2005 1.6 Electrical/Warning Light Problem - mdt_y2k
Hi there.

My girlfriend's 05 plate Streetka has just started to act strangely.

The ABS light on the dash started flickering about a week ago, not staying on for any determinate time before going off again, sometimes happening once a journey, or every five secs. Then we were out and the Ignition/Battery warning light came on while driving and stayed on. We tried turning all non-essential electrics off but to no avail. I also noticed that the headlights, on dipped beam, seem to get dim/bright as you rev the accelerator. I'm not sure if all of these are linked (possibly alternator not providing power?) or three seperate problems. As a non mechanical minded person, thought I'd see if anyone can help on here.

Any advice will be appreciated as we spoke to the Ford garage, and they quoted £160 just to run the diagnostics!

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/11/2008 at 00:02

2005 1.6 2005 Streetka Electrical/Warning Light Pr - Screwloose

This sounds as though the alternator isn't charging correctly. There should be codes stored in both the ABS and the engine management ECUs giving further info.

Unless it's under warranty and you have to go to a dealer; most garages now have the means to read the codes.