registration plate to match the car - skorpio
Just seen a Volvo X70 4x4 thingy with the reg X70 VOL.

Just curious what posseses people to buy a car that has name badges on the back anyway and they prompty bung on a number plate that probably costs them a packet plus transfer fees that tells anyone following that they're behind...wait for it...a Volvo X70!

Do owners buy a plate first then a car to match or the other way round?

And what happens when they stop making that model and you're left holding a reg plate with a bunch of worthless numbers and letters.

Discuss
registration plate to match the car - Alanovich
Not sure I've ever seen a BMW X5 without a number plate starting "X5....".

I think they're mandatory on those as it's hard for poor people to spot them and work out what they are (due to their compact size and discreet styling) without the additional help of the number plate. If they fail to do so, they may not doff their caps to the Laird of the Manor behind the wheel, and no-one wants to see that.
registration plate to match the car - George Porge
Why do you care how others spend their money :o/

It could be a dealer / manufacturer demo

The plate would be sold with the car
registration plate to match the car - skorpio
I don't care Dox. I'm merely curious as to the mindset of someone who buys a car then pays more for 2 large yellow and white plastic plates each end proclaiming what it is they are driving around in.

I shan't lose sleep over it.
Likewise. Don't care but it does make me larf. Takes all sorts.
registration plate to match the car - ForumNeedsModerating
Yes, it's mystifying - they're quite useful for me though - I know they'll be driven by a complete numpty, as all 'cherished' plated cars are; forewarned is forearmed.
registration plate to match the car - Bagpuss
When I bought my M3 from the local BMW dealer, it arrived with the registration "x-PS 343x. I didn't think much of it until it dawned me that "PS" is german for "horsepower" and 343 is the power in horsepower. I didn't ask for and it can't be a coincidence so I guessed the dealer just thought it was a good idea.
registration plate to match the car - L'escargot
For what it's worth, it was first registered 01/09/06 and will be due for retaxing 01/03/09.
Couldn't stretch to a year's tax at some stage then. That's only gonna get more difficult.

(kidding)
registration plate to match the car - NowWheels
Just curious what posseses people to buy a car that has name badges on the
back anyway and they prompty bung on a number plate that probably costs them a
packet plus transfer fees that tells anyone following that they're behind...wait for it...a Volvo X70!

Why should we care? They will have paid the DVLA at least £250 for the privilege of having that plate, cash that goes handily to offset the other costs of the DVLA's services, thereby keeping prices down for the rest of us.

So long as they don't misrepresent the plates, please don't do anything to discourage people from funding the DVLA in this way.
registration plate to match the car - audiA6tdi
Best plate i saw was on a Range Rover. X5 NOT. Although i dont understand why every X5 has these plates are. It looks cheap.
registration plate to match the car - oldnotbold
The joke is of course on the buyer of the plate, as once the model is withdrawn, it's old hat and worth £0.00. I saw AUD1 16V many years ago - great at the time when 16v engines were hot stuff, but it's not worth 2p now, I guess, except for a classic Audi.

Stick to making up your name using 4 for A, and 3 instead of E. Far classier!
registration plate to match the car - Ian (Cape Town)
Thanks for that,
14N (C4P3 T0WN)

Here, you can buy up to 7 digits for a plate, so we have 4U2NV-WP, DUDE-WP, AJAX=-WP etc etc etc.
Which just screams "Bell end" to me.
But what boggles the mind is some plates which are obviously SO cryptic they can't mean anything to the average man in the street.
registration plate to match the car - Dwight Van Driver
The reason:

Lookatmelookatmelookatmelookatme........

Pratt plates we used to call them...

dvd
registration plate to match the car - oldnotbold
Friends had AA 77, which had been in the family since registrations first came in - and quite nice to have, and not too pratt-ish, once you knew the history.
Ok, fascinating scenario:

"Hi police? There's a bloke driving like a complete radish on the M3 past the hospital..."

