2003 2.0 TDCi poor slow running - ITman
Hi

I have a mondeo 03 plate

Since I have had it the injectors have been cleaned/changed, new glow plugs, new air, fuel and oil filter + new oil of correct consistency. Engine has now done 71000 miles.

Also had air con and radiator fan on continuously. This was a faulty heater control panel. (pre climate control)

I had bad slow running and have cured this by blanking off the EGR valve with a metal sheet.

I now am left with the following:

1) Rev counter shows tickover at about 750rpm I think this should be higher
2) Temp gauge fluctuates between 0 and quarter. Car eventually gets warm
3) Engine cuts out occasionally on approach to roundabouts and road junctions, starts immediately in most cases but have had one instance when I had to wait 2/3 minutes and then it was fine.

Suggestion on the various sites seem to indicate that a software upgrade is needed, but others have said that this makes it worse.

Any ideas where I can start.

Regards

Colin Taylor

Edited to use the full width of the display, Rob

Edited by rtj70 on 26/11/2008 at 16:33

2003 2.0 TDCi poor slow running - iconiC
First thing I would do is have the car code read for any trouble codes...this may save money in the long run by avoiding 'trial by substitution'

But guessing....

1/ Idle speed sounds fine to me
2/ If the car takes a long time to get to temp, possible faulty thermostat, if the engine is running too cool it will never run 100%, it's one of the sensor inputs the ECU will use to adjust fueling and other parameters.
3/ Engine control ECU Software was upgrade a few times I think?

hope this helps
Hi

1) Rev counter still sits at 750. Haynes say that early mondeo TDCi should sit at 900 and later ones at 750. Mine is an early one, built in late 2002. I think it would run sweeter at a few more revs.
2) Have changed the Thermostat and it now sits at a steady quarter. So thermostat was U/S. Would like it a bit warmer.
3) Have recleaned the EGR valve which seems to have more or less cured the stalling problems. I only get it occasionally now, I think that the EGR valve is sticking and not opening and closing correctly, when you change down to 2nd the revs drop suddenly and the engine stops. May still be the ECU software.
It actually seems worse if I blank the valve off !!!

I will do further checks after I have afforded the £173 for a new EGR valve.

Thanks for the help so far

ITman
2003 2.0 TDCi poor slow running - Javalin
I'd be inclinded to change the coolant-temperature-sensor (ECT) sensor too. Will cause the car to "think" its cold and run a rich mixture. That can cause stalling, poor fuel economy etc. Do you get a lumpy idle?

>Suggestion on the various sites seem to indicate that a software upgrade is needed, but others have said that this makes it worse.
from reading arround I'd of said that is unlikely unless you have specific known fault.

J

Edited by Javalin on 11/12/2008 at 11:49

Hi

Fuel economy is good, mid 40's around town and mid 50's on a motorway run at 70/75mph. I have a very steady right foot.

Idly is lumpy depending on how the EGR valve seems to feel. poor running sometimes when cold for first 200 metres then seems to clear the warmer the engine becomes. Other days it is pretty good right from cold.

Sometimes when the engine feels good it does not stall at all, has been Ok since I cleaned it on Saturday except for the 4 mile trip home on monday evening when it stalled twice. OK since then although I feel that it is always running a bit slow on tickover. If I sit with my foot on the accelerator and give it another 100 revs or so then it sounds better and runs smoother.

I seem to remember that when I first had the car it idled at about 800revs, but after 2 injectors were changed and the other 2 cleaned then it seems to run slower. This all occured within 2 weeks of purchase and the EGR valve started playing up as well.

Thanks

ITman
2003 2.0 TDCi poor slow running - googolplex
Regarding the engine cutting out, I had this on a late Nov 02 TDCi (Reg 03) and it turned out to be a Camshaft sensor. Once replaced, it never happened again. On mine, it started mildly - pulling up to junctions, and eventually started cutting out all over the place, often on motorways.
2003 2.0 TDCi poor slow running - andy@ford
ref cutting out. possible camshaft sensor comon fault would cause non start as well once cut out.
ref cooling system. not un heard of for the water pump to fail causin the impeller to fail and not circulate the water propely.
ref injectors. in my experience its not the best idea to clean these injectors i have had it cause lack of power before. but alson egr valves cause the same.
Thank for this info

Will get the system checked, and replace EGR as a starter

ITman
Hi

Have replaced the EGR valve £184-00 including new washer. This is if you swap the old one. (surcharge if you don't)

Engine running sweeter and does not seem to be cutting out at roundabouts.

Also changed the thermostat, now warms up lovely.

Still running lumpy from cold for the first 200yds, then seems to clear. I can live with this.

Merry christmas
Hi

I got that one wrong, it has started cutting out at roundabouts again

ITman
Hi

Found the problem. Changed the thermostat for a third party one. Temp guage read quarter and engine ran better. After about three weeks things got worse and temperature guage read minimum, only rising to quarter in heavy traffic then dropping back.

Had a engine code done and everything seemed OK except for the following:
Cylinder Head Temp = 71 degrees
Engine Coolant Temp = 73 degrees

Removed thermostat which said 88 degrees on it

Bit the bullet and bought a Ford Thermostat £45 inc gasket !!!!

Temp guage now reads Half, engine runs better and does not cut out on roundabouts, as yet.

Ford thermostat reads Motorcraft 88 - 102 degrees

ITman