Liverpool to Solihull - traffic woes? - Wee Willie Winkie
Evening all,

I've got a meeting in Solihull (B90 4LH for you Google Map fans) at 09:30 on Thursday morning. I'll be travelling from Liverpool so common sense tells me to take M57/M62/M6/M6 toll/M42. However, I haven't done the M6 gamble for some time...... Was banking on leaving home at 06:30 to give me a 60 minute buffer in case of traffic problems.

Is this enough - or should I accept the inevitable and take my sleeping bag?

Cheers,
DB
Liverpool to Solihull - traffic woes? - rtj70
I'd say that might be touch and go. Is the train not an option. You might get away with that.

You're coming off before the worst bit of the M6 at Birmingham but the M42 can be stop start.

Rob
The train is an option - but to be honest I'd really rather not! I'd actually prefer to leave home at, say, 05:30!
Liverpool to Solihull - traffic woes? - gordonbennet
I think your timings are fine DB, unless there's a prang somewhere, your only jam should be for funnelling into the M42 where it goes down to 2 lanes at Coleshill, although it might be worth leaving a few minutes earlier to get past the possible Jct19 hiccup.
Safe journey.
Liverpool to Solihull - traffic woes? - Rattle
I am not sure if this would be any use for you, but you could set off at 7:18 9:31 would probably be too late.

LIVERPOOL LIME STREET 07:18 Train LONDON MIDLAND
BIRMINGHAM NEW STREET 08:58 08:58 Foot
BIRMINGHAM MOOR STREET 09:20 09:20 Train LONDON MIDLAND
SOLIHULL 09:31

The 6:35 one would get you there for 9:04. Trains do have problems but tend to be more more reliable. I have been from Manchester to London by train about 20 times now, only twice it was late and one of them was by 10 minutes, the other was in one of the worst rain storms ever and thw westcoast mainline was flooded, the car would have been just as delayed.
Liverpool to Solihull - traffic woes? - Bill Payer
The annoying thing is that if you have a good run you would easily do it in 2hrs.

An extra hour *should* be fine - unless it's absolutely vital that you get there.
Thanks for the input all - I'll endeavour to report back on how it went....!

Cheers,
DB
Well, I set off at 06:15 and arrived in Solihull at 08:30, a full 60 minutes early.... This was using M57/M62/M6/M6 Toll/M42.

The return journey commenced at 13:30 and I walked in the door at home at 16:10.

So, all in all - not too bad......

Ps. The Alfa didn't miss a beat on its first real run out.....