"Did you get a license plate?"

"No, but it was a white car, maybe a ford or a vauxhall..."

"Hi police? There's a bloke driving like a complete radish on the M3 past the hospital..."

"Did you get a license plate?"

"Yes. It was NUMPTY-WP... on a white car, maybe a ford or a vauxhall"

And invariably those round here with personalised plates drive like morons...
registration plate to match the car - Bilboman
What really puzzles me is the detailing to be found INSIDE the car, everywhere from kick plates to floor mats and, yes, even the good old dashboard. I mean a Ghia just isn't a Ghia unless the little badge is stuck right there for the passenger's immense pleasure, is it?
And does a driver need to be reminded by an often huge logo in the middle of the steering wheel what brand of car s/he's driving? About as useful and relevant as the warm up jingle to the brand of mobile phone we alll know and, er,...
registration plate to match the car - paulc924
Maybe not to match the car but I thought it was only me that didn't like plates that mean nothing, or only to those with a suspicious imagination. I have been noting them down. Do you want to see them and see how sad some folks are?
registration plate to match the car - jayneh
SPAM SNIPPED and account disabled

Edited by Webmaster on 28/11/2008 at 16:46

registration plate to match the car - tyro
Personally, I think that a registration plate that matches the type of car is rather pleasing - and classier than a lot of personalised registrations.

Never done it myself, mind - and after reading this thread, I guess that I'd be too timid to ever try it ;-)

Edited by tyro on 28/11/2008 at 17:46

registration plate to match the car - henry k
Personally I think that a registration plate that matches the type of car is rather pleasing

>>

One of the neatest I have seen was BMW 3.3 L
At first I thought it was a showroom plate.
registration plate to match the car - jc2
Used to see loads of MG & VW plates.
registration plate to match the car - Rattle
I was thinking of buying F18 STA or F13 STA or F1 ATS :D

I too don't get the point in private plates but I don't care either.
registration plate to match the car - JamesH
The car I recently bought has a number plate to match the model. It wouldn't have suited the owner's new car so he left it on.

It's not something I would have forked out for myself and probably doesn't add much to the value of the car. It didn't sway my opinion of the car either way before buying. I don't mind it and it's had some positive comments. It is distinctive.

Another item left on it is a footrest with the car's logo on. Not something you spend all day staring at, but it's neat and tasteful.

It's just another form of cosmetic embellishment, a bit like many alloy wheels. You have to have some reg plates, or some wheels and you can spend as much or as little as you want on some white/yellow plastic or metal circles. Some like it, some don't. Provided it's done legally, it up to the individual what they put on.
registration plate to match the car - nick1975
i think it can be quite run and it can be used to hide the age of the car a little bit.

registration plate to match the car - zookeeper
it was pure chance that the plate on my car happened to be my name..cheers... f164sjf
registration plate to match the car - hooterml
My wife had a new beetle in 2001 and she wanted a plate for it. I got a plate from the DVLA site ** BUG for £250. The car didn't depreciate too heavily during it's time with us but the plate was worth £1000 when she sold it.
I was thinking of buying .......... F13 STA

Don't just sit there thinking about it. Do it! It will only cost you a mere £9995. tinyurl.com/6hbnew
registration plate to match the car - 1400ted
Of course, the ultimate pose ( and much cheaper) is to change your name by deed poll to suit your car. My wife, however, objected and didn't wish to be known as Mrs BJ54WHD so I didn't go ahead.
I own an old moped which will not see the road again, with my name TED and three numbers. Frustratingly, it is 'non-transferable', that would look good on my Honda 600.
Ted
registration plate to match the car - gmac
It seems to have spread.
In the Bergheim area of Germany all plates start BM.
Guess which German brand of car has BM 1/3/5/6/7xx W plates.

Edited by gmac on 29/11/2008 at 18:12

I believe VIZ comic made this joke back in 1989, and have been harping on about it every time since, when it is repeated.
registration plate to match the car - GroovyMucker
Why do they do it?

