oil and filter change - put old filter back on - oldtoffee
Yesterday my Legacy went in for its 12,000 mile "service" - oil and filter change and inspection at a main dealer. They rang saying they'd drained the oil and didn't realise that the diesel used a different oil filter and they didn't have one in stock. A double whammy! I couldn't leave the car with them for another day so they refitted the old filter. They've offered to have the car back and fit a new filter saying that would be ok. I think I'd prefer another fill of new oil as some of the old oil in the old filter will have mixed with the new oil. Is that fair enough or am I being over fussy? Appreciate any views. Thanks.
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - oilrag
You are not being over fussy Neil.
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - Pendlebury
I agree with oil rag.
I would doubt the dealer would refuse a polite request and would be very surprised if they did not do it any way.
It beggars belief that a dealer does not stock a standard part like this though.
Even id this is their first diesel engine.
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - Simon
Thats poor service from a main dealer. I would also request that they change the oil again too if it was my, but I can't see much harm coming from just a straight filter swap and a top-up anyway.
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - nick
I think it shows the dealer is a good one. How many other dealers would have just given the old filter a wipe over, put it back and said nothing?
On a different track, what do you think of the engine?

Edited by nick on 27/11/2008 at 09:23

oil and filter change - put old filter back on - oldnotbold
Assuming you'd booked it in beforehand, it was hardly a surprise that it needed a filter surely?
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - Altea Ego
usually a dealer checks they have or orders a service kit at booking time. I suspect they ordered a petrol one.
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - J500ANT
My local smart dealer told me they had all the parts to service my smart forfour BRABUS - I specifically asked them to check "we have all service items for all the current and recent past range"

On the day of the service "oh we didnt have any spark plugs for it, they're on order"
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - Falkirk Bairn

Re the Subaru garage - easy mistake - probably one of the first diesel Legacy sold and 12K mls in 4 months probably the 1st car needing a service!

My local Indie stocks very little service parts - too many types of car.

His suppliers, franchise dealers / factors supply "kits" for each model / type of service.

A kit might be oil filter, air filter, sump washer, semi-synthetic oil, 4 spark plugs .......all in a box - ready to hand to the mechanic along with the keys to do the job.

For a small Citroen recently he said he paid £22 for the kit from the Citroen Franchise along the road. Buying separately he would have phoned around - got stock from 2 or more suppliers and paid more and might have been an item short.
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - Happy Blue!
Yes this is right.

I took my Outback to be serviced at the Subaru dealer last year and they had not realised that I had swapped it from my Forester the year before. So they did not have the correct air filter. This year when the Outback needed servicing I double checked with them that they ordered in a new airfilter. It was there on the booking sheet when I arrived, as a separate item from the service 'kit'.
Thanks all. I expect the dealer will be okay with me asking for new oil - they could see me 3 times a year for servicing so I guess it's worth it to them.

As Nick says it would have been easier not to admit the problem.

Altea Ego - you're right they did say they ordered the petrol one assuming it was the same. I'd have thought or hoped that they would have had some prior knowledge from training perhaps by the importer?

>>On a different track, what do you think of the engine?

It's very good and getting noticeably better as the miles add up. It isn't as quiet at start up from cold as some tests claim (not HJ's test - he's closer but a bit harsh IMO with the bag of spanners analogy.) Within a couple of miles it becomes very smooth and quietens down dramatically. Like most diesels there's nothing much up to 1500rpm but then it picks up and you can use much more of the rev range than any other diesel I've driven; the exhaust note and the slick gearbox add to the experience. Around town, stop start stuff it requires a few more revs in first to keep it from stalling but you get used to that. On the open road the gear ratios seem perfect and its quite enjoyable hanging on to the revs a bit (ok not at all like a VTEC or my old 3.0R Spec B.) Acceleration in 4th and 5th is very impressive indeed although from new it wasn't anywhere near as punchy. MPG is low 40s which considering the way it is driven and the size of car I'm perfectly happy with. How James May got 63mpg out of it on TG I'll never know, actually I do - he must have stuck to 50 mph. I tried this for two minutes just to see 63mpg on the computer, got bored, reset it and pressed on. I understand that a well known Subaru ECU tuner is working with a very well known Warwickshire based Subaru tuner on remapping the diesel so I intend to be a very good boy in the run up to Christmas!
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - Manatee
>>the exhaust note and the slick gearbox add to the experience.

