2009 1.9tdi Engine oil for time & distance service - Touran Man
I have a new Touran 1.9tdi 105 bhp on order, and delivery due in Jan. 2009.
My current 2005 Touran 1.9tdi is subject to a service & maintenance contract, and was supplied under the variable regime terms. The oil is Castrol SLX fully synthetic. I do about 9,000 miles/year, and I noticed that VW recommend time and distance service for 10,000 and below mileages.

It is my intention to have time and distance specified from the start. For my previous Golf estate, I used VW Quantum semi-synthetic oil, and changed the oil and filter at 5,000 mile intervals.

Checking the Castrol reference chart on line, I find two recommendations:
Touran 1.9tdi QG1 says to use EDGE 5W-30
Touran 1.9tdi QG2 says to use EDGE TURBO DIESEL 5W-40
The car is a turbo-diesel, but what is the difference between QG1 and QG2?

I believe that EDGE is a fully synthetic oil. If this is what is in the engine on delivery, will it be better to stay with this and only do a 10,000 mile oil and filter change, or would semi-synthetic oil and filter change at 5,000 miles give better protection?
Or would the differences be too insignificant to make the 5,000 mile change worthwhile.

Regards, Touran Man

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/11/2008 at 12:38

2009 1.9tdi Engine oil for time & distance service - Altea Ego
Use castrol edge fully synth and change it every 10k. My Touran was on variable (serviced twice at 18k and 36k) and the turbo was whining at 42k and two years old when it went back. The variable 18k service is too long.

The seat (with the same engine) has done 22k and had two services already (it has no variable service option)
2009 1.9tdi Engine oil for time & distance service - rtj70
I had two long term VWs as lease cars and both could have been on variable servicing but it seems the lease company (wisely) chose not to take that option. So they needed servicing every 10000 miles.
2009 1.9tdi Engine oil for time & distance service - Touran Man
When I take delivery of my new Touran (est. late-Jan 2009), my current 2005 one will have done between 33,000 and 35,000 miles. Hopefully, I should escape any turbo problems if your 42,000 miles is typical. In any case, the present car is covered by a VW service and mainteneance contract until nearly mid-Feb.

The comments seem to confirm what I have always suspected; that the variable service regime is not as protective as the 10,000miles/12 months service. So my new Touran will get the T&D from the start.
2009 1.9tdi Engine oil for time & distance service - IveGotATouran
At 45000 miles my Turbo packed in entirely and was replaced by VW dealer with a refurbed part under the extended warranty scheme. This part immediately failed and was replaced after heated negoatiation and against VW procedures with a new Turbo.

Ive read a number of reviews that give a similar time to Fail for the Turbo in Touran / Sharan / Passat TDI cars. Certainly was for me.

Imagine being in the outside lane of the motor way and you turbo suddnely gives up giving you no acceleration, worse still when you are 150miles from home!
2009 1.9tdi Engine oil for time & distance service - valmiki
The car is a turbo-diesel but what is the difference between QG1 and QG2?

according to the Castrol website:

"3. Service Interval QG1 = Flexible Service Interval (Long-life service). Service Interval QG0/2 = Time/distance dependent interval (non-flexible)"

I'm hoping that's what it means as it offers QG1 and QG2 for my 2.0 tdi too!

valmiki