Isn't it insecurity? Not wanting people to know how old their car is?
As mentioned above, groovy, local personalised plates are available 'on order', as long as it is original, not offensive, and are prepeared to pay.
Me? I like the anonymity of a bog-standard one. *
BUT what always amazed me in the UK was people who monkey about with the letters, darkened fittings and fonts, so that they could convince other folk that the plate actually said something meaningful.

A bit like Esther Whatserface off That's Life saying "If you look really hard, this carrot looks like just a willy."

An aquaintance who had a VERY recognisable plate - CE 77877 - was caught out once after taking his mistress away for a dirty weekend to a place a few miles up the coast.
An aquaintance of his wife asked if she had enjoyed the weekend at the resort, but she replied that her hubby had been away in Johannesburg for work that weekend....
"But we saw his car, with that 77877 plate...."

VERY expensive divorce, that was....

Edited by Ian (Cape Town) on 29/11/2008 at 18:50

registration plate to match the car - gmac
A bit like Esther Whatserface off That's Life saying "If you look really hard this
carrot looks like just a willy."

This is just screaming out for a Dale Winton comment but I shall ignore it...

Back on motoring I wonder if Jasper Carrott has a personalise plate ?
Baldrick (from Blackadder 2): "It's rather funny that you have a turnip that looks like a ... thingy.... because *I* have a thingy that looks like a turnip!"
registration plate to match the car - George Porge
Why do they do it?

9 years ago I bought a P/P, I paid £500 for it, its been valued at £1K by a company to buy from me to sell on at a profit

9 years ago some one bought a Golf V5 highline estate, when a 1600 base model would have surved the same purpose.

4 months ago I bought the same estate for £1100 with 6 months tax, a 1600 base model would have cost me more and I'd be hard pressed to buy one in the same condition as the V5 which for 130K miles is near mint.

Now analyse your own motoring expenditure and try and justify what you've bought and why.

I saw a P/P and bought it for me and only me

;o)
registration plate to match the car - hooterml
Why do they do it?

This doesn't apply in every case, but like i said earlier in my wife's case, the plate made money, the car depreciated.

Also in my neck of the woods, folk keep the same plate from car to car. It is certainly not always to hide the fact that a car is older. It is just as often to hide the fact that they are driving brand new cars.
registration plate to match the car - andyfr
It is just as often to hide the fact that they are driving brand new
cars.

That's the reason I got my plate!
registration plate to match the car - Alby Back
I have an old 6 character plate which I've had for donkeys years. It wouldn't mean a thing to anyone else. It might just intrigue a crossword buff but to a casual observer it doesn't "say" anything.

I don't use it to disguise anything or to make any kind of statement and it is legally displayed.

I just like it.

Is that OK ?
registration plate to match the car - Manatee
I could have written the same post as Humph. 3 letters and 3 numbers, doesn't spell anything, not my initials, doesn't match the car, font Charles Wright, correctly spaced, no badges, background etc.

I am insecure as it happens, but I don't think that's anything to do with it ;-)

I originally bought it because it looked cheap and it might turn a profit or make the car easier to sell - I now find I like having my number, rather than the car's changing number. An incidental benefit is not needing to change plates on two trailers when I change the car.

Fortunately I don't need to be anonymous. Back in the mid eighties I had a very memorable number plate for a while - that car was spotted everywhere. At the time I was selling, many of my customers were outside my allocated territory, and I was caught out 'poaching' more than once. I don't recommend a distinctive plate of any kind if you are planning a criminal career or extramarital activities.
registration plate to match the car - Westpig
I bought one for my then new wife as a birthday present, my first initial, then a 4, then her 3 initials e.g. A4ABC.

Went down a treat (checked with her sister first). We get to keep the plate forever on whatever car she has, it gradually increases in price (not the reason I bought it) and we like it.

