at 3mph over a 70mph limit.

I was puzzled too, and suggested challenging it. The answer I got was "too much hassle", which made sense because at the time this self-employed person was having to concentrate on a big battle with the tax man, who has great difficulty in understanding that some self-employed people really do make sod all money :(

Personally, I'll still give the balance-of-doubt to my friend, and assume that Lothian+Borders are indeed issuing NIPs from some cameras at less than the 10%+2 ACPO guidelines. YMMV
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - corblimeyguvnar
80 in a 70, along with nearly every other motor on the road that day, am I bitter, of course not.
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - Dwight Van Driver
ACPO Speed Enforcement Guide Lines recommend prosecution by FPN to start with 10% plus 2 above the relevant limit.

This is what the SCP's/Plod follow as far as I am aware.

I note that there is often reference to the fact that NOIP's have been issued below the above speed but always seem to note a friend or someone else has been the recipient.

?

DVD
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - zookeeper
36 in a 30, got me a 60 pound fine and a half day speed awareness course with mostly women i might add!!! they didnt appreciate it when i made a point of the man/woman ratio attending as women are apparently safer drivers
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - Bromptonaut
ACPO guidance as DVD says, but North Wales are known to practice zero tolerance. Does same ACPO remit run in Scotland and/or do L&B follw same practices as North Wales?
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - L'escargot
I've never received an NIP so I can't answer the question.
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - GroovyMucker
I've never received an NIP so I can't answer the question.

Not that you're smug!

68 in 60.

Why is anyone getting fined at court? It's much cheaper to take the fixed penalty offer.
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - commerdriver
It's one of the few things normally reliable people will lie about. I never believe 31 in a 30 claims unless I have seen the nip.
Even my mother when she was still driving, got caught by a camera, only for 31 or 32 but the nip mysteriously seemed to have disappeared, not worth arguing but my sincere (maybe wrong) belief is that anyone who says they were done for 2 or 3 miles an hour over is being less than completely honest.
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - scotty
I'm like the snail (but not so smug).

My wife got NIPped for 34 in a 30 in Chorley and yes, I've seen the piece of paper ... and it was a camera so no attitude involvement.
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - Clk Sec
Would that have been in N Wales, Scotty?

Clk Sec
Lowest Speed You've Had An NIP For - gordonbennet
Came off this month so exactly 3 years ago.

Camera van open A road between Droitwich and Stourbridge (West Mercia so no quarter given) i got done for 46mph when i'm limited to 40 in the truck, doubly cheesed as it was my first nick in over 25 years.

Annoyed with myself for not spotting him sooner, trouble is do 40 on those type of roads and you are a menace causing all sorts of suicidal overtaking to understandably get by.

Nice picture though..;)