02 1.6 Overheating problem - sar25
Hey...

I have a Fiesta Zetec S, It has been overheating for a very long time now!
I have had a new themostat, rad & new heater matrix hoses as they split.
The heater sometimes blows out cold air, I'll be travelling for 10 mins in the car after not using it all night,...The fan kicks in the temp gauge starts rising towards red, then when going up a hill it will hit the middle & going down it continues to rise!
Could this be an air lock???

I have just had the car back from the garage & they seem to think it's all ok now, They said it was something to do with an Oval ring???

Can anyone give me any advise?
Thanks Sarah

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/11/2008 at 19:03

02 1.6 Overheating Fiesta - Screwloose
Sarah

Yet another case of a faulty heater control valve causing mayhem on a Zetec-S.

Change the valve on the bulkhead for the modified type.
02 1.6 Overheating Fiesta - sar25
Thanks for getting back to me, I'll try that then.

Is this a common problem with the Zetec-S then?

Sarah

Yes!!! Very.
Hmmm great lol, Time for another car i think :-)
Sarah

I wouldn't bail over a £37 valve that takes a few minutes to fit.

I was one of the first to have to find this little nasty and I've seen it bamboozle many a garage since.
If im honest i wouldn't sell my car, It is a great car apart from the overheating business.

I'll get that done & thanks for the advise...
02 1.6 Overheating Fiesta - Newsstudent
My 01 1.6 Zetec Fiesta ( Ghia with air con) had the same problem with the heater control coolant valve, the heater stopped working altogether a couple of weeks ago. But at the same time, the engine would overheat on load. The car has done about 100,000 miles, trouble free.
The heater control valve has been replaced and now the heater works very well. It now seems to have the symptoms reported on other threads where the radiator seems to work. i.e. gets hot soon after the engine has been started, the engine temperature is OK ( middle of gauge for say 15 minutes driving) and then when the car is driven reasonably hard at 60 or above, the fan comes on, stays on and cools the radiator right down and there seems to be no flow through the rad at all.
Could this be some intermittent blockage or airlock affecting the radiator? The garage has changed the thermostat and that has had no effect.
Perhaps it is time to get them to take the radiator off and flush or check whether the flow is heavily restricted?