Why would anyone else be bothered about it? I genuinely don't understand the charged negative feelings that can be displayed on the subject. Surely it's 'each to their own'.
I too drive a car too with a personal plate: not mine, but my dog's, though only people who know him would recognise that, and otherwise it's an undistinctive plate on an undistinctive car.

At £250 a few years ago it was an absurd extravagance, although I do plead the I-voz-only-following-orders-defence, since it's his car.

I do wonder about plates which shout "me me me", but to plenty of people that would make much more sense than my dog's plates. To others, all of us appear to have more money than sense. YMMV
registration plate to match the car - Westpig
NW,

Have you been at the sherry?.....:-)
Have you been at the sherry?.....:-)

Not allowed. I had my lead put on, and was taken for a walk, although today I declined my usual chauffering duties. ;)

Besides, sherry is far too demure to be my tipple when I'm tippling, and the when is subject to a self-imposed evenings-only rule.
registration plate to match the car - GroovyMucker
I too drive a car too with a personal plate: not mine but my dog's

Neat idea.

Don't suppose it's a Rover is it?

What happens when he gets a NIP?
registration plate to match the car - Happy Blue!
I bought a Volvo S80 from a local woman whose husband had died and it was his car. To spare her seeing the car around and thinking it was her husband I swapped the plate for S80 (and then my initials). I heard she appreciated the gesture and when I sold the car, the plate went with. Luckily my initials could also be the model designation of various cars (e.g. GT, LX etc etc), so the new owner was very happy to take it.
Don't suppose it's a Rover is it?

;)

No, he doesn't like leather seats.
What happens when he gets a NIP?

:)

He doesn't, 'cos he's delegated the driving to his staff. Why keep a human and do your own driving?

But if he did have to take over the wheel, I suspect that Mr Plod would collar him ...
registration plate to match the car - Paul Robinson
Well well! What an evening, I'd never have guessed that NW has a personal plate and Humph lives on an executive housing estate.
Well well! What an evening I'd never have guessed that NW has a personal plate

not actually mine, guv :)
registration plate to match the car - Brian Tryzers
Not sure if the one I saw this evening on a junior-grade Lexus (with bad-taste body kit) matched the car or the driver.

S3 CUL

I'm guessing he's not French.
registration plate to match the car - Martin Devon
But if he did have to take over the wheel I suspect that Mr Plod
would collar him ...

Were there any leads to go on?

MD
registration plate to match the car - Martin Devon
Went down a treat (checked with her sister first).

You really ought to think these things through before posting WP.

Have a nice day.............Regards....Martin. D
registration plate to match the car - movilogo
They might hide age for a year or two - as it is quite possible to guess the year of the car from the model.
I could have SNA 1L for £34,495. tinyurl.com/79c45r

If you've got it, flaunt it! If I won the lottery I'd even round it up to £35,000 just to make my accounting easier!

Edited by L'escargot on 24/12/2008 at 07:21

registration plate to match the car - Pipkinjoe
Our Ka has KA in the reg plate, it just sort of arrived with it. I was vaguely embarrassed that people might think we had bought it on purpose.
registration plate to match the car - audiA6tdi
i think the cheap plates look naff - i.e. the £250 jobs from dvla but some of the more expensive plates can look good. My girlfriends mother has SUS1E which has increased considerably since it was brought for her.
registration plate to match the car - Citroënian {P}
Our C4 has mine and my good lady's forename initial in the plate - we had a choice of reg when we got the car so took one that was vaguely "us". When my Mum got her Fabia, one of the choices was a plate with her initials in it, would have been barmy not to take that - cost nothing extra and she was very pleased with it. Don't think I'd put my hand in my pocket for a plate though, but that's just personal choice.

There's an MX5 round here with MX 51 LUV (MX5 I LUV) - not ours I hasten to add :)
There's a giant Mercedes round here with G1 ANT.Ted
registration plate to match the car - avensonian
Hi

Don't often post but thought I'd chip in here.