On a test drive, I found the raspy exhaust irritating. Liked the car though. Mostly my lack of 'consumer confidence' holding me in check!
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - yorkiebar
" they could see me 3 times a year for servicing so I guess it's worth it to them. "

Thats 1 way of looking at it.

the other is maybe, "If they cant organise a simple oil filter for a planned service what on earth happens if I get a real problem" Oil filters are available from a variety of sources, quickly.

I would have expected a new filter (even if from a local factor) and an offer to change that as soon as they had arranged another oe one, rather than the risks of refitting an old used filter.

Was the old 1 thrown in a bin for example and then retrieved to refit when they realised they didnt have the correct 1? Was it damaged in any way on removal? (often the case).

oil and filter change - put old filter back on - Carrow
As far as i can tell, no-one in the aftermarket produces an oil filter for this vehicle yet. I had a quick look on my Mastercat (parts catalogue which is VERY extensive), and not one supplier had a listing. Poor show from the dealer though for not having one though, when I worked in main dealers parts departments, we HAD to take a stock pack for any new vehicle which would include filters, pads & disc's and othe wear & tear items, just so this sort of thing didn't happen. I suppose Subaru expect their parts managers to organise themselves.
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - volevo
At least a couple of these boxer diesel engines have failed. See cbcb.
HJ

Not being familiar with what you mean by cbcb, I'd be interested to hear more about this - sorry am a total noob;-) Can you elaborate?
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - Pugugly
If you click on the red box at the top of the page, all will be revealed.
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - volevo
pugugly - thanks for helping out this noob:-)
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - ndgriffiths
I know its a while back now but have you had any news on the remap for the engine?

I've just past 24000 in the Legacy diesel and I've found all it's limits so I'd like a few more HP and a bit more torque lower down the rev range.

Dragon performance chips who tuned my A4 aren't planning a remap at present and like you I'm getting around 42 mpg at the moment.

The Audi engine improved fuel economy with a chip and I am hoping that the Subaru would do the same
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - quizman
How much more did the insurance cost after the remap?
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - ndgriffiths
The box was removable as it sat in between the ECU and the engine. (Ithnik its called a piggyback device).
I didn't let the insurance company know as its primary function was to improve the fuel economy
oil and filter change - put old filter back on - FP
With respect, I think you're on dodgy ground here. It is my understanding you are required to let your insurance company know of ANY modification, whatever its purpose (even aesthetic).

Otherwise your cover could be invalidated - not a nice situation to be in.

Edited by ChrisPeugeot on 03/02/2009 at 18:50

>>I know its a while back now but have you had any news on the remap for the engine?

No news so far - the people I initially contacted are still saying a remap is under development. I've found a company that produces a power box plug in affair but having emailed them, without reply, I rang them and spoke with one of their "technicians" who couldn't tell me anyhting other than it worked really good and of the two they had fitted neither had come back! Found another company who claim to be able to remap the ecu but it isn't via the OBD it entails removing the ECU and resoldering twelve jonts - no thanks, not quite what I had in mind. Apparently cars with Denso injectors are notoriously difficlut to remap.

I'll hang on and see what comes out of the more established tuners if anything. The car is going great and I carried out a little mod myself the other weekend and trimmed the driver side rubber overmat, which provided another 4mm of accelerator pedal travel and unleashed a few more bhp!

oil and filter change - put old filter back on - ForumNeedsModerating
The car is going great and I carried out a little mod myself the other weekend and trimmed the driver side rubber overmat, which provided another 4mm of accelerator pedal travel and unleashed a few more bhp!

You're driving the thing flat-out then?! Surely not the best way to maximise diesel type power characteristics surely!