02 2.0HDi engine gone bang! - iconiC
Hi there, hope you can help,

the engine on my 2002 Pug Boxer 2.0 HDi has gone bang, the engine is a DW10DT series but the engine code isn't RHY it's DYER, this maybe because these vans are built in Italy by FIAT like the Relay so the nomenclature is different?

....would any normal flavour RHY 2.0HDi 8v non intercooler 90bhp engine fit or is the Boxer something different?

I ask becuase I can not get a Boxer lump but 406/306/Xsara/C5 etc engines are everywhere and cheap too....I expect to chop a few bits and bobs over...my Boxer has the Bosch common rail system so would likie to go for a another Bosch power engine to make things simple!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/11/2008 at 12:40

02 2.0HDi engine gone bang! - Screwloose

The commercial version of the HDi has many detail differences and could be a nightmare to swap.

It will probably be an RHV with a Bosch EDC15C7 system - and that is totally different to the car's system too. Lots of components the cars just don't have.

What happened to the engine? They're usually mechanically tough.
02 2.0HDi engine gone bang! - iconiC
Many thanks for the prompt reply,

Yes, totally agree these DW10 engines are super tough and don't normally go bang, from what a friend tells me who works for Peugeot it's very, very rare...even when they break timing belts it's normally only the cam rocker fingers that break....in it's one reason I bought the Boxer....he isn't up to speed with Boxer engine transplants as they haven't ever had to do though, hence the post!

My Boxer ingested something into No1 pot and wrecked the piston, head, guide's, valves, seats on that cylinder...although after 131k miles she looks like brand new inside (the good bits!) with simply no visible wear on the bores, pistons and crank bearings so I'm double gutted.....she even had full Pug service history too, rare for a van.
We can't acutally find what went into the engine, she just lost power on the cruise in 5th gear at 50 mph at running temp and then made a rattle like a football rattle (if ya old enough to remember one) and then went very 'tight' due to the No1 piston 'mushrooming' at the every top..maybe part of the EGR system fell apart or something as the turbo is fine, must be something 'clean filter side' though, it was large enough to bend and break a valve guide, but strangly the injector and heat plug are 100%....the fuel spray must of kept the 'foreign body' away for this area?

Yesterday I managed to buy a used Pug Partner engine/box/axle complete with all pumps, alternator and all Bosch FIE for £100 and will use the head, piston and conrod to get the original engine up and running for the moment, until something else comes up.

I now know that DW10DT (and DW10 ATD intercooler) engines use the same internal components (crank/rods/pistons) and block/head, its the bits around and under the engine, as you said, in your reply that makes the difference....Boxer, Relay have the turbo mounted with induction from nearside is one such difference.

many thanks in advance for any help
02 2.0HDi engine gone bang! - Screwloose

The Partner unit is more car-based than the Boxer one; but that sounds a workable plan. Without reference to the parts software, I can't say if every one of those parts mentioned is identical, but they stand a reasonable chance.

Keep everything as standard as possible; don't mix and match components and fuelling. "Bitzas" are near-impossible to fault-find at a later date and can often lead to the write off of a vehicle.