When I bought my last but one car I bought it in a solid colour thus saving about £350 on the cost of metallic. I thought I'd spend some of the money on a personal plate (Just a cheapo £250 one) simply because I'd always fancied having one.

A few weeks ago my sisater in law had a nasty letter from a solicitor accusing her of hitting someone in a car park about 150 miles from her home. It clearly wasn't her. What must have happened is that someone wrote down her highly forgettable 'normal' number slightly wrongly. So she had a bit of hassle making the solicitor go away. The thought occurs that a personal plate would be less susceptible to being misrecorded as it is more memorable, so false accusations are less likeley.

Also when a criminal is choosing to give a car a false identity he will choose an anonymous type of registration number, so if you have a personal plate you are less likely to have plod knocking on your door for someting you haven't done. I've read many times of people being wrongly accused of going through speed traps and having trouble proving it.

Just my thought you understand, sorry to ramble on.
registration plate to match the car - aaflyer
Well, digressing slightly, my first car was a second-hand MkII Punto bought for ca. 5k The dealer had a cherished number plate on it: TJI xx. I didn't really know much about plates then, but knew it was attractive and could understand why I had to swap his plates for standard ones about 3 months later.

Long story short. Browsing the web today. TJI xx is for sale for £4000!! I knew it was valuable, but not quite that much. Goodness, the plate, if still assigned to the Punto would be worth perhaps 3-4 times the Punto's value. Clearly cherished plates are a good investment...

AA
Further to my post of Christmas Eve last, G1 ANT now seems to be on a Bentley Continental Flying Spur...................class !

Ted
registration plate to match the car - Falkirk Bairn
Local butcher's Van

M 1 NCE

He also owns M2NCE,M22NCE - rubbish in comparison to the Van.
registration plate to match the car - Snakey
Every time I even think about getting a private reg plate, I stop myself because I simply begrudge giving the DVLA any more money, so they can waste it on stupid TV ads telling me I can give them more money....
What is it with butchers ?
I've mentioned VEN150N on a game dealers van...our butcher has B*EEF on his van.
They must all be well off, in fact, I've yet to MEAT a poor one !

I'll get me coat.

Ted
registration plate to match the car - ndbw
Before the war University Motors of Pall Mall bought up a block of MG plates,they were of course main MG dealers.

ndbw
registration plate to match the car - aaflyer
1400ted: you might say: With all that talk of venison, etc.'Oh deer, what a bad joke!!'

I'll get MY coat...

AA
registration plate to match the car - CGNorwich
Back in 1968 I use to own RAN 800 which i guess these days would be worth a bit. Seb Coe might have liked it! In those days these things weren't worth much and I disposed of it with the ageing Morris Oxford.
Me too CGN. I bought a Jowett Javelin to save it from scrap...£12 I think.
Came with KAT 196...Kati would have liked that one.
At least the car was saved and is now restored and in the club.

Ted
registration plate to match the car - schneip
I'd always wanted a BMW 3-Series (any generation in all honesty) and having bought a BMW plate for my '52' Mini Cooper realised '03' was coming next - So bought an '03' plate ending BMW back in Jan/Feb '03 (at a cost of £999 from DVLA, same as the 52) and still have it (now on my 2nd E46). The first two letters were chosen to also have meaning (a standard abbreviation) and balance it out aesthetically. Had my first E46 that October and it looked as good then as it does now.

On the 'pratt plate' front - well - my plate is subtle, but explicit. It's legally spaced and clearly names the car, not it's engine or output. No need for any dodgy positioning of characters or screw caps. And no tacky fonts or chav appearence; actually looks quite classy. Yes, some people have their initials on a plate (great if you want to change manufacturer) but what do your initials actually mean to the vast majority of people that will see the plate?

