BMW New or used? - meldrew
Help! I have promised my wife a 3 series BMW for
her birthday. We have narrowed it down to a 318tiSE
Compact.

THe final decision is new or used. It would appear that
nearly new is not far off the same price as brand new.
We have looked at imports but the price difference again
is not massive and I am not sure I trust the specs.

Is this a case of pay up and shut up and buy a new one?
P S Any saving gets spent on the house!

Meldrew
(I just do not believe it!)
So near zero depreciation in 10 months?
Sounds like I should buy new then.

Meldrew
(I do not believe it!)
BMW New or used? - midlifecrisis
A recent report (sponsered by Alliance and Leicester I think)suggested that the BMW Three series were one of the few models that should be bought new. They can apparently be run for 12months with very little depreciation. There is info on their web site.
BMW New or used? - The Watcher
If you do your homework on an import and DON'T use companies like Virgin, Eurekar etc, you can still save £3k on a new Compact.

As for not trusting the spec, come on! Euro dealers, especially those used to selling imports to the UK know all about UK spec even down to the glovebox rechargeable torch!

Im waiting for my 320d SE from Germany and am saving £5k over UK BMW dealer prices.

Frankly, I wouldn't touch a UK dealer again until the prices are withing a grand of Euro prices. And that won't happen for a long, long time.
BMW New or used? - CM
I bought a 2nd hand 530dT with 10k/1year under its belt and saved over 20% on a new one. It was an ex-BMW managers car and I did not have to wait 3-6 months before getting it. Also when it comes to warranty work, I always am asked whether it is an import or not ( I wonder what the consequences would be if it was an import?)

I did consider an import but needed a car quickly due to an increase in the family size.
BMW New or used? - geoffken
Not sure if you realise it but it normally takes 9 months to add to a family.
Unless you acquire a divorcee /single mother of course
BMW New or used? - CM
9 months? You sure about that now?

I thought that I could have gotten away with not changing the car but SWMBO seemed to buy half of Britain for tthe kid so needed something a bigger.
BMW New or used? - Armitage Shanks{P}
I think that the dealer can find out for himself if it is an import by checking the VIN no in his computer. Of course, it is an 'import' whatever anybody says! If you are lucky it was 'imported' from Germany and if you are not so lucky it was 'imported' from South Africa!
Who are you importing it through. Self or a company?

Meldrew
(I just do not believe it)
Which Importer? - meldrew
Forgot the quote!
See above
If you do your homework on an import and DON'T use
companies like Virgin, Eurekar etc, you can still save £3k on
a new Compact.
As for not trusting the spec, come on! Euro dealers, especially
those used to selling imports to the UK know all about
UK spec even down to the glovebox rechargeable torch!
Im waiting for my 320d SE from Germany and am saving
£5k over UK BMW dealer prices.
Frankly, I wouldn't touch a UK dealer again until the prices
are withing a grand of Euro prices. And that won't happen
for a long, long time.
BMW New or used? - keithb
If you do your homework on an import and DON'T use
companies like Virgin, Eurekar etc, you can still save £3k on
a new Compact.
As for not trusting the spec, come on! Euro dealers, especially
those used to selling imports to the UK know all about
UK spec even down to the glovebox rechargeable torch!

Ties in exactly with my experience. My Dutch BMW dealer told me that he sells more cars to the UK than Holland & Belgium combined! (250 in 2000) Wheels, torch, interior mirror, steering wheel, child seat ISO fixings, first aid kit/warning triangle etc. had to be added or changed and the car is exactly to UK spec even down to a card in the fuse box which is marked UK, showing fuse locations.

Order a brochure from bmw.co.uk to check the foreign dealer's invoice/spec.

£5K is a very good saving on a 320d especially at current exchange rates. I saved just over £5K on a 330d but exchange rates were 5% higher then.
BMW New or used? - Chris C
Same here! I got my BMW 320D SE from Belgium in January 2000 and saved £4500. Looking to change for a new one now but savings are not as good this time round with my Belgium dealer. Can you let me know where you are getting yours from? It looks like you have a great deal!! Or if anyone else has any good contacts, please can you let me have the details!