... Ultimate point of my registration? Well, it makes me smile and feel good. The car wears the plates proudly, causing the odd double take, and the reg mark is also valued higher than the price I paid (it appears that I was quick off the mark in thinking it up). I get compliments when I call for insurance quotes or book the car in for a service. It also upset some petty neighbours, in particular, which is always a bonus around here (probably worth paying a grand, just for that)! My next car will be a 3-Series. And however many after that, hopefully; now that Chris Bangle has left the building :)
registration plate to match the car - alfatrike
i saw 2BE and NOT 2 B the other day parked on the same drive in london. must be a thesp, luvvie.
registration plate to match the car - Pugugly
By sheer chance the sequential registration number for a friend's new MX5 is going to be ??59MX? - the car is going straight onto her personal plate though. Shame in a way.
registration plate to match the car - Badwolf
When I bought my Saab 9000 last September it came with the registration number M900 OTS. The previous owner thought that it was simply a coincidence and that the reg. number was a 'normal issue'.

I've just changed the car for a '53' plate Megane but, to be honest, couldn't be bothered to change the plate over as it has absolutely no personal significance to me. Anyway, it suits the car better than me, so I left it on.

I could probably have put it on retention and then sold it, but as I didn't pay for it in the first place I decided that I really couldn't be bothered with all the attendant faffing about.

Cheers.
registration plate to match the car - perro
I've never been a fan of the ole personal number plate idea - even when I had barrowloads of green folding stuff ... When I lived up on the Bodmin moor, my neighbour - 1 of only 2, was a recluse and a dead ringer for Osama Bin Laden, he lived in an *un*converted Wesleyan/Methodist chapel with thick (and I mean THICK) cobwebs all over the place + 5 old telly's so that when one went on the blink, he could shove another one up on the sideboard.
His car was a beaten up old 305 est. that he used to ferry his German Shepherd that had the mange about in and (yes! you've guessed it) he had a blimming personal No. plate (hehehe!) I could never get over that one!
registration plate to match the car - henry k
>>On the 'pratt plate' front - well -......
>>
I saw, for the first time, another variation of altered plate

The plate was something like MR 56 FOX but just the 56 was in tiny font, less than half the height of the legal font.
It really did stand out and catch my eye. I hope it causes the same reaction from a traffic car driver.
registration plate to match the car - schneip
I hope it causes the same reaction from a traffic car driver.

Seemingly zero chance of that happening in my area whatsoever; you might as well ask the cat to act upon it. Even saw a driving school car a few weeks ago with an illegal plate (mis-spaced private registration) and someone a few streets away with a doom blue Merc C class has done the same and even leaves it close to a junction and blocking half the pavement.

Of course, front foglights switched on in leiu of/in addition to dipped headlights are also common here (5 cars within 2.5 miles Saturday evening coming home), and when the chav a few doors up couldn't get the shop break the law and black tint his front two windows on his 5 Series, he did it himself. That was a good year ago and the car is still the same.

... Does anyone out there actually know anyone that's been pulled up on their number plates other than come MOT time?? Also, what's actually wrong with these people that think the law doesn't apply to them and their plates can be as obscure as they like? I appreciate books shouldn't be judged by their cover but when I see this sort of thing it really does make me question the mentality of the driver :(

Edited by schneip on 21/09/2009 at 18:16

I visit a pal in Hale Barns occasionally....big money and footballers area.. Every other car has pratt plates...as does mine, although they came with it !
Loads last Friday but didn't see any illegal. Notable were REN 1E and G1 PSY.

Was behind something the other day, not a special plate, but could be ambiguous.
Looked like P555 ABC but close up was actually PS55 ABC...camera beater ?

Ted
registration plate to match the car - Dave_TD
I saw AUD1 16V many years ago - great at the time when 16v engines were hot stuff, but it's not worth 2p now, I guess, except for a classic Audi.

AUD 124V spotted a while back - on a Citroen C15 (Visa) van!!

A bit like when you see a 320d with an "M3" or even "M5" number plate - either they used to have the car to match or they're saving like mad for one!

And yes, I realise how old this thread is...